Match thread: Challenge Cup 4th Round. Keighley Cougars v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 25th February 2024.

2 hours ago, roversspud said:

The only other kicker who I saw at POR to rival Quinny was the late, great Salford player, David Watkins. I remember him kicking several goals from within his own half at POR. I was lucky enough to meet him in the nineties and all he could remember about playing at POR was getting battered by Jimmy Thompson!

Can't have been battered that hard if he could remember it 😉

1 hour ago, Featherstonerovers2000 said:

I know he is old but he still has looked in top form every time he has played us but I do think there is other options out there 

Who was that half we was linked with last year after World Cup ? Can’t remember his name but there was a lot of talk about him 

14 minutes ago, Rovers fev said:

Who was that half we was linked with last year after World Cup ? Can’t remember his name but there was a lot of talk about him 

Kyle Laybutt - PNG player now playing in Queensland Cup ?  Re Sammutt for me anybody is better than nobody.  I thought the squad really needed another half even before **** head left us in the lurch  

5 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Kyle Laybutt - PNG player now playing in Queensland Cup ?  Re Sammutt for me anybody is better than nobody.  I thought the squad really needed another half even before **** head left us in the lurch  

That’s the one, wonder if he fancies coming to save us 

21 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Kyle Laybutt

More chance of re-signing Kyle Briggs.

Not sure I can bear the thought of getting tonked twice by Wakey in those first few weeks (of the season proper), but the Reynolds fiasco makes it feel like the club has given up for the time being, so looks like a double-tonking it shall be.

When you think what a complete waste of a SL place Wakey have been for the past 25 years, I almost don't begrudge them their new found sugar daddy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

While we're tossing around names of halfback ghosts from the past (Sammut and Chizz no and no for me) there's a couple of halfbacks in the QRL Cup in 2024 called Ryley Jacks and Riley Dean.

Personally I would take Jacks back like a shot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

While we're tossing around names of halfback ghosts from the past (Sammut and Chizz no and no for me) there's a couple of halfbacks in the QRL Cup in 2024 called Ryley Jacks and Riley Dean.

I'd have either / both back tomorrow.

Some interesting names put forward, for me I would be looking more at someone younger from the 2nd tier in Aus if there's anyone suitable available given we're in rebuild mode.

Rumour was we tried to attract Laybutt a couple of years ago but it sounds for whatever reason as if we got knocked back, we probably aren't in as good a position financially to make him an attractive offer now.

Same comments apply to Jacks and he has a young family so I doubt he'd want to uproot them to England again.

Am not sure Fordy is Dean's biggest fan, they had a bit of a fall out at York IIRC and it wasn't Ford who recruited him fro Fev last season, I'd be surprised if he returned.

I'd hope we're keeping an eye on NRL cuts and perhaps waiting for an opportunity to sign a hungry, youngish half with a bit to prove.

35 minutes ago, haskey said:

Do you think that young Bowes is  not good enough to play there on a permanent basis. ?

Not on a permanent basis for me, but I think he can do a job for us as a stopgap, especially as Jones has said he likes playing 80 minutes. I'd rather we found someone who was the right player rather than rush into signing someone who might not be good enough at the business end of the season. Obviously it's a balancing act as we don't want to get too far adrift in the play-off race in the first half of the season.