SuperLeague+ Streaming Platform Launch

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

The price, of course. "129.99 f*** that"

Complaints that the Sky games won't be live on the app too.

"I thought this was a real step forward for the sport before finding out Sky will be showing all the games as well. Would be surprised if there are all that many RL followers who don't have Sky." says someone who hasn't been keeping up.

"They need an app on Prime, NowTV, Smart TVs, Virgin & anywhere else people access their premium tv subscriptions from. It's 2024, I'm not ####### about with loading browsers or screen casting."

You can’t please everyone I guess and there’s very few free dinners in life.

Guess it’s best to tackle these issues at an early stage.

Ultimately as far as I can see the amount of games is only going up and for that there’s always going to be a cost.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I just loaded (and bookmarked) the https://www.superleague.co.uk/superleagueplus website in the Fire TV Stick's Silk browser and watched a couple of highlights videos.

A dedicated app would be better of course, but this is exactly the same as when I use WatchNRL - in other words, not much hassle at all.

I think I saw in one article that there would be a fire app so hopefully it's coming along at some point.

3 minutes ago, Alffi 7 said:

Is it confirmed the 6 games will be live and free on Sky every week? I thought I read somewhere that was just for the first 15 weeks of the year?

This is what I am waiting on confirmation for. I moved from BT to Sky on the principal I would get access to all SL games (via their channels or red button/other platform). I'd be a bit miffed if I didnt get access to it all via what ever channel they choose to send you via.

It sounds like sky are launching their own streaming app to coincide with the football season launch. Assuming this is where the SL games will go after round 15 and they revert back to 2 games a week.

To my knowledge, it hasn't been confirmed that you will get free access to the new sky app. But it also hasn't been indicated that you'll be charged for it either.

Edited by tiffers
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think it is moderately - only moderately - fair to wonder if it will work easily enough on "your" TV set-up but even if it doesn't you can whack a HDMI cable into your laptop if you need to.

The other criticisms? £20 per month is higher than a lot of other streaming services but you're getting a decent amount in return for that.

It's always been made clear that Sky, as the main rights holder would still have the most appetising offer, so that's not a fair criticism at all.

It also, already, looks like a more solid platform that OuRLeague ever did.

Any Championship offering on there would presumably be dependent on Viaplay/Premier playing ball.

And let's not forget Sky are still paying circa £21 million for that right.

It also gives some perspective to just how expensive streaming alone would need to be as a replacement for Sky, as some like to wish on here.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I think I saw in one article that there would be a fire app so hopefully it's coming along at some point.

I hear it can take longer (and cost extra) to get acceptance onto the Amazon app system, so maybe.

But it is a relief to know it is easy to access the service without the app.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

43 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I also watch using NowTV. The question now is to go cheaper with SL+ and not get the 'best' games of the week live but not miss a game, stick with NowTV and get the 'best' games but not if I'm busy or at work and get to watch cricket as well, or stump up enough for both. Or get sky TV I suppose. If anyone watches ilthe SL+ app through an amazon firestick I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Despite this I still think it is a positive.

Edit: I suppose also taking into account how many and what games are on BBC and then presumably iplayer. Its a nice problem to have!

If you have Sky Sports through Now TV you'll be able to get every game anyway, so you won't need Superleague+ at all.

• Thanks 5

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

I just don't see any negative of this as it stands. 

If you have to pay for Sky's streaming app then that is a challenge. But we'll see after the first 15 rds. Hopefully the app is just overflow and included in Sky Sports packages. 

You can watch every game live on Sky for a hefty fee (but you get loads of other things. 

Or you can watch 4 live SL games (plus 2 on delay) per week for between £8.50-20 per month. 

It's all good. 

• Like 6

Just now, Dave T said:

I just don't see any negative of this as it stands. 

If you have to pay for Sky's streaming app then that is a challenge. But we'll see after the first 15 rds. Hopefully the app is just overflow and included in Sky Sports packages. 

You can watch every game live on Sky for a hefty fee (but you get loads of other things. 

Or you can watch 4 live SL games (plus 2 on delay) per week for between £8.50-20 per month. 

It's all good. 

Exactly. It provides a great array of choice and allows everyone to watch the sport regardless of platform at a price point they can afford.

There are no negatives beyond people moaning that it isn't free, or practically free. Of course those same people will be the ones moaning that SL is ###### compared to the NRL and that there is no money or stars.

• Like 1

There's a native app on my Apple TV box, all games are available on demand to catch up, and there will be a huge archive of classic games available as well as podcasts and other bits.

This is amazing, I couldn't buy an annual subscription quick enough! 😃👌🏼

• Like 2

Much of this looks very positive, and less than £10 a month for the subscription is very good.

Here's my problem; I already subscribe to sky sports. If they introduce a fee for the streaming platform, I have missed out on the Super League+ season ticket price. Some clarity needed...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I hear it can take longer (and cost extra) to get acceptance onto the Amazon app system, so maybe.

But it is a relief to know it is easy to access the service without the app.

If it gets close to the start of the the season and the Fire app isn't available I'm sure someone will be kind enough to upload the Android TV compatible .apk file so it can be sideloaded onto your device. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Great to see the continued upward curve of all things SL related. I mentioned on a previous thread it does feel like we are going on an positive IMG led journey with RL now. Lets hope that continues.

Im not sure I'll subscribe to a full season - but for the big games and play-offs/GF - I'm sure i'll subscribe for a month long package or game day package.

Will be interesting to see what the balance is between a month long subs on SL+ and NOW TV.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

There's a native app on my Apple TV box, all games are available on demand to catch up, and there will be a huge archive of classic games available as well as podcasts and other bits.

This is amazing, I couldn't buy an annual subscription quick enough! 😃👌🏼

Just downloaded the app to my tv, logged in using my mobile app, watching some highlights from last year. It's almost as if they got experts to create this or something! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

£130 for a 12m subscription. £30 discount for club season ticket holders. 

That seems great value. 

Does to me too, especially with the discount.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just downloaded the app to my tv, logged in using my mobile app, watching some highlights from last year. It's almost as if they got experts to create this or something! 

Ah I couldn’t find the app on my TV. It’s not an Apple TV though. 

Downloaded on Apple TV downloaded in seconds if you are registered on Our League those details are carried forward onto the new app no need to reregister,plenty of content from last season which at the moment is free to view.Judging from Wigan web site you need to apply to the club you have a season ticket with to get a code to access the reduced price for season ticket holders.If the Championship is on Premier Sport they will be launching a new streaming app in due course so those matches are more likely to be on there i would have thought.Propels coverage into 21st century what is there not to like ?

1 hour ago, Curly perm said:

Sorry, just catching up with all this and might be a stupid question. Did someone say we need to cast it to TV? 

Looks really positive and the app looks good though 

Looking at the Android app on my phone, I don't see a casting option. Anyone spotted something I've missed?

If you have a smart TV, it should have some form of internet browser, so you can get it on the big screen that way.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Curly perm said:

Ah I couldn’t find the app on my TV. It’s not an Apple TV though. 

Mine is a google/android tv. Sony bravia. 

I had to make sure I searched for superleague+ in exactly that format. Not sure if that helps

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Electric Gentleman said:

Downloaded on Apple TV downloaded in seconds if you are registered on Our League those details are carried forward onto the new app no need to reregister,plenty of content from last season which at the moment is free to view.Judging from Wigan web site you need to apply to the club you have a season ticket with to get a code to access the reduced price for season ticket holders.If the Championship is on Premier Sport they will be launching a new streaming app in due course so those matches are more likely to be on there i would have thought.Propels coverage into 21st century what is there not to like ?

Premier Sports may be launching a streaming service but it is unlikely that they will be shelling out for any production costs over and above the one game a week they broadcast before. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Looking at the Android app on my phone, I don't see a casting option. Anyone spotted something I've missed?

If you have a smart TV, it should have some form of internet browser, so you can get it on the big screen that way.

On the app, along the bottom there is a chrome cast link that comes up for me. It's not the standard casting logo that comes up on things like youtube