England eye answers over 2024 Samoan test series

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

"One way of forcing their hand can be for International Rugby League to decline them a place in next year’s Pacific Championship"

Is that actually possible? It's not the IRL's tournament to decide that, is it? I would guess at most that they wouldn't sanction their games as test matches, so no ranking points, but even that would be unlikely and an awful slippery slope. Happy to be corrected though...

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, stookie said:

"One way of forcing their hand can be for International Rugby League to decline them a place in next year’s Pacific Championship"

Is that actually possible? It's not the IRL's tournament to decide that, is it? I would guess at most that they wouldn't sanction their games as test matches, so no ranking points, but even that would be unlikely and an awful slippery slope. Happy to be corrected though...

Even the ranking points wouldn't have any real effect. We don't need them yet for entry to pre-WC qualifiers but Samoa, as finalists last time round, would be automatic qualifiers next WC. If we had a lot more viable national teams and there was a tougher path to get into a WC final 16 (or 12 or whatever) then the IRL might have some leverage.

If you remember Samoa's last "England tour", there were no repercussions then.

Edited by Farmduck

26 minutes ago, stookie said:

I think you're right. Pretty sure the WC remains the IRL's only property.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Can anyone summarise what the report in the link says?

England / Samoa to continue discussion and hope to have a definitive decision by end of year.

Samoa "have been told to rethink their decision", but nothing was signed so it's inferred there is nothing that can be forced. But they then follow up with that weird bit I quoted earlier.

Samoa may not tour, and this apparently has "thrown the supposedly six-team Pacific Championship into chaos".

Random dig at Huddersfield. Wigan, Hull and Leeds preferred venues; nothing about London or Newcastle et al.

If Samoa don't tour, then PNG favourite, apparently, somehow.

Edit: I tried not to editorialise, but man, that article made it difficult.

Edited by stookie
  • Like 1

I’m not sure England can force a decision by the end of the year … what’s our leverage … if you don’t come we’ll erm … erm … erm … please come!

• Haha 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

21 hours ago, stookie said:

Time will tell.

On 06/12/2023 at 11:08, Pulga said:

I think you're right. Pretty sure the WC remains the IRL's only property.

Yes, and the (current mothballed) World 9's. 

However, PVL and Abdo are both on the the IRL board and essentially they are the money (and power) behind the Pacific Championships. So if they want something to happen internationally, it can. 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2023 at 19:40, The Future is League said:

It's funny how the article makes it sound like IRL are demanding samoa to travel or else lol Its pretty obvious Samoa asked Tonga for feedback of the tour and they didn't get a very good response from the Tongans. The atmosphere felt boring and the officials for the 3 tests felt flat. If I was in the Samoan camp I would request for a Aussie ref to control all 3 games before agreeing to tour England

3 minutes ago, Mojo said:

It's funny how the article makes it sound like IRL are demanding samoa to travel or else lol Its pretty obvious Samoa asked Tonga for feedback of the tour and they didn't get a very good response from the Tongans. The atmosphere felt boring and the officials for the 3 tests felt flat. If I was in the Samoan camp I would request for a Aussie ref to control all 3 games before agreeing to tour England

don't forget the whole Samoan team is Australian mate, would be a bit hypocritical.

29 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Even a kiwi ref would be good

yeah I do agree, A referee should never be referring their own country. I reckon that they weren't bothered to find refs from outside England for the series, but I believe it's very important that they do. They should have had French refs.

• Like 1