If picking an England team Now

48 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Agree, i've never seen anything from him to suggest he's anything other than an average player in an average team, i remember the Sky lot bigging him up a few years ago as a youngster so maybe that's where the presumption that he's an international quality player comes from.

He lost his way a bit last year but he looks back in form now to me. I’ve noticed him a lot more in games and he’s looked a handful, so when I was picking him in my side, I had a look at the stats to see if it backed that up and it does. He’s played 5 games, has gone above 100 metres 3 times and just below twice. He’s averaging 8.2 metres a carry, has made 1 error and given 1 penalty away in those 5 games and is racking up the tackle busts. He’s also done that against some of the leagues better sides or teams in form at the time in Salford, Leigh, Saints and Warrington (and Cas).  He’s always had loads of potential but has been up and down. I think he’s deserving of being in the conversation for the England side at the minute though. 

On 15/04/2024 at 04:11, DavidM said:

I wouldn’t be picking Bateman and presume Whitehead is done 

Bateman is playing well for the Tigers. You are right about Whitehead tho

On 14/04/2024 at 02:23, NRLandSL said:

1.Welsby
2.Makinson
3.Farnworth
4.Young
5.Johnstone
6.Williams
7.Smith
8.Walmsley
9.Clark
10.McMeeken
11.Bateman 
12.Pearce-Paul
13.Knowles

14.Walker
15.Burgess
16.Thompson
17.Radley

Wardle, Newman, Lewis and others just missing out.

Incredibly strong back line, Solid foward pack too. All round very very good team. A side definitely capeable of beating the Aussies and the kiwis.

A very strong English team with world class wingers. If they were to play Samoa at the end of the year they'll have the advantage in the halves. Pearce-Paul looks very good at the knights and he'll get better every game. Farnworth struggled a bit during the season but we all know what he can at his peak. Smithies is also a solid lock at the Raiders but Radley over him easily because he offers more on attack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mojo said:

A very strong English team with world class wingers. If they were to play Samoa at the end of the year they'll have the advantage in the halves. Pearce-Paul looks very good at the knights and he'll get better every game. Farnworth struggled a bit during the season but we all know what he can at his peak. Smithies is also a solid lock at the Raiders but Radley over him easily because he offers more on attack.

Sorry, which season did Farnworth struggle a bit?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry, which season did Farnworth struggle a bit?

This season so far. Maybe because he's in a new team, and trying to fit in to a new system. He's playing ok but not at the level he usually does

I hope the clubs back this, including Catalans and Toulouse and we don’t see multiple pull outs. The way Catalans took it to St Helen’s last week made this game look far more promising ‘if’ all those guys are available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo said:

This season so far. Maybe because he's in a new team, and trying to fit in to a new system. He's playing ok but not at the level he usually does

Harsh…….he’s played 4 games, game 4 he didn’t complete. 61 tackles made, 92.4% tackle rate. 153 metres average run per game. 64m average post contact. Bit soon to say he’s struggling. What is he struggling with?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Thanks.

Basically we need as many of the stalwarts from this team out as they have been tried and failed numerous times.

Fortunately a few of have retired and a few are no longer in consideration. 

Now is time for the changing of the guard and we have to be inventive and play an off the cuff GB style. Not the % rugby the aussies play, otherwise we will continue to do nothing.

We need our own style and be innovative.

15 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Thanks.

Basically we need as many of the stalwarts from this team out as they have been tried and failed numerous times.

Fortunately a few of have retired and a few are no longer in consideration. 

Now is time for the changing of the guard and we have to be inventive and play an off the cuff GB style. Not the % rugby the aussies play, otherwise we will continue to do nothing.

We need our own style and be innovative.

The tried and failed is an interesting one.

If you pick your best side for an international competition and lose then will you be better off picking a side that isn't as good!

I'm not sure that the England side for the semi against Samoa was the very best side Wane could have picked but it wasn't far off with the players he had available to him.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Harsh…….he’s played 4 games, game 4 he didn’t complete. 61 tackles made, 92.4% tackle rate. 153 metres average run per game. 64m average post contact. Bit soon to say he’s struggling. What is he struggling with?

Well exactly 

17 hours ago, WN83 said:

I hope the clubs back this, including Catalans and Toulouse and we don’t see multiple pull outs. The way Catalans took it to St Helen’s last week made this game look far more promising ‘if’ all those guys are available. 

Only thing Catalans took last week was a damn good beating!

35 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

You are Terry O'Connor, and I claim my £5......

There have been some harsh things said on this site but this one takes the biscuit!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not sure that the England side for the semi against Samoa was the very best side Wane could have picked but it wasn't far off with the players he had available to him.

I'm certain it wasn't his best side, instead of using the tournament to allow players to play their way into the matchday squad, he had a side in mind and picked them for the semi no matter how they performed in the previous games.  

2 hours ago, Hopie said:

I'm certain it wasn't his best side, instead of using the tournament to allow players to play their way into the matchday squad, he had a side in mind and picked them for the semi no matter how they performed in the previous games.  

England played extremely well up until that semi final. It is something that seems to be totally forgotten about however. 

Edited by WN83
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, WN83 said:

England played extremely well up until that semi final. It is something that seems to be totally forgotten about however. 

I think people rightly focus on the fact that that there was a 60 point swing in it. 

How the hell u got from 60-6 win to a 26-20 loss is shocking .

The rest doesn't matter

On 16/04/2024 at 21:19, WN83 said:

Toulouse will be fielding plenty of players that night. Shame it will be about 3 hours after the England game when Toulouse play Featherstone.