SuperLeague+ Streaming Platform Launch

5 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Sky will pay circa 10 to 15k for additional games- 6 cameras, basic coverage 

1 camera coverage is about 1k or so. 

1 championship game a week with 6 cameras and 2 with one camera would suffice 

If a paid for service is being offered I’m expecting the same broadcast service for all games. It shouldn't be done on the cheap, if they are cutting down on cameras and presentation we may as well stick with the our league solution

39 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Sky will pay circa 10 to 15k for additional games- 6 cameras, basic coverage 

1 camera coverage is about 1k or so. 

1 championship game a week with 6 cameras and 2 with one camera would suffice 

But who is paying for it?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

If a paid for service is being offered I’m expecting the same broadcast service for all games. It shouldn't be done on the cheap, if they are cutting down on cameras and presentation we may as well stick with the our league solution

Shouldn't it? 

1 camera is what league 1 and 2 football gets. 

Why pay 15k to broadcast when 1k job will get similar amounts of viewers and money 

A showpiece Championship game and 2 others streamed alongside SL games could attract rugby league fans with Sky to pay £100. 

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I wouldn't be swapping Sky subscription for SL+ if it was just the games, the biggest interest to me would be the extra's if there is exclusive content and a big archive of games Id be very tempted to get SL+ along with Sky.

As a Sky subscriber, I don't see anything that would entice me, but I'm not necessarily their market. I can absolutely see a market for people who just want to pay say £20 for RL and not have to subscribe to the full sky package. It probably starts to compare to Now Sky Sports, and I'm not sure whether Now would give you access to the Sky app games. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

But who is paying for it?

RFL would. They'd hope to then make money back from people like me with Sky who won't subscribe for Super league plus. 

Issue is that most championship games would get sub 1k views, so you could only give 1 game decent coverage (6 camera) 

Edited by Rugbyleaguesupporter
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Shouldn't it? 

1 camera is what league 1 and 2 football gets. 

Why pay 15k to broadcast when 1k job will get similar amounts of viewers and money 

A showpiece Championship game and 2 others streamed alongside SL games could attract rugby league fans with Sky to pay £100. 

Football don’t need the angles RL does. If we want to be a serious sport the elite division deserves the best coverage  

The cost or extras available of this service will be key. I am a neutral and I subscribe to sky mainly for Football, RL, Darts and Cricket in that order. If sky continue to show Super League games every week I am unlikely to subscribe to another service unless the costs are right or there are other incentives. 

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

I expect the coverage will be more like what it is in Cataalns games. The number of cameras and angles is noticeably fewer.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

The cost or extras available of this service will be key. I am a neutral and I subscribe to sky mainly for Football, RL, Darts and Cricket in that order. If sky continue to show Super League games every week I am unlikely to subscribe to another service unless the costs are right or there are other incentives. 

It does sound like Sky will have exclusive live coverage of the biggest games of the year though - things like the Hull Derbies and Wigan v Saints etc.

Maybe fans of clubs at the other end of the table will get better value here

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

And Super League will- but 1 camera for most Championship games is cost effective and ok given the small audience watching 

What has been announced for championship coverage?  This is a SL streaming platform that has been announced. Unless I’ve missed the bit about other TV deals in the making

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

What has been announced for championship coverage?  This is a SL streaming platform that has been announced. Unless I’ve missed the bit about other TV deals in the making

Nothing- I was speculating as to whether you could add Championship to attract more subscribers. 

Having two apps might confuse people and having championship on SL app might encourage Sky subscribers to buy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Nothing- I was speculating as to whether you could add Championship to attract more subscribers. 

Having two apps might confuse people and having championship on SL app might encourage Sky subscribers to buy 

There will be two apps. One for Sky and one for SL. I guess the SL could be all encompassing, replacing our league. But Sky probably  won’t have the rights the the championship content I guess for their platform

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There will be two apps. One for Sky and one for SL. I guess the SL could be all encompassing, replacing our league. But Sky probably  won’t have the rights the the championship content I guess for their platform

This is where the SL+ app could attach the Sky viewers to also get SL+ I know I would if champ games were on it.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 17:12, Spidey said:

No doubt I’ll have a whinge then 🤣🤣

Without enough camera angles a video ref is pointless, see last years playoff game at odsal where the video ref was asking for a better angle, and there were no cameras on the side of the ground needed to see if it was a try or not.

3 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

The newspaper article could be wrong- but wasn't the App meant to launch today? 

The newspaper article says tomorrow, not today.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Here we go: https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/23/superleague-launched/ 

Launching on 23 January, ahead of the 2024 Betfred Super League season, SuperLeague+ will stream all 167 matches from the competition live internationally, starting on Thursday 15 February with the season opener, one of the sport’s classic derby fixtures between Hull FC and Hull KR.   

In the UK and Republic of Ireland, domestic fans will be able to watch 106 Betfred Super League games live on the service, with the remaining 61 games to be made available delayed and on-demand.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Here we go: https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2024/01/23/superleague-launched/ 

Launching on 23 January, ahead of the 2024 Betfred Super League season, SuperLeague+ will stream all 167 matches from the competition live internationally, starting on Thursday 15 February with the season opener, one of the sport’s classic derby fixtures between Hull FC and Hull KR.   

£19.99 per month with game passes available for £6.99.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)