NRL Europe? In Winter?

Moving to Winter is a bad idea. Would rather SL & NRL actually co-ordinate so the seasons are better in line regarding timing.

Crazy idea but you could, yno, actually have a mid-season break for origin/internationals etc that also acts as a mid season transfer window....Would make it way easier for players to move between NRL & SL....

Damn rugby league, great game run by dumb people - in both hemispheres....

• Like 1

“One of the things that really helped the game over there was guys like Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Phil Blake, going over and having those short stints with WiganLeeds (Rhinos) and Castleford (Tigers) and what not. They really miss that over there."

Yes, that's what players need. Year round rugby.

Are we just paying lip service to Full Game Equivalents?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 hours ago, Balmainboy said:

Moving to Winter is a bad idea. Would rather SL & NRL actually co-ordinate so the seasons are better in line regarding timing.

Crazy idea but you could, yno, actually have a mid-season break for origin/internationals etc that also acts as a mid season transfer window....Would make it way easier for players to move between NRL & SL....

Damn rugby league, great game run by dumb people - in both hemispheres....

It's a horrifically  bad idea of reverting  to Winter. 

Not alone has Football  become  more successful  and high profile  things like Nfl are becoming  more popular.  

Domestic  Irish Football moved to a summer season  for similar  reasons  to league. No one would  entertain  such  a suggestion  unless there  sole aim was to get attention. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Elephant in the room SKY.

They say who "pays the piper calls the tune" Nothing could happen for 3 years as they have the contract fir summer rugby.

The reason they have been paying the piper since 1996 is because  RL fitted into their sport calendar. They needed more sport content in the summer.

Would Aussie broadcasters think that they could sell enough subscriptions to make it worth their while? Would European broadcasters think they could sell NRL to us?

Whilst soccer is nominally a winter sport effectively its year round so we are not a threat to them.  We would be up against RU at international level but broadcasters in Europe have realised that the club scene seems to be a dead duck. ( I would like to think that they have realised that the RU emperor is stark ballcok naked.)

It won't happen

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The more I read Johns' comments, the more I actually think he's just being facetious and having a bit of fun.   Unless he's been frozen since the 1980s (possible depending where in Aus he resides) then he knows everything he gave as quotes is not a realistic picture of 21st century RL.

It's generating a bit of free publicity though, and there's no such thing as bad publicity (as Micheal O'Leary says).   Maybe IMG were secretly behind this stunt? 😉

18 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Elephant in the room SKY.

They say who "pays the piper calls the tune" Nothing could happen for 3 years as they have the contract fir summer rugby.

The reason they have been paying the piper since 1996 is because  RL fitted into their sport calendar. They needed more sport content in the summer.

Would Aussie broadcasters think that they could sell enough subscriptions to make it worth their while? Would European broadcasters think they could sell NRL to us?

Whilst soccer is nominally a winter sport effectively its year round so we are not a threat to them.  We would be up against RU at international level but broadcasters in Europe have realised that the club scene seems to be a dead duck. ( I would like to think that they have realised that the RU emperor is stark ballcok naked.)

It won't happen

You are absolutely  correct  Sky changed Rugby League  to summer  to have content  year round. I remember  when live events weren't as common on Sky. Particularly  in the summer. 

Rugby Union in Wales  and England  is in a bad state. In France  and Ireland  it is strong.  Tv viewership  in France and Ireland  is good in respect  of club game.  

Australian  match kick off times are bad for Europe.  Not too many broadcaster could sell matches for before noon on a Saturday  and Sunday.  

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 07:18, ATLANTISMAN said:

This has been simmering in the background for over a year however the English press havant been on it.

The NFL don't have to buy Super League there is nothing to buy,all they have to do is put 5 million each on the table for 12 clubs and off they go.

NFL Europe even Phil Gould backs it.

Hmm where are the fans coming from, its not american sport, Wigan fans will not support a new club playing out of the stadium in Bolton etc..

Where will the players come from, the academy's in place for SL clubs are robust and kids will want to play for the established sides and not made up teams.

33 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well they had a franchise in Toronto that they stuck 2 fingers up to so it looks like that ship has sailed for SL

33 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well they had a franchise in Toronto that they stuck 2 fingers up to so it looks like that ship has sailed for SL

That  was the height of stupidity by an inward looking outfit.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, frank said:

That  was the height of stupidity by an inward looking outfit.

Toronto was grossly underfunded. It was never a going concern.

• Confused 1

The best way for NRL money to be used is to promote the game of RL in the UK and get more kids playing. More juniors playing and more fans attending as well as watching on TV is what the game needs, not flying NRL players over for a few months at the expense of promoting academy players 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Did the players ever get paid in the end?

Not so far as I'm aware.  Though, as always, good news isn't always as widely reported as bad news.

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

The best way for NRL money to be used is to promote the game of RL in the UK and get more kids playing. More juniors playing and more fans attending as well as watching on TV is what the game needs, not flying NRL players over for a few months at the expense of promoting academy players 

That Andrew John stint for Warrington was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

SL blew it.

Toronto blew it. SL let them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Unless they come over on a proper 2/3 year contract it just undermines our competition. 

Edited by JM2010
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

As much as I dislike Warrington, it really wasn't.  They made plenty of cash out of that endeavour

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

As much as I dislike Warrington, it really wasn't.  They made plenty of cash out of that endeavour

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

How much did they make.

12 hours ago, Coggo said:

Did the players ever get paid in the end?

No as the bloke who was going to pay them and all creditors and fund the team going forwards was told he wasn't wanted so he shrugged his shoulders and walked away.

17 hours ago, Spidey said:

Shirt sales alone would probably have covered his wages. Then there was the media coverage that came with his signing.

• Like 2