1895 Cup Connotations for Quarter Finals

3 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Anyone any idea when the draw is.

Don’t know but will probably draw the semi final and final at the same time

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

I wouldn't automatically assume that Wakefield are going to win this or even make the final. Championship front runners have seldom won this competition. I suppose the difference this year is that promotion isn't a factor so they may as well put all their eggs in this basket.

On 10/02/2024 at 22:30, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Odds for the 1895(AKA the Joseph Platt trophy)

Wakefield Trinity 1/4
Oldham RLFC 8/1
Bradford Bulls 12/1
Sheffield Eagles 16/1
Batley Bulldogs 20/1
Barrow Raiders 33/1
Swinton Lions 33/1
York City Knights 50/1

Bookies obviously not realising that Oldham have a large contingent of former Featherstone players that notoriously can't win a game when it really counts.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's only been run four times, and on two of those occasions the highest-finishing team has won it.

Only once, Leigh in 2022. But I'm also talking about the teams that have reached the final. It's often been teams from outside the top two.

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

Only once, Leigh in 2022. But I'm also talking about the teams that have reached the final. It's often been teams from outside the top two.

Fev, in 2021 (Toulouse have never entered the comp). But in any case 4 is far too small a sample size to draw any conclusions from, especially when the format has changed again this year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I wouldn't automatically assume that Wakefield are going to win this or even make the final. Championship front runners have seldom won this competition. I suppose the difference this year is that promotion isn't a factor so they may as well put all their eggs in this basket.

Doesn't success also enhance the IMG ratings?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

30 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Doesn't success also enhance the IMG ratings?

To gain anything from it you need to win it (nothing for second), and you only get 0.1

Not that it's a consideration for Wakefield but finishing 1 place higher in the league gets you more than that.

Also, IMG grading criteria certainly won't be a factor for Wakefield. I'm sure they will be well in the top 12.

For anyone interested, the Quarter (& Semi) Final draw is due to take place live on BBC Radio Cumbria some time after the Workington v Whitehaven game finishes (approx 15 mins from now) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/rugby-league/68296144

Sheffield, Swinton, Barrow, Wakefield, Bradford, Oldham, Batley and York in the draw

Edited by Barley Mow

Quarters Draw (3rd March):

1. Sheffield v Batley

2. Bradford v Swinton

3. York v Oldham

4. Wakefield v Barrow

Semis Draw (12th May):

Winner 2 v Winner 4

Winner 3 v Winner 1

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

That 50/1 on York is not looking bad now, they certainly have a reasonable chance of making the final with that draw. Have to feel for Bradford, the one year they don't have to face losing to Fax in a cup and they run in to Wakey. 

Do you think York will beat that oldham side? 

25 minutes ago, bigred said:

Having attended the York  Wakey match the other week I would say they could. Wakey won easy enough, but York were no mugs. Also let's not forget they were without Myler and Dagger that day. They also have home advantage, so it will be a close game

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigred said:

I think so yeah. Fax probably should have beaten them and I think York playing at home should have too much for them. Oldham are a good side without a doubt and will run away with League 1 but in my opinion they wouldnt be in the mix for the playoffs in the Championship as things stand.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think so yeah. Fax probably should have beaten them and I think York playing at home should have too much for them. Oldham are a good side without a doubt and will run away with League 1 but in my opinion they wouldnt be in the mix for the playoffs in the Championship as things stand.

Oldham will recruit the players they need to win the championship next season. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, bigred said:

Oldham will recruit the players they need to win the championship next season. 

They will certainly try but for the moment, making them 2nd favorites for this cup ahead of teams that will likely finish in the top 6 in the Championship was the height of overreaction that you would expect from people who have not seen their games. Personally I would put them around 5th out of the 7 other remaining teams but avoiding Wakey has given them a chance at Wembley so you never know and if they get there they will have to do it by beating some top end Championship teams.