Unbelievable this to me.

Is 24 years old and has only played 13 games in the NRL, and he being offered up as a potential Super League player.

If he had any sort of ability he would have played more than 13 NRL games by 24 years old.

Championship player at best in my book.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/canberra-raiders-prop-offered-super-28467415?fbclid=IwAR26jFmQKuFJNmQq1DZxYV6C78b-wiXr82h2Sn86ngWIIyWVkngk9TgkO9g

14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Is 24 years old and has only played 13 games in the NRL, and he being offered up as a potential Super League player.

If he had any sort of ability he would have played more than 13 NRL games by 24 years old.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/canberra-raiders-prop-offered-super-28467415?fbclid=IwAR26jFmQKuFJNmQq1DZxYV6C78b-wiXr82h2Sn86ngWIIyWVkngk9TgkO9g

He would be an alright player for sides like London and Castleford. He is a fringe player but he is not terrible, would add depth to a few packs in the SL.

Also, the article doesn’t particularly say SL clubs are interested in him, rather they are aware of his availability. I would be suprised if a team used an overseas spot on him.

Edited by NRLandSL

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't see how this quota change is a good thing, we shouldn't be encouraging clubs to sign 2nd tier players from Australia.

Nothing like shooting yourselves in the foot, is there? But then again, this is Rugby League we are talking about!!!

• Like 1

I don't know who his agent is, but well done to them on getting the UK RL media to pick up on a complete unknown and tout him about for them. If someone signs him he could be a star or could be a disaster, we have had many of both, but at least he is young and wouldn't be coming over for a pension fund top up like so many others before. Think I'm fine with the change itself, problem for me is the number of quota spots remains too high. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I take it you've seen plenty of him playing then?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Damien said:

I don't see how this quota change is a good thing, we shouldn't be encouraging clubs to sign 2nd tier players from Australia.

The quota needs to be reduced.

We need to be developing British players, not has been's and never was players from the NRL

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

At 24 years of age and having only played 13 NRL games tell me all i need to know about him.

All it tells you is how old he is, and how many appearances he's made in the NRL. Doesn't tell you anything about his circumstances or development. He might be rubbish, but he might not be. You'd hope any clubs tempted to buy him would do their research before doing so. 

14 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

We need to be developing British players, not has been's and never was players from the NRL

Agree with the second part, but we need to make sure that these players we develop are also at a sufficient level. If young British Super League players aren't as good as young Aussie second tier players, then that is an issue. I think we're a way off being able to reduce the quota without seeing a drop in the competition quality sadly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damien said:

We haven't had a change in the quota. There's still only 7 non-fed trained players allowed to be registered in one squad. You'd imagine clubs would want to use them on the best players they can.

5 minutes ago, phiggins said:

We haven't had a change in the quota. There's still only 7 non-fed trained players allowed to be registered in one squad. You'd imagine clubs would want to use them on the best players they can.

I know the number hasn't changed, it's quite obvious what I meant.

If we are going down this route then the number should certainly be reduced.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, phiggins said:

It should be reduced year on year. 6 next year. 5 the year after that etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I like overseas imports as they add to the competition immensely. 7 is way too high though if it means clubs are now being allowed to import lesser quality players, which they now are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I wouldn't drop below 5 to be honest. I think we're a long way off being able to drop it from 7. The academies and pathways in general seems like a mess, and getting worse with recent developments at London and Newcastle. 

37 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Can you point that out to my local team Wakefield? Bringing in Aussie youngsters instead of concentrating on developing brits for the good of the British game going forward. Appears that they have no faith in the British junior/reserve system. At the moment as a championship team I believe the rules allow them a free reign to do this. Our national team will never compete on a level playing field if we are only interested in developing overseas players.

• Like 1

I wouldn't necessarily put the number of NRL games as an absolute marker. 

Plenty of younger players have played a lot of games but take Harry Grant as an example... he will be 26 before the next season kicks off and has 78 NRL appearances.  He had 32 appearances when he turned 24.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

As pointed out there is Jai Field and then there is Kaide Ellis, who came to Wigan at 24/25 with 19 first team games behind him in the NRL and he is getting better and better over here. I recall Tanginoa coming to Wakey with around 30 games in the NRL under his belt and again he would've been around 24/25 and he's done really well here in spells, so there are some good players matching that profile. I remember George Carmont only making his NRL debut at 24/25 and he was a revelation when he came to Wigan (granted he more NRL games under his belt by that point). 

Edited by WN83

By the way, I like the Yoda tribute in the title, pleases me it does.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Theres a massive leap from "being offered to" and signing for. I could offer my sisters labrador to Salford as a half back, doesnt mean they will accept the offer.

7 minutes ago, dkw said:

Theres a massive leap from "being offered to" and signing for. I could offer my sisters labrador to Salford as a half back, doesnt mean they will accept the offer.

I got to the 'I could offer my sister' and wondered where that sentence was going.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Sign of times times to the State of the game over here unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Can you point that out to my local team Wakefield? Bringing in Aussie youngsters instead of concentrating on developing brits for the good of the British game going forward. Appears that they have no faith in the British junior/reserve system. At the moment as a championship team I believe the rules allow them a free reign to do this. Our national team will never compete on a level playing field if we are only interested in developing overseas players.

As a fellow Wakey fan I understand your point. However squad wise we are now in the championship and Powell has to pick up the car crash left by Carters recruitment. Anything that helps our return to SL in the short term I am happy with. Lets see where the club are in 3 or 4 seasons . Its my belief there will be a huge investment in developing youth once we are established in SL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, On the buses said:

Sign of times times to the State of the game over here unfortunately.

What, an agent offering a player to clubs, yeah I`m sure thats the first time anything like this has ever happened before. The games doooooommmeedddd.....

• Like 1