Premier Sports offer to broadcast all Championship games

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

What about the share for RL comm, including the RFL and IMG? 

I expect the split isn't that simple. 

I think it is. I assume that the broadcasting contracts will be with the RFL and the distribution will be of a sum nett of other costs, including RFL and RFLCom.

Some folk, when deriding the distribution formula are being very simplistic in assuming this just applies to the proposed deal. As I understand it, it applies to all broadcasting income to RFL. Notwithstanding current deals it should also apply to any future ones, ensuring that the lower level clubs don't get squeezed out of those by the SL mob. It is actually there to protect the interests of non-SL clubs, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

This might have already been mentioned up the thread, but does this 78/13/9 split mean that individual L1 clubs get more income from any deal than their Championship counterparts this year?

9% divided by 9 L1 clubs = 1% each

13% divided by 14 Champ clubs =0.929% each

But less games overall...

56 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I think it is. I assume that the broadcasting contracts will be with the RFL and the distribution will be of a sum nett of other costs, including RFL and RFLCom.

Some folk, when deriding the distribution formula are being very simplistic in assuming this just applies to the proposed deal. As I understand it, it applies to all broadcasting income to RFL. Notwithstanding current deals it should also apply to any future ones, ensuring that the lower level clubs don't get squeezed out of those by the SL mob. It is actually there to protect the interests of non-SL clubs, in my opinion.

I suppose your first para shows that it ain't so simple. Commercial agreements can be written however you want them to be written, meaning future protection can be written in without this structure. 

I can understand to an extent having a fixed % share of distributable income - in principle this means the clubs outside of SL get plenty of 'freebies' as most commercial income is driven from SL, but it does come with unintended consequences like this. Where is the incentive for non-SL clubs to try new things, take deals like this if their reward for it is less than 20% of the commercial value it brings in? 

The principle of 'the more we put in, the more we get out' is sound, but it does deliver poor outcomes like this, where decisions can be made for the wrong reasons. 

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why would Channel 4 want second division rugby? Only Premier seems to want it, doesn't that say something?

Typical pessimistic Rugby League attitude, don’t ask, don’t get.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't disagree, but its clearly a compromise being agreed so that the lower divisions are guaranteed some significant income.

Mmm, at what level (numbers please as in monetary values) would you describe as 'significant income' Tommy?

Edited by Harry Stottle

45 minutes ago, binosh said:

Typical pessimistic Rugby League attitude, don’t ask, don’t get.

To be fair, we have had various different TV deals for our 2nd tier over the years, right back to the BBC, ITV and Channel 5, as well as Sky Sports, Premier and Viaplay, so somebody obviously is asking. 

But I'm not sure I can think of any comparable sport that gets its 2nd tier broadcast prominently, certainly not on major terrestrial TV. 

In reality, we are talking really minor leagues (SL ain't exactly huge!) and TV deals with the likes of Premier are probably the level, at best maybe a Sky Sports deal, but we've even seen there that they don't commit. 

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mmm, at what level (numbers please as in monetary values) would you describe as 'significant income' Tommy?

22% of the SL commercial deals is a substantial amount of money. 

• Like 2

For God's sake stop moaning it's Championship and maybe League 1.

Used to love the Championship on SKY around 12/14 years ago trips to places like Whitehaven in June long nights great rugby and we were able to throw a few grand in for branding.

Happy days 

P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

More than 0 which is what I'm sure some at the SL table were proposing, or at least did propose the time before last

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Monday night games are simply terrible for part-time players and not so great for the fans. Thankfully there will be none under this proposal.

Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday all options. I enjoyed Mondays as a viewer, but whatever best suits the players should be organised.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/championship-clubs-voting-broadcast-deal-28864735?fbclid=IwAR1QU2qBMqiNYnf_92b3MbTf917ZinhwreQqjPRt2b68WwTXMtpOZYwZCGM

6 clubs for: Barrow Raiders, Halifax Panthers, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Toulouse Olympique, and York Knights.

7 against: Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Doncaster, Featherstone Rovers, Wakefield Trinity, and Widnes Vikings

Whitehaven didn't have a representative present...

7 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/championship-clubs-voting-broadcast-deal-28864735?fbclid=IwAR1QU2qBMqiNYnf_92b3MbTf917ZinhwreQqjPRt2b68WwTXMtpOZYwZCGM

6 clubs for: Barrow Raiders, Halifax Panthers, Sheffield Eagles, Swinton Lions, Toulouse Olympique, and York Knights.

7 against: Batley Bulldogs, Bradford Bulls, Dewsbury Rams, Doncaster, Featherstone Rovers, Wakefield Trinity, and Widnes Vikings

Jolly interesting mix there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Haven are having a shocking week.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Indeed. York and Toulouse are looking at streaming their own game regardless. 

Behind a paywall?

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not sure one would think so

Makes sense. Better quality than the typical official RFL disciplinary video, I would imagine.

Rugby League Live can confirm Toulouse's games would be part of the package, with the French club also thought to be willing to contribute financially to ensure their games are shown. With that, it's hoped that they could get their games shown on French television, though there's plenty of work to do in that regard.

Just now, Mathius Hellwege said:

Rugby League Live can confirm Toulouse's games would be part of the package, with the French club also thought to be willing to contribute financially to ensure their games are shown. With that, it's hoped that they could get their games shown on French television, though there's plenty of work to do in that regard.

nothing more desperate and short-sighted than your average M62 club assuming his existence is saved by 50 more away fans by another M62corridor club

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mathius Hellwege said:

nothing more desperate and short-sighted than your average M62 club assuming his existence is saved by 50 more away fans by another M62corridor club

On the other hand, when the offer is so low you show your worth by turning it down. When Super League gave away the title sponsorship for free to get ads on trucks, or when another sponsorship was given away for free pizza after the game, that hardly says big money contracts are on the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopie said:

On the other hand, when the offer is so low you show your worth by turning it down. When Super League gave away the title sponsorship for free to get ads on trucks, or when another sponsorship was given away for free pizza after the game, that hardly says big money contracts are on the way.

Its also reflective of the commercial value of the sport at that time too. Its a hard hole to dig out of I agree, but there is clearly an issue with attracting serious money in the sport.

23 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Why would Channel 4 want second division rugby? Only Premier seems to want it, doesn't that say something?

2nd divison RL is similar at best to conference north \ south football when it comes to awareness of the general public who are not die in the wool rl fans. So its not going to appeal to any Terrestrial tv channels just like Union Championship is not attractive to any terrestrial tv.   The best you could hope for would be a highlights package.

Living in the south, it would be very few people who would tune into a Bradford vs Newcastle game, and they are probably the ones with the most chance as newcastle is a city, and Bradford a large town.