The true meaning of English phrases

It has occurred to me just how much I use the phrase, "fair enough", while at work. What I am really saying to an individual in this context though is, "I understand and I accept (whatever the situation is) but I do not agree". 

There are a lot of phrases in the English language which have these hidden meanings, what are some others you have come across? 

(and keep it clean!) 

On 25/11/2023 at 08:49, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It has occurred to me just how much I use the phrase, "fair enough", while at work. What I am really saying to an individual in this context though is, "I understand and I accept (whatever the situation is) but I do not agree". 

There are a lot of phrases in the English language which have these hidden meanings, what are some others you have come across? 

(and keep it clean!)

The one doing the round last few years I hate

"It is what is is" 

Oh and "fair play to...."

• Like 1

I do think this is where non native English speakers must really struggle when learning English. Saying that even Americans that speak English really struggle with English phrases and things like sarcasm.

When you really think about it much of what we say does have a completely different meaning.

• Like 1

"With all due respect ..." is a classic one.

In Pariamentary debates: "My right honourable friend ..."

Private Eye, while talking about a woman MP (or celebrity) who's been fairly free with her favours; The "much-loved Member/presenter/actress/singer/aristocrat"

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

59 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do think this is where non native English speakers must really struggle when learning English. Saying that even Americans that speak English really struggle with English phrases and things like sarcasm.

When you really think about it much of what we say does have a completely different meaning.

This is very true. One I've seen Americans comment on is the British greeting, "alright?" which we know is simply a substitute for, "hello" but I've seen Americans say that in their country if you are to ask someone if they are, "alright?" then it means you are genuinely concerned about their wellbeing, maybe because you think they look unwell or in distress or something. 

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I have no idea what eggs over easy are.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Wolford6 said:

Perhaps they are in a woman who is over easy?

That would certainly change my understanding of many American films.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, Chanter said:

The usual one for me is when someone asks 'How are you?'

For most, the usual answer is 'alright' or 'fine' when some days I'm sure, some people are not. lol

On occasions, my response has been, "Thanks for asking. How long have you got? To be honest, I'm seldom free from pain. It starts in my ......(insert suitable embarrassing organ here) ....."

They tend not to ask again....

Edited by JohnM

Having been in Canada so long it’s still pompously gratifying that an English accent (and a Yorkshire one at that, not an Oxbridge version of what North Americans think is an ‘English’ accent) can still enable me to be able to tell people to go forth and multiply without actually swearing. 

“Good DAY, sir!” carries the F off vibe enormously well.  And only a couple have cottoned onto the see you next Tuesday/there we are then usage in the occasional meeting when they take a turn for the worse 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanaBull said:

Having been in Canada so long it’s still pompously gratifying that an English accent (and a Yorkshire one at that, not an Oxbridge version of what North Americans think is an ‘English’ accent) can still enable me to be able to tell people to go forth and multiply without actually swearing. 

“Good DAY, sir!” carries the F off vibe enormously well.  And only a couple have cottoned onto the see you next Tuesday/there we are then usage in the occasional meeting when they take a turn for the worse 😆

Ever met Turdeau?

23 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Ever met Turdeau?

Thankfully not, but he’s the soggy crust on a particularly unpleasant political class pie.  We’re about a decade behind the UK generally in outlook so expect it to get worse too. 

I have met Doug Ford and Dalton McGuinty who were both uncomfortably overly sweaty.  A few mayors as well, but there are few politicians over here that you don’t feel somewhat soiled and need to have a good wash after meeting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

In the old days prisoners were taken to the gallows and the cart stopped at pubs so people could see the condemned. The coach master took a cut from the publican and was offered a drink for the journey known as 

"One for the road?"

Coincidentally I listened to a podcast just yesterday about the history of highwaymen in this country and this was mentioned in that. 

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Coincidentally I listened to a podcast just yesterday about the history of highwaymen in this country and this was mentioned in that. 

It's sadly not remotely true.

EDIT

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/one-for-the-roads-scholar/

Edited by gingerjon

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's sadly not remotely true.

EDIT

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/one-for-the-roads-scholar/

That's very interesting. I believe this is similar to the origins of the idea that humans eat a number of spiders in the night throughout the year. Again it is not true at all and was simply something someone made up and posted on the Internet in the early days of the Internet to demonstrate how quickly information could travel on it. 

I will say as well that the podcast I listened to was 'a short history of highwaymen' on BBC sounds. Its reassuring to know that the BBC thoroughly research their facts before offering them up to the public. Of course we know their ###### poor (proves I read the article 😉) record on this from how much rubbish they put across in QI. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose