NRL Under Fire for not working with rugby league clubs in the USA

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-caught-in-embarrassing-usa-blunder-204410/

Good Article, Proves even more how little this trip is actually about growing rugby league in America.

The NRL have no interest in growing rugby league in America, if they did they would help establish grassroots rugby league across the country. All they care about is more rich men having eyes on the “Prestigious NRL”.

There`s a lot of people out there in this country either death riding this venture or itching for something to go wrong, I expect this minor blunder on what has otherwise been a faultless roll-out, will provide those people (usually those with ties to fumbleball or just plain League haters) with something to ##### and moan about as if the sky was falling in.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There`s a lot of people out there in this country either death riding this venture or itching for something to go wrong, I expect this minor blunder on what has otherwise been a faultless roll-out, will provide those people (usually those with ties to fumbleball or just plain League haters) with something to ##### and moan about as if the sky was falling in.

I am Aussie and I’m not itching for anything to go wrong. This whole scheme was a joke from the start, I couldn’t care less if the NRL make a bit more money and some Las Vegas millionaires gain an interest in the sport. 

what annoys me is that the NRL are making out that they are attempting to grow rugby league in the US and that is just complete dribble.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

What kind of “flawless roll out” doesn’t even advertise or teach the right sport.

when Aaron Woods was being interviewed on TV, the sport was only referred to as “rugby ” and they made no effort to educate the audience about the difference between union and league.

And then the players go and help out at rugby union training camps, it’s embarrassing.

I guarantee in march very very few Americans will have any idea the NRL is playing a different sport to the rugby they have likely heard about.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

I am Aussie and I’m not itching for anything to go wrong. This whole scheme was a joke from the start, I couldn’t care less if the NRL make a bit more money and some Las Vegas millionaires gain an interest in the sport. 

what annoys me is that the NRL are making out that they are attempting to grow rugby league in the US and that is just complete dribble.

I`ve been following this venture pretty closely and I`ve heard Abdo say straight up several times this venture is about gaming revenue and a possible broadcast deal, growing League in America hardly at all.  And to say "the whole scheme was a joke from the start" says more about you and your lack of nous than the venture so far, whom 99% of people would say has been extraordinarily well run.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's almost unbelievable that this could happen. It's like the All blacks going to a league club to do similar work and we know that would not happen.

The NRL are not even interested in taking the game out of the Eastern Seaboard States of Aussie. Who really knows what their intensions are?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frank said:

It's almost unbelievable that this could happen. It's like the All blacks going to a league club to do similar work and we know that would not happen.

The NRL are not even interested in taking the game out of the Eastern Seaboard States of Aussie. Who really knows what their intensions are?

Their intentions are money and only Money.

To them, the NRL is a business, not a sports league.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I`ve been following this venture pretty closely and I`ve heard Abdo say straight up several times this venture is about gaming revenue and a possible broadcast deal, growing League in America hardly at all.  And to say "the whole scheme was a joke from the start" says more about you and your lack of nous than the venture so far, whom 99% of people would say has been extraordinarily well run.

are you Andrew Abdo in disguise?

you seem like you're profiting from the NRL's income.

If Abdo was so open admitting this was only for money, I'm sure he wouldn't be trying to win people over by sending Spencer Leniu to a union club or having a combine of 50 College athletes to join the NRL. No rugby league fan is a supporter of the NRL going over there simply for profit over the growth of the sport (except you it seems). 

how would it feel for the few struggling rugby league clubs in America that have been completely left in the dust by a corporation who have promised to grow the sport in America. The fact that these people are in charge of the ARL/NRL does fill me with high hopes for the future. They have lied to fans about growth just so they can get a few more dollars in their back pockets.

It's an embarrassment.

9 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Isn't there like 7 different USA rugby league federations?

Well the USARL is the only actual one. The California Rugby League just announced to themselves one day that they are the new USA rugby league commission it was completely lies though.

Edited by NRLandSL

32 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

In the Vegas thread, it is confirmed that the Utah RL, the one that the NRL ignored as part of their spotless roll out of perfection, is affiliated to the USARL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

Did any American rl clubs make any significant effort to engage with the Nrl?

The NRL have had contact with the USARL over the Vegas venture, although to what extent is unknown. You'd think they would at least have mentioned there being a couple of good local RL competitions (Pacific Coast and Utah) just down the road.

This is an embarrassing episode for the NRL, several sites are starting to pick up on the story so hopefully they have become aware of it and will take some remedial action.

• Like 4

It doesn't matter whether the Vegas venture is primarily about growing RL in America or making gambling money. The important point is that there are NRL games being played there so it is an opportunity to do both as they are mutually beneficial goals with plenty of overlap to achieving them.

3 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

are you Andrew Abdo in disguise?

you seem like you're profiting from the NRL's income.

If Abdo was so open admitting this was only for money, I'm sure he wouldn't be trying to win people over by sending Spencer Leniu to a union club or having a combine of 50 College athletes to join the NRL. No rugby league fan is a supporter of the NRL going over there simply for profit over the growth of the sport (except you it seems). 

how would it feel for the few struggling rugby league clubs in America that have been completely left in the dust by a corporation who have promised to grow the sport in America. The fact that these people are in charge of the ARL/NRL does fill me with high hopes for the future. They have lied to fans about growth just so they can get a few more dollars in their back pockets.

It's an embarrassment.

Sorry NRLandSL, I've been following this closely also, and Rocket is right, this has not ever been about growing RL in the US at the grass roots level; it's always been about promoting the NRL as a top tier comp for gambling and broadcast purposes. They copped some flack over it, and then belatedly it seems made some contact with the USARL.

3 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Their intentions are money and only Money.

To them, the NRL is a business, not a sports league.

See, even NRLandSL agrees with us.

3 minutes ago, stookie said:

Sorry NRLandSL, I've been following this closely also, and Rocket is right, this has not ever been about growing RL in the US at the grass roots level; it's always been about promoting the NRL as a top tier comp for gambling and broadcast purposes. They copped some flack over it, and then belatedly it seems made some contact with the USARL.

See, even NRLandSL agrees with us.

Doesn’t really matter what the intentions are either way. It’s embarrassing that they would send NRL matches to America and not use it as a platform to grow the sport there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

It doesn't matter whether the Vegas venture is primarily about growing RL in America or making gambling money. The important point is that there are NRL games being played there so it is an opportunity to do both as they are mutually beneficial goals with plenty of overlap to achieving them.

It very well might spark some interest but you have to question, are many of the people who garner an interest  in rugby from this going to begin following league?

If an American wanted to play or watch rugby there only option would be union. I can’t see how anyone would stay interested in a sport that is barely alive in your country. 

Some people may think rugby league is cool at first but when they release it barely exists in America they will just flock to union. This won’t do anything for the sport in the long term.

Bloody hell even in a interview in a NFL half time show they were calling it rugby.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Doesn’t really matter what the intentions are either way. It’s embarrassing that they would send NRL matches to America and not use it as a platform to grow the sport there.

Look, I agree, and I would have done things differently. But it does put a different slant on their time with the union players if their main focus is generating interest and getting people to attend & watch.

My one hope is that because the US RL seasons are run in the summer (I believe), they are saving their interaction for when the players are actually training & playing RL. But who knows.

3 hours ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

The previous US bodies claiming oversight of the game are now defunct, it is just the USARL who remain, and they are the internationally recognised body.

Beneath that there are 4 functional regional competitions in the NE, SE, California and Utah. Each of these is affiliated to the USARL (the NE one currently unofficially I think).

The overall situation over there seems quite stable, at present, and the game is growing again after the chaos and disruption caused by NARL, CRL and Covid.

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The previous US bodies claiming oversight of the game are now defunct, it is just the USARL who remain, and they are the internationally recognised body.

Beneath that there are 4 functional regional competitions in the NE, SE, California and Utah. Each of these is affiliated to the USARL (the NE one currently unofficially I think).

The overall situation over there seems quite stable, at present, and the game is growing again after the chaos and disruption caused by NARL, CRL and Covid.

The USARL took some stick earlier this year when they selected players from the Rugby League United comp, basically the NE comp, to play Jamaica IIRC because the RLU isn’t currently affiliated to the USARL.

Edited by Gomersall