All time SL table

Thanks to Hull Live for this. I was surprised to see Bradford still in 7th, and the gap between Saints and Leeds being bigger than Leeds and Wire.

1st: St Helens - Seasons: 28 - Points: 1,087
2nd: Wigan - Seasons: 28 - Points: 1,030
3rd: Leeds - Seasons: 28 - Points: 922
4th: Warrington - Seasons: 28 - Points: 804
5th: Hull FC - Seasons: 26 - Points: 700
6th: Castleford - Seasons: 26 - Points: 648
7th: Bradford - Seasons: 19 - Points: 617
8th: Huddersfield - Seasons: 25 - Points: 597
9th: Wakefield - Seasons: 25 - Points: 483
10th: Catalans - Seasons: 18 - Points: 483
11th: Salford - Seasons: 25 - Points: 464
12th: London - Seasons: 20 - Points: 410 
13th: Hull KR - Seasons: 16 - Points: 356
14th: Widnes - Seasons: 11 - Points: 202 
15th: Halifax - Seasons - 8 - Points: 154 
16th: Sheffield - Seasons: 4 - Points: 77
17th: Leigh - Seasons: 4 - Points: 53
18th: Gateshead - Seasons: 1 - Points: 39
19th Crusaders - Seasons: 3 - Points: 38
20th: Oldham - Seasons: 2 - Points: 28
21st: Paris - Seasons: 2 - Points: 19 
22nd: Toulouse - Seasons: 1 - Points: 10 
23rd: Workington - Seasons: 1 - Points: 5

Leeds showing the value of peaking at the right time and being good at play off rugby.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

38 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Leeds showing the value of peaking at the right time and being good at play off rugby.

Maybe, in comparison of points per  SL trophy they seem to come out well relative to Wigan. But is the real story Wigan not converting so many points into titles, which shows up by their comparison with St Helen's, too? For me, Leeds have had a couple of ropey seasons recently which means they were probably closer before, whereas Wigan (and I am not a close follower of SL every season) never seem to drop that low.

• Like 1

If Leeds make the final they tend to win it. Wigan have lost nearly as many as they've won and St Helen's record is better than that but with that nasty run of final losses marring it.

10 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I thought Toronto played Super League 

Expunged.  Whoever's compiled this has just summarised the league tables.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Gateshead. Another sad story. 

If the table were compiled on averages per season, they'd be top.

• Like 1

Leeds have had two very good Super League teams, 1998-1999 and 2003-2017 (the latter being more than just very good). Everything else has varied between average to abysmal.

Wigan and Saints, apart from maybe one really comedy year each, haven't seen such variation.

44 minutes ago, M j M said:

Leeds have had two very good Super League teams, 1998-1999 and 2003-2017 (the latter being more than just very good). Everything else has varied between average to abysmal.

Wigan and Saints, apart from maybe one really comedy year each, haven't seen such variation.

Would you call a 15 year period for a club a 'team'?  By my calculations, Leeds fielded 95 players in Super League in that time?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

34 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes. But they played in Super League.

Didn't Super League say that all of their matches were null and void and not to be counted in the records?

If you want them in there:

24th: Toronto Wolfpack - Seasons: approx 0.2 - Points: 0

Six other clubs will need their points updating to account for victories over Toronto as well.

33 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Didn't Super League say that all of their matches were null and void and not to be counted in the records?

Calm. That's not how it works. Their results were removed from the league tables. They played in SL and of course the matches count for players records.

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Calm. That's not how it works. Their results were removed from the league tables. They played in SL and of course the matches count for players records.

I assumed that they count for the players' records, but were expunged as far as team records (which this table lists) are concerned.

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I assumed that they count for the players' records, but were expunged as far as team records (which this table lists) are concerned.

The matches were played. Points were scored. Appearances were made. They didn't disappear.

They were removed from the league table when the Pack dropped out mid-season post-Covid.

Just now, marklaspalmas said:

The matches were played. Points were scored. Appearances were made. They didn't disappear.

They were removed from the league table when the Pack dropped out mid-season post-Covid.

Yes, but this table records seasons played (Toronto didn't complete one) and points achieved.

Even if Toronto had won all six of their Super League matches, they wouldn't have recorded any points, because the points from their matches did not feature in the final league table for that year. As far as the league table was concerned (and that is what this thread relates to) those matches do not count.

If you want Toronto's matches to count, then surely Saints, Hull FC and Halifax's totals should include the two points they were deducted for salary cap breaches in 2003, Bradford and Wigan's points deductions in 2006 and 2007, Wakefield and Crusaders in 2011, etc. They played those matches and earnt those points.

If the governing body deducts points or says that matches don't count towards the competition, then why would they be included in this table?

7 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Yes, but this table records seasons played (Toronto didn't complete one) and points achieved.

Even if Toronto had won all six of their Super League matches, they wouldn't have recorded any points, because the points from their matches did not feature in the final league table for that year. As far as the league table was concerned (and that is what this thread relates to) those matches do not count.

If you want Toronto's matches to count, then surely Saints, Hull FC and Halifax's totals should include the two points they were deducted for salary cap breaches in 2003, Bradford and Wigan's points deductions in 2006 and 2007, Wakefield and Crusaders in 2011, etc. They played those matches and earnt those points.

If the governing body deducts points or says that matches don't count towards the competition, then why would they be included in this table?

All I said was Toronto played in SL

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

All I said was Toronto played in SL

I assumed the implication of that (and your subsequent points) was that you thought their record should be in the all time table. Apologies if I misinterpreted that and it was meant as a stand alone, unrelated statement.

Yes you are correct, Toronto did play in Super League.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Come, come, Mark. You'll be wanting abandoned games included next.

It's just a bit of fun.

Edited by Griff

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Would you call a 15 year period for a club a 'team'?  By my calculations, Leeds fielded 95 players in Super League in that time?

It's a fair question... that era was built around Sinfield, Burrow, McGuire and JJB who all played from 2003 to at least 2015, the latter three to 2017. Then there were people who were almost constants e.g. Carl Ablett (2004-2017), Peacock (2006-2015), Ryan Bailey (2003-2014), Kylie Leuluai (2007-2015) and Ryan Hall (2007-2017). So I'm happy to define it as one team for the purposes of this 🙂

Edited by M j M
  • Like 1