Brits in the NRL: 2024 Edition

Smithies with 100 Metres, 44 Tackles, 1 Missed in 69 minutes great stuff. Also some really good link up play.

KPP also looked fantastic only 40 minutes but 90 Run Metres, 43 Post contact Metres, 2 Offloads and 20 tackles 0 Missed.

I suspect both players will play huge roles in there teams success this year.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Smithies is just a machine and tough as anyone. He can also distribute the ball well. That type of forward always does well in the NRL.

NRL or SL, Smithies is a quality rugby league player regardless of which side of the world he is playing.

• Like 1

This game wasn't advertised on my Sky TV planner, and I missed it.

Wonder what was up with Sky? I suppose I can download it and watch it on delay, but it's not great that Sky doesn't get their planner on-screen to show the event.

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

This game wasn't advertised on my Sky TV planner, and I missed it.

Wonder what was up with Sky? I suppose I can download it and watch it on delay, but it's not great that Sky doesn't get their planner on-screen to show the event.

It's worse than that sadly - Sky made a #### up. So they can show up to 3 games per round (excluding Magic when they show all). Someone in scheduling didn't realise this is still round 1 and as we already filled 2 slots with the Vegas games only one left this week. Panthers v Storm was selected as Friday slots generally do better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It's worse than that sadly - Sky made a #### up. So they can show up to 3 games per round (excluding Magic when they show all). Someone in scheduling didn't realise this is still round 1 and as we already filled 2 slots with the Vegas games only one left this week. Panthers v Storm was selected as Friday slots generally do better. 

That is what I would have expected, with the three games a round on Sky.

Highlights it is, I suppose...

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Smithies is just a machine and tough as anyone. He can also distribute the ball well. That type of forward always does well in the NRL.

They'll value him so much higher than a lot of pundits/media/supporters do over here and rightfully so. I was gutted to see him leave Wigan but he's made the right decision for him. I think it'll boost his profile and help improve his game and in turn it should help his chances of an England place. I thought he was superb this morning in everything he did. The ball playing he's worked on over this past couple of seasons is really starting to pay off. 

• Like 3

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I occasionally browse the Newcastke Knights fans forum and they are all pleased with KPP in what was overall a pretty poor team performance. 

Smithies was everything we know he is, tough and full of effort.  But I am sure his distribution will have surprised a lot of the Aussie pundits.

I have said before, if he can add a bit of pace off the mark then he can be a really top class 13... very much in the Cameron Murray mould.

Glad to see they are both off to a good start.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Very solid debut by Smithies . Just did his job with no fuss . Some good link play to . He’ll be well chuffed id think . KPP with a few nice plays to hint at what he’ll give Newcastle . I think Pryce can add something to their attack to in the not to distant future 

13 hours ago, DavidM said:

Very solid debut by Smithies . Just did his job with no fuss . Some good link play to . He’ll be well chuffed id think . KPP with a few nice plays to hint at what he’ll give Newcastle . I think Pryce can add something to their attack to in the not to distant future 

Lucas wen’t off with a bad concussion, good chance he won’t be available next week so KPP could be given the start. 

And it’s only a matter of time until Pryce is given his debut and shows just how good he truly is.

Morgan Smithies picked up a couple of well deserved Dally M points in the win over Newcastle. 

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Morgan Smithies picked up a couple of well deserved Dally M points in the win over Newcastle. 

And a place in the NRL.com team on the week.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/11/new-recruits-sizzle-in-round-1-team-of-the-week/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I do like the breakdown of Smithies performance, I believe they mentioned the similar minutes and tackle break down during the match.

IIRC the only tackle he missed, was the one where he got his HIA with Ponga breaking through, and that was also the only time he was off the pitch.

Every British-born player to have graced the NRL since inaugural 1998 season

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/every-british-born-player-to-have-graced-the-nrl-since-inaugural-1998-season

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 18/03/2024 at 19:20, Damien said:

Great to see Young get his first try for the Roosters. A great effort too:

yes great try - although I  thought he looked a bit nervy and clumsy in parts of the game - but prob just needs to adjust to the roosters style of play hopefully 

• Confused 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile