NRL Europe? In Winter?

9 hours ago, frank said:

Not surprising they ran out of money paying  for flights, accommodation etc.

Did you expect semi professional teams to pay for their flights to Canada? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, yipyee said:

Whats the other side then ?

Why did the SL say no twice to a takeover

Would an English club have played in America and base a squad in America with all the visa issues etc..

The other side being that Toronto's money man, didn't actually have that much money. 

The payment issues for suppliers and players were coming up before COVID happened.

I was a fan of Toronto and I wanted them to continue, but it is silly to only view it through the lens of SL was bad, Toronto was good. 

11 hours ago, Griff said:

Hmm. Taking a team abroad is a lot of work. Just checking a party of 30 folk onto a plane takes an afternoon.  And you just have to hope that you don't need to change any names on the tickets or that opens up a whole new can of worms 

Pre-Brexit, at least anyone with a EU passport didn't need a visa but players from Australia and New Zealand did. And a visa to get back in the UK. Post-Brexit there's a bit more paperwork but things are similar.

Canada is a different kettle of fish. Everybody needs a visa and, you may recall, not everybody got one. Much more work with visas required for 30 folk instead of maybe five.

Then there's the travel arrangements. Fly out from Manchester, back into Glasgow. It's not ideal. Hope your fixture is during the summer schedules or your choices are more restricted.

All that's before the financial considerations. The truth is that a relatively small sport like Rugby League doesn't have the admin and financial wherewithal to run a competition on such a grand scale.

Rugby league small scale ? Its a bigger comp than the pro14 or whatever its called in union, with flights from Ireland, Scotland Wales, Italy and now SA.

Clubs employ admin people, its half a day once a season, you wouldn't get a stag do organiser complaining.

The visa issue, well if people have been naughty boys thats their problem.

41 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Rugby league small scale ? Its a bigger comp than the pro14 or whatever its called in union, with flights from Ireland, Scotland Wales, Italy and now SA.

Clubs employ admin people, its half a day once a season, you wouldn't get a stag do organiser complaining.

If you say so.

• Haha 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

53 minutes ago, yipyee said:

South Africa more than pay for their participation with the TV deal they bring to the table and are an established RU country. It's a world away from expansion North American teams in SL.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 18:44, yipyee said:

Brought up the weights ?

You push or pull weights,,,,you bring up points and topics for conversation....where is your weightroom etiquette?

You are the guy who don't put the plates back ain't cha?

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Using Cardiff Blues (by no means the biggest club in the URC) as an example, their turnover was £13 million in 2021-22, so roughly 50% higher than Saints? Like the other Welsh URC teams, it is heavily loss-making, but hard to argue they're smaller than British rugby league clubs.

13 hours ago, Click said:

The other side being that Toronto's money man, didn't actually have that much money. 

The payment issues for suppliers and players were coming up before COVID happened.

I was a fan of Toronto and I wanted them to continue, but it is silly to only view it through the lens of SL was bad, Toronto was good. 

Oh I know, its the bit where someone came in with a business plan to continue with the club AND pay off the debts, and SL turned them down, so when people complain about players not getting paid yes it was the initial owners however ultimately it was the decision to exclude the new owners that prevented creditors and players their settlements.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

South Africa more than pay for their participation with the TV deal they bring to the table and are an established RU country. It's a world away from expansion North American teams in SL.

SL is a richer comp. Yes SA is established and has player production in place, its a seperate and mute point to the one that SL can't afford a NA team due to costs.

10 hours ago, JonM said:

Using Cardiff Blues (by no means the biggest club in the URC) as an example, their turnover was £13 million in 2021-22, so roughly 50% higher than Saints? Like the other Welsh URC teams, it is heavily loss-making, but hard to argue they're smaller than British rugby league clubs.

Turnover and profit are 2 different things.. why is their turnover so big and etc, plus what does that have to do with saints affording a flight to Toronto once a year ?

Edited by yipyee
  • Like 1

A quick search of a list of professional sports leagues globally has the NRL at 27th, SL at 86th and the United rugby championship at 107...

Super rugby (pro union down under) at 71

Premiership rugby at 39

French top division at 31

So NRL is the most valuable Rugby league

Interestingly aussie rules was 19th!

So SL more valuable the the United rugby championship and they fly all over for games...

Toronto is around 3000km from Manchester

Auckland is around 2500km to Sydney

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

A quick search of a list of professional sports leagues globally has the NRL at 27th, SL at 86th and the United rugby championship at 107...

Super rugby (pro union down under) at 71

Premiership rugby at 39

French top division at 31

So NRL is the most valuable Rugby league

Interestingly aussie rules was 19th!

So SL more valuable the the United rugby championship and they fly all over for games...

https://sportsbrief.com/other-sports/32109-which-richest-sports-leagues-world-currently/

this more recent list than the Wikipedia article I think you read has some changes including the IPL far higher at #4 than what was listed in Wiki. AFL beats Serie A at #13.

Other lists are available, but I find none with as many as the wiki one and this one.

Edited by Sports Prophet

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

SL is a richer comp. Yes SA is established and has player production in place, its a seperate and mute point to the one that SL can't afford a NA team due to costs.

It isn't though, you are just making this stuff up.

The TV rights have more than doubled since SA teams were added. Indeed they are now more than double Super League too.

Edited by Damien

8 hours ago, yipyee said:

Oh I know, its the bit where someone came in with a business plan to continue with the club AND pay off the debts, and SL turned them down, so when people complain about players not getting paid yes it was the initial owners however ultimately it was the decision to exclude the new owners that prevented creditors and players their settlements.

I could write a business plan now and it would mean nowt. 

I expect the original owners claimed they'd pay their players too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

Turnover and profit are 2 different things.. why is their turnover so big and etc, plus what does that have to do with saints affording a flight to Toronto once a year ?

Their turnover is bigger than SL clubs because they have more money coming in each year. Their profit (loss) is a large negative number because they spend a lot more than SL clubs each year. HTH.

The SARU paid just short of £15 million in travel costs for the participation of their clubs in the URC. Amusingly, they used to make a profit from taking part in the competition in Aus/NZ, and now make a loss from playing in Europe.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JonM said:

The big difference here isn't just at the individual club level, it's the fact that these clubs are underpinned by their governing bodies, who are underpinned by the international game. 

Combining the governing bodies income and investment levels absolutely dwarfs anything we see in RL. It's allowed them to streamline their club operations and create this international comp and support the international game. 

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I found this bit astonishing, so double checked, are you sure you didn't mix up the units? Google says it is 5500 km vs 2150 km.

I would be amazed if the NZ Warriors distances were close to those of the TWP; albeit they are big enough as they are.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

It's 3412 miles - which makes me wonder about the rest of your "research".

Not that any of it will bring the Wolfpack back.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, yipyee said:

That is the plain stark truth of it....good post.

43 minutes ago, Griff said:

It's 3412 miles - which makes me wonder about the rest of your "research".

Not that any of it will bring the Wolfpack back.

They should....they looked a gift horse thoroughbred in the mouth and turned it down because there were a couple of teeth that needed some minor work.

You can take the horse to water but you can't make it drink.

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2024 at 11:23, Damien said:

Isn't this the bit where someone brings up the idea of bringing back the SA franchise that got cut and launching them as an NRL or SL team? ...

Edited by mrfranco
Not sure of details of Union teams, as don't follow that sport!

10 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Gus Gould has given this idea his backing. 

It's just Gould's normal talk of the NRL taking over Rugby League, SL and the international game, with the NRL running and controlling the game for its own betterment.

Nothing he says makes it sound like he has the best interests of either at heart, it's all to benefit the NRL.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2024 at 19:00, sam4731 said:

No no no all of it no. The idea of NRL buying SL fills me with dread.

This . I dont like it at all 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I'm not comfortable about losing our identity and " heritage " NRL? We gave them the game in 1908 .phew just saved my bacon with that correction 

Edited by fieldofclothofgold

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK