Sat 17th Feb: SL: Castleford Tigers v Wigan Warriors KO 5.30pm (Sky/BBC/SL+)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 18:00

One of the biggest difference in this game is that Wigan haven't dropped the ball every time they've got close to Cas's line.

If Cas had actually had some decent ball retention this game, it would have a completely different scoreline right now.

• Like 1

Applies to this game and all the other 1st round games.  Match fitness, timing, adapting to new rules and new interpretations etc all play a part in overall game quality. In the case of this game, add in the appalling weather and the associated pitch condition, it's a surprise these games have been as good as they have.

Of course, it wasn't helped by Cas growing the grass so high that Harry Smith couldn't see over it. 

Edited by JohnM

2 minutes ago, Click said:

One of the biggest difference in this game is that Wigan haven't dropped the ball every time they've got close to Cas's line.

If Cas had actually had some decent ball retention this game, it would have a completely different scoreline right now.

To be fair, Wigan have dropped a lot of ball too, especially in the first half.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

To be fair, Wigan have dropped a lot of ball too, especially in the first half.

Yeah, I understand that - But they have cleaned up their handling as the game has gone on. Cas just seem to keep dropping it. It's almost like FC from Thursday.

Hopefully they can keep hold of the ball on this set and put some points on.

1 minute ago, N2022 said:

Two tries from apparent forward passes. Second is so blatant, and they don't even spot it when checking for offside at the kick. Ridiculous.

You can't check forward passes on VR. 🙄

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Two tries from apparent forward passes. Second is so blatant, and they don't even spot it when checking for offside at the kick. Ridiculous.

The VR can't rule on forward passes. If the ref/TJ doesn't see it, the VR can't say it's forward after the fact.

• Like 1

I wasn't watching the game but I saw a few comments about how ridiculous the Watts red card was. Just watched it. Its slightly on the harsh side I would say, but not nearly as controversial as I was expecting it to be. Yes the attacker was stooping/slipping into contact, but Watts has still dropped his shoulder and hit with force. I don't think he meant to hit him in the head, but he's not in control.

Just now, Damien said:

Attempted? He either did insult you or didn't because you deem it to be true 🤣

He didn't complete the sentence. Maybe we will never know. What a loss to the sum total of human knowledge.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, MZH said:

I wasn't watching the game but I saw a few comments about how ridiculous the Watts red card was. Just watched it. Its slightly on the harsh side I would say, but not nearly as controversial as I was expecting it to be. Yes the attacker was stooping/slipping into contact, but Watts has still dropped his shoulder and hit with force. I don't think he meant to hit him in the head, but he's not in control.

That's the typical social media "game's gone" over reaction. If players can't adapt, and leading with the shoulder has been banned for how long, why is it the refs fault and not the player?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Click said:

The VR can't rule on forward passes. If the ref/TJ doesn't see it, the VR can't say it's forward after the fact.

Should be able to, in my opinion. When it's that obvious and in the scoring phase. 

• Like 1

Just now, N2022 said:

Should be able to, in my opinion. When it's that obvious and in the scoring phase. 

The problem is, when one camera angle makes a pass look like it was obviously passed forward, another angle can make it look like it is flat or backwards.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Click said:

The problem is, when one camera angle makes a pass look like it was obviously passed forward, another angle can make it look like it is flat or backwards.

Camera angles can do that. So can shirt badges.

• Haha 5

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Camera angles can do that. So can shirt badges.

Yeah, I think that probably has a lot more influence on the conclusion of if the pass is forward or not then it should do.

• Like 1

Just now, Click said:

I accept there's variation in the impression, but you can't imagine that pass to the player who kicks through would look flat on any angle. A 7 or 8 yard pass that went 2 or 3 yards forward...

Decisions in Rugby League are almost always subjective.   I really don't see how asking video ref's to adjudicate on forward passes, but only the obvious one's is going to make life better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

He has carried on the correspondence.

I won't dignify it with a report of his words. He can post them on the forum, if he's so confident in his righteousness.

He can’t, he’s banned. Will deal with his detritus later. 

• Like 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's always been like that since it's introduction 25+ years ago.

Fine, not spent decades watching the game to know, but would be interested to know, do you think it makes sense that they can't check, or can't overturn if it's very obvious when checking for something else that they've spotted an obvious one?