showing the other scores live updates

38 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I have sympathy for GYJ's opening post.  You put it well, Futtocks (as you usually do).  I might offer some feedback to Sky.  They could even do the BBC News just before MOTD trick of saying, "If you don't want to know the score, look away now"  If they chose their time to do that suitably, we wouldn't miss any action.

Yes, and a quick visual message to alert us to score updates. 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I agree with GJ*. 

This being a whole new era of SL broadcasting, they might be open to (polite) feedback along the lines of "if I don't hear the other match results in the commentary, I'd be more likely to watch more of your output, which would benefit both of us."

* it must have been something I ate.

Who would this type of message go to though with Sky, BBC and SuperLeague+ all showing matches.  Does one have the authority to ask the other not to mention the scores of other matches?

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The commentator on the Wire game kept giving the Wigan score. I was watching both and at different stages, and heard a score update and about the red card before they happened. 

Shows how much attention i pay to the commentators and graphics then 🤣

Agree 100% with the OP. Will give benefit of the doubt that, maybe with it being so unique to British sport for every game to be shown live including clashing matches, the broadcasters failed to take into account that a lot of viewers would like to be able to watch one game live and then others as live later on without knowing the scores.

Cycling commentary is a very good example of this as frequently there are 2-3 races being televised on the same day with broadcast overlaps and the commentators are always savvy enough to give snippets such as things are hotting up over in Spain etc without giving away any clear details that would diminish the quality of the viewing experience later.

I have become very good at avoiding spoilers by not looking at social media or sports sections of websites when I want to watch something as live when I get home.

For those who want to follow the live scores virtually everyone has access to a smartphone or computer with broadband connection.

If also feels counterproductive for Sky as it makes it more likely viewers will just pick one match to watch when there are multiple games at a time and just watch highlights of the others.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The commentator on the Wire game kept giving the Wigan score. I was watching both and at different stages, and heard a score update and about the red card before they happened. 

You heard about the red card before it happened?

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Who would this type of message go to though with Sky, BBC and SuperLeague+ all showing matches.  Does one have the authority to ask the other not to mention the scores of other matches?

I'm not saying this is do-able. But it would be nice.

But commentators, pundits, presenters and studio guests are only human and, if they are fans of the game, love to talk RL.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm not saying this is do-able. But it would be nice.

But commentators, pundits, presenters and studio guests are only human and, if they are fans of the game, love to talk RL.

Sure.  Sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative, just discussing how difficult it would be with multiple broadcast partners.

• Like 1

Just now, Dunbar said:

Sure.  Sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative, just discussing how difficult it would be with multiple broadcast partners.

I think it's tough across broadcasters, BBC have no interest in not affecting a Sky broadcast, but I think when Sky are showing multiple games they should avoid it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, philipw said:

They’ve always kept viewers updated with scores from the  other games. I get what your saying,  it in the grand scheme of things, is it really THAT big of an issue?

Big for me 

Like Johnny I would have got up today a d watched at least one other game I'd taped....but I knew the result 

We all have instant access to the scores as we need (we had that when I was a lad in the 80s by Ceefax!)

Hopefully Sky listen and drop it now all games shown 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sam4731 said:

If they didn't show the scores there'd only be another post moaning about the fact that they don't keep viewers updated on the other games.

Can't please all the people all the time. You're just unlucky to be in the wrong camp this time.

Keep your chin up though, your times coming around.

I'm sorry that is rubbish 

If you WANT to know the other score you can with your phone instantly 

If you DON'T want to know the score you have no option as it's shown on TV currently 

Basically I will not be watching any more than the normal 2 games a week if this is what is happening....madness  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Indeed, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I personally don't see the issue.

What on earth are you talking about Damien? 

We are saying give people the option to not know the score or to know the score (they choose to via thier phone not by default telly)

You are advocating for only one option that people who watch one game HAVE to know the score of the others 

I sometimes think that you and some others on here are deliberately obtuse to get a response 

To answer your question....they would "not be damned" if they didn't show the scores as people can easily check themselves .....so you are completely  wrong to say "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

If you DON'T want to know the score you have no option as it's shown on TV currently 

Basically I will not be watching any more than the normal 2 games a week if this is what is happening....madness  

What this all boils down to really is that broadcasters don't really care about preaching to the converted.

I imagine that keeping viewers updated on other scores is a way of going 'getting bored of this game? Here's another close game you might enjoy' to any casual viewers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sam4731 said:

What this all boils down to really is that broadcasters don't really care about preaching to the converted.

I imagine that keeping viewers updated on other scores is a way of going 'getting bored of this game? Here's another close game you might enjoy' to any casual viewers.

Well I can see that might be a vague reason to show the other scores but by Christ it's a thin one....

Like many RL fans I've been looking forward to watching all the games NRL style but only watched one last night and this morning as I knew the score of the other two!!! At least one missed viewing from me....probably lots of others too 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What on earth are you talking about Damien? 

We are saying give people the option to not know the score or to know the score (they choose to via thier phone not by default telly)

You are advocating for only one option that people who watch one game HAVE to know the score of the others 

I sometimes think that you and some others on here are deliberately obtuse to get a response 

To answer your question....they would "not be damned" if they didn't show the scores as people can easily check themselves .....so you are completely  wrong to say "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

Get off your high horse. You are one of the most obtuse posters on here and your whole post here is obtuse, you hadn't even posted on here before my post so drop the we nonsense.

As I said it's personal preference, if you don't like that then to be honest I don't care and maybe a forum isn't for you.

Edited by Damien
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Well I can see that might be a vague reason to show the other scores but by Christ it's a thin one....

Like many RL fans I've been looking forward to watching all the games NRL style but only watched one last night and this morning as I knew the score of the other two!!! At least one missed viewing from me....probably lots of others too 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with showing the scores on other matches but you can bet that in a priority list of people that broadcasters care about, someone saying that they would theoretically watch every game, would be at the very bottom.

They've got you, they don't need to win you over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ceefax was easy Johnny 

I miss Ceefax - and Aertel here in Ireland. Just enter a number and get the scores. There was a bit of romantic quaintness to it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

I miss Ceefax - and Aertel here in Ireland. Just enter a number and get the scores. There was a bit of romantic quaintness to it.

Kids these days will never understand the excitement of watching results come in via ceefax and keeping up to date with the latest scores. It was a real Saturday ritual with the football.

• Like 1

Do we have to go along with people pretending they wouldn't know the score at all but for Sky providing updates for their general audience - the audience that massively outnumbers the one that will be watching games on catch-up or repeat?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Do we have to go along with people pretending they wouldn't know the score at all but for Sky providing updates for their general audience - the audience that massively outnumbers the one that will be watching games on catch-up or repeat?

Not a single person has pretended that.

33 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

You seem to look for any excuse to stop watching, and stop watching as it is when someone gets sent off. With the new directives you won't be watching much of any games anyway 🤣

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with showing the scores on other matches but you can bet that in a priority list of people that broadcasters care about, someone saying that they would theoretically watch every game, would be at the very bottom.

They've got you, they don't need to win you over.

Surely the overriding thing broadcasters want is people watching as many of their  broadcasts as possible though?

You are right to say that SKY have got me for RL but the fact is that I didn't watch  a game this morning (or two!) because they gave away the results with no warning the night before 

I think it's an easy fix though!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Jon I can honestly say I would have easily avoided the scores

I may be in a minority but as long as I avoid here and certain mates messages on my phone  I can easily avoid sporting scores 

• Like 1