SuperLeague+ Streaming Platform Launch

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Downloaded it and seems slick. Seems to be available across a decent range of platforms 

No Fire TV version yet, so I'll have to see if Superleague+ works as smoothly in the built-in Silk browser as WatchNRL does.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

£130 for a 12m subscription. £30 discount for club season ticket holders. 

That seems great value. 

That they are streaming all matches internationally is welcome news too, as I know a few foreign-based TRLers were waiting for confirmation of that.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

£130 for 12 months is really good value. It is certainly a real and far cheaper alternative for those that only have Sky for SL and are looking to save money.

That coupled with a NRL pass means you could have a feast of RL, with far more content and for far less, than you get with Sky.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

So am I understanding this right, I could cancel my sky sports subscription and just buy a season pass for this instead?

The games are still shown on this app, albeit some aren't live?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar red said:

Does the season ticket deal only apply to SL clubs or are Championship and L1 clubs included. Hopefully the latter.

Sky don't own the rights to Championship/League 1.

When Premier Sports take back over from Viaplay, they may want to continue showing a weekly Championship match, but this hasn't been announced yet.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Nothus said:

So am I understanding this right, I could cancel my sky sports subscription and just buy a season pass for this instead?

The games are still shown on this app, albeit some aren't live?

It looks like it. Over 100 games streamed live, with only the Sky picks for each round restricted to catch-up. I think quite a lot of people would see this as a good deal, especially fans who feel their club doesn't get televised matches as often as others do.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Sky don't own the rights to Championship/League 1.

When Premier Sports take back over from Viaplay, they may want to continue showing a weekly Championship match, but this hasn't been announced yet.

The question is around the £30 discount for SL ticket holders. I think it would be poor form to exclude Championship and L1 season ticket holders as per the wording.

Edited by Damien

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

The question is around the £30 discount for SL ticket holders. I think it would be poor form to exclude Championship and L1 season ticket holders as per the wording.

Sorry; my mistake. I misread the question. That would be worth finding out and posting on here. I assume that there will be a stage in subscribing where it asks for ST details.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mostly negative reactions on Twitter, surprise surprise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Mostly negative reactions on Twitter, surprise surprise.

I really don't see what there is to be negative about. Its giving a heck of a lot more coverage than the game has ever had before and will hopefully provide a a decent revenue stream.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Impartial Observer said:

I have seen one that says it is too expensive 

A lot of other sports charge £10-15 for a single stream. Some might say £6.99 is undercharging. 

Those same people will moan at everything, and, I wonder how much they do spend, or even how many games they attend. Those with genuine financial issues and not included in that by the way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What are the main criticisms?

I think the main one I've seen is that you need to get Sky and SL+ to see all the games. Not true as I understand it as sky TV customers will still get to see all games live (though presumably not NowTV customers) and SL+ will on delay but there is something better about watching live. I suspect that SL haven't advertised that particularly prominently in their press release (I haven't seen it) which is understandable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope it makes money for the sport in the U.K.

I guess it makes sense to launch this BEFORE definitely confirming the free to air options for fans (I know something was leaked to a paper).

I’m going to hold off for a subscription just now until I can understand what is happening with the new Sky app.

I follow a range of sports as well as rugby league.

2 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I think the main one I've seen is that you need to get Sky and SL+ to see all the games. Not true as I understand it as sky TV customers will still get to see all games live (though presumably not NowTV customers) and SL+ will on delay but there is something better about watching live. I suspect that SL haven't advertised that particularly prominently in their press release (I haven't seen it) which is understandable.

Oh dear, I’ve dumped Sky for Now TV instead so this is disappointing news!

Other bills and expense meant something had to give!

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Oh dear, I’ve dumped Sky for Now TV instead so this is disappointing news!

I also watch using NowTV. The question now is to go cheaper with SL+ and not get the 'best' games of the week live but not miss a game, stick with NowTV and get the 'best' games but not if I'm busy or at work and get to watch cricket as well, or stump up enough for both. Or get sky TV I suppose. If anyone watches ilthe SL+ app through an amazon firestick I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Despite this I still think it is a positive.

Edit: I suppose also taking into account how many and what games are on BBC and then presumably iplayer. Its a nice problem to have!

Edited by glossop saint
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, glossop saint said:

I also watch using NowTV. The question now is to go cheaper with SL+ and not get the 'best' games of the week but not miss a game, stick with NowTV and get the 'best' games but not if I'm busy or at work and get to watch cricket as well, or stump up enough for both. Or get sky TV I suppose. If anyone watches ilthe SL+ app through an amazon firestick I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Despite this I still think it is a positive.

Agreed, choice is usually best for us as fans.

8 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

But people have never been able to watch all games never mind watch them on one platform. It's just a laughable criticism.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What are the main criticisms?

The price, of course. "129.99 f*** that"

Complaints that the Sky games won't be live on the app too.

"I thought this was a real step forward for the sport before finding out Sky will be showing all the games as well. Would be surprised if there are all that many RL followers who don't have Sky." says someone who hasn't been keeping up.

"They need an app on Prime, NowTV, Smart TVs, Virgin & anywhere else people access their premium tv subscriptions from. It's 2024, I'm not ####### about with loading browsers or screen casting."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

If anyone watches ilthe SL+ app through an amazon firestick I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

I just loaded (and bookmarked) the https://www.superleague.co.uk/superleagueplus website in the Fire TV Stick's Silk browser and watched a couple of highlights videos.

A dedicated app would be better of course, but this is exactly the same as when I use WatchNRL - in other words, not much hassle at all.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think it is moderately - only moderately - fair to wonder if it will work easily enough on "your" TV set-up but even if it doesn't you can whack a HDMI cable into your laptop if you need to.

The other criticisms? £20 per month is higher than a lot of other streaming services but you're getting a decent amount in return for that.

It's always been made clear that Sky, as the main rights holder would still have the most appetising offer, so that's not a fair criticism at all.

It also, already, looks like a more solid platform that OuRLeague ever did.

Any Championship offering on there would presumably be dependent on Viaplay/Premier playing ball.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)