Thu 25th Apr: SL: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/04/24 at 19:30

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

Exactly what i said at the ground, if it wasn't Connor we'd have had 2 penalties but because it's Connor it's ignored almost as if he deserves it, some will he does, but you can't not apply laws based on which player is involved.

Live by the sword etc.....

• Like 1

Watched five mins of this, five mins in which Connor behaved like....well, Connor. One step forward, two steps back. Is he really worth persisting with? After all, screaming at the ref because of some perceived refs mistake is exclusive forum territory.

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, dkw said:

Live by the sword etc.....

Maybe so but there's one thing winding him up and let's be honest he does his fair share but seems to not be able to control himself when it gets to him, and there's opposition players having a free reign to do what they like to him unpunished by the match officials like it's some sort of pantomime and he's the villian for 'entertainment' purposes.

As most people will agree lashing out and hitting people in the face is 100% a penalty but for some reason if it's Jake Connor involved it's fair game and play on.

I can understand Jake's frustrations, if it was the other way he would probably have been having a 10 minute sit down having conceded penalties for it so yes i do sympathise but i also wish he'd stop letting it affect his own game as much, one his head is gone his game is done and that is exactly why the opposition, knowing they can, do it.

The rules are there for a reason and should apply to everyone not based on which players are involved.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

Watched five mins of this, five mins in which Connor behaved like....well, Connor. One step forward, two steps back. Is he really worth persisting with? After all, screaming at the ref because of some perceived refs mistake is exclusive forum territory.

ITs very amusing that hes often talked about as winding up the opposition, yet more often than not its him that ends up wound up to the detriment of his own team.

• Like 5

We used to get the same problem with Danny Brough, he was brilliant at his best but was given a short stick by refs, and prejudged on his rep.

I remember Brough being sent off after complaining he'd been punched on the floor in front of the TJ - his language deserved a red, but he was still punched on the floor, multiple times. 

• Like 3

It's perfectly acceptable for fans to hate on Connor and think he gets what he deserves. It isn't however acceptable for referees to be clouded by who it is. 

Im not one for criticising refs, but I struggle to watch that and not see the ref being influenced by the player and just ignoring other players hitting out at him. That just isn't acceptable imo. 

We don't referee games based on 'you reap what you sow' or 'boy who cried wolf'. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's perfectly acceptable for fans to hate on Connor and think he gets what he deserves. It isn't however acceptable for referees to be clouded by who it is. 

Im not one for criticising refs, but I struggle to watch that and not see the ref being influenced by the player and just ignoring other players hitting out at him. That just isn't acceptable imo. 

We don't referee games based on 'you reap what you sow' or 'boy who cried wolf'. 

He was constantly at it for 10 minutes, claiming all kinds of things, most of which were nonsense.. So you can hardly blame a ref for thinking he was just once again play acting. He has no one to blame other than himself. So yeah, reap what you sow fits, or maybe "act like a xxx, get treat like a xxxx" is more suitable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

He was constantly at it for 10 minutes, claiming all kinds of things, most of which were nonsense.. So you can hardly blame a ref for thinking he was just once again play acting. He has no one to blame other than himself. So yeah, reap what you sow fits, or maybe "act like a xxx, get treat like a xxxx" is more suitable.

But a ref is surely watching what is happening, no? We all saw the Saints players lashing out.

It's not really an offence to be a bit of a t0sser. Thankfully! 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But a ref is surely watching what is happening, no? We all saw the Saints players lashing out.

He lashed out, but Conor also had kept a hold of the Saints player's shirt. From the ref's position, could easily have seen it as the player getting the defender off him before playing the ball. 

Absolutely shocking reaction from Conor, and he's cost his team a win. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dkw said:

ITs very amusing that hes often talked about as winding up the opposition, yet more often than not its him that ends up wound up to the detriment of his own team.

Which is also something else i said at the ground, he can't take it back and it affects his game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Five minutes later we also saw the Huddersfield winger lash out at a Saints player holding him so he could PTB. You could hear the ref saying it was like the Conner incident and just play on. The problem was in the Conner incident he didn’t play on and just let his team down. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Five minutes later we also saw the Huddersfield winger lash out at a Saints player holding him so he could PTB. You could hear the ref saying it was like the Conner incident and just play on. The problem was in the Conner incident he didn’t play on and just let his team down. 

What Connor does is for his coach to worry about, and if he costs Hudds games, that's on him/them. 

I'm not sure refs should just be ignoring foul play. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What Connor does is for his coach to worry about, and if he costs Hudds games, that's on him/them. 

I'm not sure refs should just be ignoring foul play. 

Players pushing out at ptb balls to get defenders off them happens 10+ times a game without penalties. Granted what Knowles does is along the road of having the penalty reversed but that’s going to come down to the view the ref has of the incident. 

6 hours ago, phiggins said:

He lashed out, but Conor also had kept a hold of the Saints player's shirt. From the ref's position, could easily have seen it as the player getting the defender off him before playing the ball. 

The first post to accurately describe what happened. The referee probably thought it was a 6 of one and a half dozen of the other type of incident. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Players pushing out at ptb balls to get defenders off them happens 10+ times a game without penalties. Granted what Knowles does is along the road of having the penalty reversed but that’s going to come down to the view the ref has of the incident. 

You wouldn’t reverse a penalty. You could have easily penalised Connor for interfering with the PTB as the first offence. 

6 hours ago, phiggins said:

It happened several times before and after, without the pathetic little baby tantrum obviously. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LeeF said:

You wouldn’t reverse a penalty. You could have easily penalised Connor for interfering with the PTB as the first offence. 

Yeah sorry I didn’t mean a proper reverse of a penalty. Just that Knowles did push the limits of what you can get away with getting the defender to release him. He could’ve easily been penalised if the ref had a clear view of where the contact was. 

• Like 2

I just genuinely don't see all these slaps by the ball carrier that apparently happen loads of times a game. We must be gentlemen in the Warrington team. 

• Haha 2

On 25/04/2024 at 21:46, Chrispmartha said:

Saints don’t really deserve that, Lomax has been dire all game

I can’t fault his defence but he is very poor in attack especially his naff grubbers which bounce perfectly for the opposition.