Sun 12th May: 1895 SF: York Knights v Sheffield Eagles KO 15:00

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• York Knights
    • Sheffield Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/24 at 14:30

Please stick to discussing the match in question and do not accuse match officials of being biased or corrupt or you run the risk of being immediately banned from the forum.

On current form, Sheffield are big favourites. Whether York can overturn the odds very much depends on which York team turns up -  the one that beat the Bulls a fortnight ago, or the one that performed so poorly against Whitehaven at the weekend. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Three figure attendance incoming.

It’s easy to support a winning team, true fans turn up no matter what, as hard as it might be sometimes! 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

It’s easy to support a winning team, true fans turn up no matter what, as hard as it might be sometimes! 

There weren't many round me at Heworth watching York v north Wales a few years back. There comes a time when you need to hang your boots up though 😉. I'll listen on the wireless then I can turn it off when it gets too much.

2 hours ago, Expatknight said:

fully agree thats what sport is all about, most of us who have seen good and bad will be there, you just never know what you might miss😀

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Currently 18-22 with about 25 minutes to go. Eagles were 10-0 up after 7 minutes and 16-0 before the quarter of an hour mark, but York have come right back at them, very good game so far.

Edited by JonM

Can’t knock the effort today, all the forwards put in a shift , Hingano and Daley class too.

still no reason to change my mind about how Sheffield play, always looking for penalties, trying to wind up the opposition and generally playing negative rugby, it might be effective but it really isn’t my thing.

We should be wise to them by now.

good tries by Marsh and Glover though. 
slow start by the Knights cost us, but much improved from last week.

more positives than negatives so looking forward to next week against Fax who at least like to play rugby. Discipline needs to be improved still.

7 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

still no reason to change my mind about how Sheffield play, always looking for penalties, trying to wind up the opposition and generally playing negative rugby, it might be effective but it really isn’t my thing.

Yes, always a bit of niggle and targeting of key opposition players in Eagles games, no matter who they're playing. They must have come out well ahead in the penalty count today though, York definitely need to work on the discipline.  Can't see York being anywhere near a relegation spot come the end of the season on this performance though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

and you never will. It's called confirmation bias.

• Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

Can’t knock the effort today, all the forwards put in a shift , Hingano and Daley class too.

We should be wise to them by now.

good tries by Marsh and Glover though. 
slow start by the Knights cost us, but much improved from last week.

more positives than negatives so looking forward to next week against Fax who at least like to play rugby. Discipline needs to be improved still.

Penalties Sheffield 8 York 7+1 set restart.

I'd suggest your view is biased.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, tim2 said:

and you never will. It's called confirmation bias.

You are Professor David Wilson and I claim my five Bank of Scotland pounds!

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Penalties Sheffield 8 York 7+1 set restart.

I'd suggest your view is biased.

Read what I wrote, I didn’t say anything about the penalties for or against, what I did say is that Sheffield in the way they play, play for penalties, since Aston has coached them that is what they do, slowing the ruck, getting in the refs ear, winding up their opponents, if that is what floats your boat fine, I don’t see other teams doing it over here, used to see it a bit down under. That is my opinion for what it’s worth. At the end of the day I go to watch rugby having been involved in this great game for far to many years than I care to remember, at all levels on both sides of the world. It is not a question of bias.The York players should be smart enough not to get drawn in.

18 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Read what I wrote, I didn’t say anything about the penalties for or against, what I did say is that Sheffield in the way they play, play for penalties, since Aston has coached them that is what they do, slowing the ruck, getting in the refs ear, winding up their opponents, if that is what floats your boat fine, I don’t see other teams doing it over here, used to see it a bit down under. That is my opinion for what it’s worth. At the end of the day I go to watch rugby having been involved in this great game for far to many years than I care to remember, at all levels on both sides of the world. It is not a question of bias.The York players should be smart enough not to get drawn in.

OK well, thanks for explaining.  I take it the equality of penalties is due to the referee giving Sheffield penalties they didn't deserve whilst York's were all clear cut, obvious offences.

Sounds a bit like "Waaah, it's not fair" to me but, obviously, you're set in your own mind.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"