Restructure of Championship and League 1

Why should under 18's be free? It's not free for them to go anywhere else, it's a £10 for a local cinema ticket.

In regards to £20 for a game, you've got to put into perspective what these players put their bodies through on a weekly basis, £20 is around the price of a pizza if you go to a sit down in a local chain, i know times are hard for some people but it's not a lot of money in todays world.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Do you think any French club in League 1 would be expected to pay travel costs for other clubs as per SL.Surely this would'nt be feasable.

If that's the deal, that's the deal.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

40 minutes ago, horbury ram said:

The reasoning behind no concessions is that 20 years ago the spilt of supportes was 70% to 30 % concessions , now it is 30% to 70%. the other way. I think you will find more clubs doing this, with the match ticket being a ground entry tickets so it costs the same to sit or stand, your choice.

The whole matter of concessions at sporting events is a throwback to past years, do concessions apply to food shopping, restaurants , concerts etc, it applies to transport but only at state pension age in West Yorkshire . Why should clubs, who are business's, give away cheap tickets to a percentage of the population who have more disposable income than a family in there 40,s.

Some may say it's for being a loyal fan over the years, but I know plenty of fans who have 40 years supporting, at what point do you become a loyal fan !!

Pensioners should pay extra IMO. What else are they going to spend their money on other than bingo, werthers original and the odd cardigan

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

If that's the deal, that's the deal.

it seems to me that the real issue here, is the possibility of multiple visits (to France) due to repeat (loop) fixtures.

The (obvious) solution to this is, in Super League at least, the move to a 14 team league.

It's a bit more difficult with a league with less than 14 teams but I think that if (by chance) a club has to travel to France, more than once, then the league should (if anyone) provide financial assistance to the disadvantaged club.

To ask the French club to pay for it all, is (to me) completely unjustifiable and embarrassingly unpalatable. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Pensioners should pay extra IMO. What else are they going to spend their money on other than bingo, werthers original and the odd cardigan

They don't have any money.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Do you think any French club in League 1 would be expected to pay travel costs for other clubs as per SL.Surely this would'nt be feasable.

I would envisage them being asked to pay the other clubs' travel costs, and I expect them to have anticipated that in/before December when they announced their plans.

If it isn't feasible then they won't apply (or wouldn't stay long), but the latest I saw they were looking to join the British system within a couple of years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fighting irish said:

it seems to me that the real issue here, is the possibility of multiple visits (to France) due to repeat (loop) fixtures.

The (obvious) solution to this is, in Super League at least, the move to a 14 team league. 

No, the obvious solution is a 12 team, 22 game league season, starting in March.

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

No, the obvious solution is a 12 team, 22 game league season, starting in March.

That is another obvious solution not the only one. 

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ive just spotted a flaw in the new structure idea. What happens if the Championship team that is meant to play in the playoff relegation/promotion game has attained enough IMG points to gain a place in SL?

If the side who is 11th in the Championship is Grade A we'll all be much happier!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spidey said:

Some semblance of two proper competitions- I think the middle 8s will work a treat at this level

How can that be?

Under this system onfield performance can only get Championship clubs relegated that's fine if you underperform and it gives a L1 club the opportunity to test themselves with the boys up above. But what does it do for Championship clubs at the other end of the table apart from some tin pot trophy its zilch, nothing, zero, rag all, if a club wins the Championship they should have the opportunity to play in SL and the worst performing SL club replacing them, that way everyone can see what they have done to gain SL status, not take the word of some spreadsheet compiler that the allocated scores per club are correct.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Why are they always out and about filling up Garden centres during the weekdays then?

I genuinely know a few pensioner couples that eat out every day 

In Northampton?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But what does it do for Championship clubs at the other end of the table apart from some tin pot trophy its zilch

That's what trophies are. Tin pots, basically.

What do Superleague clubs get ?  Promotion to the NRL?   No, they get a tin pot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

According to Guardian rugby league correspondent Aaron Bower, National Conference League clubs are considering applying to join the third tier:

Mmmmm - I'd have my doubts about infrastructure.  Siddal coped very well with their modest (and, fortunately, well behaved) crowd but they're a long way off League One standards.  So are Lock Lane.  Good for the occasional cup game but not on a regular basis.

So who's on this list of potential applications?

10 minutes ago, Griff said:

Mmmmm - I'd have my doubts about infrastructure.  Siddal coped very well with their modest (and, fortunately, well behaved) crowd but they're a long way off League One standards.  So are Lock Lane.  Good for the occasional cup game but not on a regular basis.

I think I agree with that. Beyond which the vast majority of people associated with our recreational clubs are also supporters of an existing pro club in the same area. The article suggests Wigan St Pats - surely the majority of their members are Wigan Warriors fans and that is where they go for their pro-rugby. St Pats (and our other amateur clubs) serve a different purpose - this is the whole reason we have the split between the pro and recreational game.

A southern community club would be more of a sensible option because they are less likely to come from a location which already has a pro-club, or in London's case is large enough to have two. But they obviously have different challenges with sourcing players of the right standard, etc.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I think I agree with that. Beyond which the vast majority of people associated with our recreational clubs are also supporters of an existing pro club in the same area. The article suggests Wigan St Pats - surely the majority of their members are Wigan Warriors fans and that is where they go for their pro-rugby. St Pats (and our other amateur clubs) serve a different purpose - this is the whole reason we have the split between the pro and recreational game.

A southern community club would be more of a sensible option because they are less likely to come from a location which already has a pro-club, or in London's case is large enough to have two. But they obviously have different challenges with sourcing players of the right standard, etc.

London Skolars, happen.

47 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

I genuinely know a few pensioner couples that eat out every day 

The pensioners I know are wealthier than most working people, mortgages are paid off on the house they paid a pittance for and they've got some nice pensions. Why should I pay more than them to get into a rugby match? 

Under 16s should be free throughout the sport to encourage new supporters and families, everyone else should pay the same.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

How many NCL clubs have anything more than a railed pitch next to a clubhouse? 

I'd suggest: Ellenborough Rangers (stand), Heworth (stand), Rochdale Mayfield (stands), Saddleworth Rangers (stand), West Bowling (stands and terracing).

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Simon Hall said:

The pensioners I know are wealthier than most working people, mortgages are paid off on the house they paid a pittance for and they've got some nice pensions. Why should I pay more than them to get into a rugby match? 

Yeah - but you live in leafy York.   Probably your pensioner mates do too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

According to Guardian rugby league correspondent Aaron Bower, National Conference League clubs are considering applying to join the third tier:

I’d rather see a team from an area without an existing pro club in the pyramid such as Manchester, Nottingham, Carcassonne, Avignon etc rather than a NCL club from Wigan, Hull, Halifax, Oldham etc

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

How many NCL clubs have anything more than a railed pitch next to a clubhouse? 

I'd suggest: Ellenborough Rangers (stand), Heworth (stand), Rochdale Mayfield (stands), Saddleworth Rangers (stand), West Bowling (stands and terracing).

A stand for 200 folk is definitely the point where most NCL clubs would stumble.

Are these applicants definitely NCL?   Are there any NCL clubs outside the "traditional areas"?  Can't think of any, though I may have missed one.

1 hour ago, northamptoncougar said:

...I genuinely know a few pensioner couples that eat out every day ...

And I genuinely know pensioners for whom £40 for a couple is pretty close to their food spending for a week, and certainly exceeds their discretionary income. These are folk who worked continuously for 50 years, paid taxes, were significant net contributors to society, and lived a particularly frugal life for a good part of it. They save every penny - literally, every penny - for a one week a year holiday, if they were fortunate. If you have no personal memory of growing up, taking your place in the work force, and the frugality of life in the 50s and 60s in the deprived sections of society, me trying to persuade you will not work.

In fact I agree that there is no reason for OAP concessions. If buying a £20 pizza, or £20 entry to a sporting contest, or a gap year doing nothing, or a car when you are 18, or financing an extensive bucket list, or a daily artistically produced coffee, cannot be afforded, so be it. Most folk have plenty of things they can’t afford. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

They do. So that's why you can't lump all pensioners into the same bracket of being poor and charge them less as it's not fair and there's no way of means testing an entry ticket.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

47 minutes ago, Griff said:

The over-65s own over 90% of UK wealth. Obviously there's a huge inequality in how that wealth is spread out and plenty of pensioners who are not very well off at all, but overall pensioners are by.far the richest group in society.  

• Like 1