jroyales

38 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Schooled by a much better side today. Astley has to be moved to halfback for me. I also expect much more from Jordan Turner who was bang average today. Not convinced by Ellis either. On a positive note, I thought Farnworth played well and Wildie gave it his all. However, the standout performance was by the travelling support who were outstanding from start to finish. We’ve learned quite a bit from this pre-season. Now let’s bring on the stuff that really matters.

Agree on Astley. We missed Wildie at hooker as the acting half back was slower today. 

But York are an established Championship team. They have added a few new players but are a strong team. They will be hard to beat this year. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ManchesterYed said:

I wouldn’t expect a team under the CH reign to be 34 points down at HT. 

Season over 

Talking total rubbish. We have had a tough preseason seven games. Five against Championship or SL opposition. Four wins, two losses and a draw. This team is ready now for the league. That is the clubs number one priority this year. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

What an idiotic statement. Perhaps you should pop down the road and watch Widnes instead.

Pointless burying your head in the sand. The season is now effectively done and dusted, everything from here should now be a complete procession, unless things are even worse than I thought.

There is a reason the bookies have had us favourites the last two weeks, it can’t be seen as anything other than a failure to be out of both competitions at this stage, I’m pretty sure the club for the money they have spent would have expected to beat York.

Some of the recruitment, including the coach, now looks incredibly naive sadly. How can Ellis show up on the opening day of the season looking like he does? If you were worried some of the players might only be in it for a payday he doesn’t exactly allay those fears.

I think this season should have been much more on younger players with a mix of older heads up the middle, it would have stood us in much better stead for the Championship next season. It’s now concerning that some of these players are on big money two years deals.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterYed said:

I wouldn’t expect a team under the CH reign to be 34 points down at HT. 

Season over 

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Are you a true fan??

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

Talking total rubbish. We have had a tough preseason seven games. Five against Championship or SL opposition. Four wins, two losses and a draw. This team is ready now for the league. That is the clubs number one priority this year. 

Totally agree

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jackie61 said:

Beaten by a better team but again too many errors from the off. Need to concentrate on the league now and hope we do walk it after all the hype.

Listened to the match on BBC York, thought the commentator was rude at times about Oldham, called us liitle men at one point from the other side! Also called Cornwall - Cornwall Pirates RL before correcting himself. Might have been in jest but I found it disrespectful. 

Hi Jackie. I would hope I didn't sound rude to Oldham at any point as I'm a fan of all RL not just our home side. I think the comment of 'little men' might have been taken out of context but I'll listen back and see. I thought Oldham were overwhelmed early doors but put up a much better show in the second half. There are some good youngsters there who will be an asset as they gain more experience. Particularly impressed by young Tyrer, O'Keefe and Logan Astley. Wildie always gives it the lot and did and Farnworth was really good. Your fans were fantastic and never stopped their singing and cheering. As I said at full time, we wish Oldham all the very best in their L1 campaign. Oh, and by the way, Jordan Turner's offload to his namesake in the second half that almost got him in at the left corner was world class. Thanks for tuning in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RoughyedsFan_merged said:

Pointless burying your head in the sand. The season is now effectively done and dusted, everything from here should now be a complete procession, unless things are even worse than I thought.

There is a reason the bookies have had us favourites the last two weeks, it can’t be seen as anything other than a failure to be out of both competitions at this stage, I’m pretty sure the club for the money they have spent would have expected to beat York.

Some of the recruitment, including the coach, now looks incredibly naive sadly. How can Ellis show up on the opening day of the season looking like he does? If you were worried some of the players might only be in it for a payday he doesn’t exactly allay those fears.

I think this season should have been much more on younger players with a mix of older heads up the middle, it would have stood us in much better stead for the Championship next season. It’s now concerning that some of these players are on big money two years deals.

The only post on here with any kind of sense or  attachment to the new board. Go to social media and see what the wider public and fans think of the last two weeks. 

A team with 50% of our Budget would walk this comp. Our season is now done and we will be in the championship next season going unbeaten this year. As the previous post said the bookies had us favourites for a reason the last two weeks and we have been hammered.

who ever assembled this squad may have - questions to answer come mid way through next season when we are in the champ.

• Like 1

Losing to two championship sides is acceptable but what isn't is conceding 74 points. I'd have thought Sean would have made defense his priority. I have always believed sort your defense out and the rest will come easier.

Shame we aren't going to Wembley but there is always next year when we are a Championship side something from the last two results we are not.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RoughyedsFan_merged said:

How can Ellis show up on the opening day of the season looking like he does? 

Some crazy knee jerk comments after two poor performances albeit against championship sides.

As for Jamie Ellis, he is no longer a young man but look at images from earlier in his career and you will see he has never been skinny.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RoughyedsFan_merged said:

Sorry, more rubbish. Only one priority for the club this year. Promotion. Everything else is really a pre season warm up. I appreciate it’s all about opinions but these knee jerk reactions are really poor

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, shaw llewellyn said:

Some crazy knee jerk comments after two poor performances albeit against championship sides.

As for Jamie Ellis, he is no longer a young man but look at images from earlier in his career and you will see he has never been skinny.

I wasn’t there today so can’t comment on this game but Ellis has started fine for us this pre-season. Yes he carries some timber but he keeps up with play. I’d like to see more kicking game from the halves

12 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

The only post on here with any kind of sense or  attachment to the new board. Go to social media and see what the wider public and fans think of the last two weeks. 

A team with 50% of our Budget would walk this comp. Our season is now done and we will be in the championship next season going unbeaten this year. As the previous post said the bookies had us favourites for a reason the last two weeks and we have been hammered.

who ever assembled this squad may have - questions to answer come mid way through next season when we are in the champ.

You have no idea what the budget is, so you’re just making yourself look daft by keep banging on about it. Whilst your opening sentence makes no sense, your closing statement clearly acknowledges that you think the squad assembled will achieve its only objective - to get promoted. Respectfully suggest you leave the moaning about next season until then. Alternatively, pop down the road to watch your mates new team instead. 

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 5

Why did Sean play Wildie, who in my opinion has been our best player at loose forward, when he could have left him where he is best and bring in a recognised loose forward, Whittle, who has never let us down.

Or has he left us as well?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, jroyales said:

Why did Sean play Wildie, who in my opinion has been our best player at loose forward, when he could have left him where he is best and bring in a recognised loose forward, Whittle, who has never let us down.

Or has he left us as well?

I agree re Whittel, who I've never rated as anything but excellent for us.

It seems that would've, could've, should've are very easy words to say, but tbh any of us expecting the club to put together a squad effectively from scratch that is within a few games going to easily beat the likes of York and Swinton are deluded. It takes game time, learning, knowing each others' strengths and weaknesses, learning set moves, sorting the defence, clarity of roles, etc etc to play well and match the likes of mid Championship teams. Yes there have been individual errors; yes we have made mistakes, n=but as has been said the league is our priority and the (hopeful) learning from and experience of these last two losses will be money in the bank for the tougher games in League 1 to come.

Regarding Longy - I hope that Mike Ford and the senior players guide him and support him to learn. It's too early to say whether he will be a very good coach or not; if he'd been that well-resected then no offence to anyone, he may well have had offers at a higher level (perhaps he did) than Oldham. The jury is out, as they say. But it's not all doom and gloom; neither is it all wine and roses. There's a lot of hard work to be done and there will likely be bumps on the road. That's rugby league. But we're in a hugely better situation than a year ago, optimism and in terms of potential. Onwards and (please God), upwards!

• Like 7

• Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The club's exit from the cup comps could be a blessing in disguise. Now the coaches and players can put their all into the league. This,I would've thought was always the priority. Personally I think Oldham should get that promotion.

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

The club's exit from the cup comps could be a blessing in disguise. Now the coaches and players can put their all into the league. This,I would've thought was always the priority. Personally I think Oldham should get that promotion.

I'm reminded of when Blackpool panthers under Martin Crompton had a good cup run and it totally ruined their league performance. So let's focus on what's importance and that's the League. Perhaps we were all drunk with expectation. The problem now is other teams know we can be beaten and they will up their game.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I'm reminded of when Blackpool panthers under Martin Crompton had a good cup run and it totally ruined their league performance. So let's focus on what's importance and that's the League. Perhaps we were all drunk with expectation. The problem now is other teams know we can be beaten and they will up their game.

Yes they will certainly up their game,it's up to the Oldham players to up theirs and earn their crust. I bet they're getting some decent money for semi pro.

• Like 1

I agree with much of the comment - but we do need a bit more honesty. The pre-season claim was that we had assembled a mid-table championship squad - but the last two games proved conclusively that we have not. 

Re the priority that any sensible coach at this level ought to give to defence, there is individual error - eg Aldridge's naivity in giving away Harris' early try at York, and then Craven's complete cop-out late in the first half in mid-field. But there is also much more importantly the issue of effective defensive team structure. Sean Long was a fantastic attacking half-back, but participation in his side's defensive structure was not generally regarded as very high among his attributes - and I have so far seen no evidence that he can coach what is required in this vital aspect of the game. We looked in the past two games likely to concede each time either Swinton or York had possession in our 'red zone'.

But there is more to concern us, I suggest. Was it really part of the game plan to keep kicking early - in one case, on the first tackle! - to give York possession so they could exert even more pressure on our leaky defence than they were already? If so, how naive! If not, then who took it upon himself to commit the idiocy?

And what about the team selection? The loss of Kopczak's powerful drives, Moran's consistency in doing all the standard prop jobs, and particularly Taylor's fantastic defensive efforts were things no side could easily overcome. But, surely, against a seasoned top-end Championship side, what was required was as much experience and size as we could muster? Instead we opt for little youngsters at wing and hooker, playing our previously outstanding hooker out of position, ignoring the possibility of experience in Whittel and the size and powerful youthful commitment of Hirst in the back row, and seemingly punishing our biggest and most powerful winger for admittedly a couple of poor errors at Swinton by leaving him out when his qualities could have been just what was wanted at York.

To me, the judgement is definitely out!

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, oldham maxonian said:

I agree with much of the comment - but we do need a bit more honesty. The pre-season claim was that we had assembled a mid-table championship squad - but the last two games proved conclusively that we have not. 

Re the priority that any sensible coach at this level ought to give to defence, there is individual error - eg Aldridge's naivity in giving away Harris' early try at York, and then Craven's complete cop-out late in the first half in mid-field. But there is also much more importantly the issue of effective defensive team structure. Sean Long was a fantastic attacking half-back, but participation in his side's defensive structure was not generally regarded as very high among his attributes - and I have so far seen no evidence that he can coach what is required in this vital aspect of the game. We looked in the past two games likely to concede each time either Swinton or York had possession in our 'red zone'.

But there is more to concern us, I suggest. Was it really part of the game plan to keep kicking early - in one case, on the first tackle! - to give York possession so they could exert even more pressure on our leaky defence than they were already? If so, how naive! If not, then who took it upon himself to commit the idiocy?

And what about the team selection? The loss of Kopczak's powerful drives, Moran's consistency in doing all the standard prop jobs, and particularly Taylor's fantastic defensive efforts were things no side could easily overcome. But, surely, against a seasoned top-end Championship side, what was required was as much experience and size as we could muster? Instead we opt for little youngsters at wing and hooker, playing our previously outstanding hooker out of position, ignoring the possibility of experience in Whittel and the size and powerful youthful commitment of Hirst in the back row, and seemingly punishing our biggest and most powerful winger for admittedly a couple of poor errors at Swinton by leaving him out when his qualities could have been just what was wanted at York.

To me, the judgement is definitely out!

All fair comments