Players You Were Most Disappointed In Losing From Your Club.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Add in Briers and it’s not a bad spine to start off from. 

Briers joined because we were broke and lost our best developing talent, so he probably wouldn't have happened if were strong financially.  

As bargain basement buys go though, what an influence he turned out to be.   A great shame that he didn't really mature until late on, when we saw the massive amount of rugby intelligence he has.   Nice to see him getting big coaching raps in Aus though.

Edited by Fly-By-TheWire

In the lower echelons of the sport at ORLFC I was gutted when Michael Ward went to the dogs, and we had a fantastic shortly burning star in Mr George Tyson, who for a spell looked as good as Goodway! high praise indeed!

On 11/05/2024 at 13:34, Wigan Riversider said:

Despite working abroad at the time I was sad to see Sam Tomkins leave for NZ Warriors. I had a sports package so could watch SL and NRL games.

I was more sad that he didn’t go to a better run club where he could have truly shone and showed the Aussies he was as good as anyone in the world.

As a Wigan fan it was just good not to lose him to Union instead as with so many over the years.

Joe Lydon to Wigan for an alleged £100000 that went straight to the bank.

Andy Gregory to Warrington.

Jonathan Davies to Warrington for nothing. 

Offiah of course.

The list is enormous.

Getting depressed now!😁

On 10/05/2024 at 10:10, wakeyranger said:

Gareth Ellis. Can't blame for leaving wakey at the time though.

You beat me to it and I'm Leeds and I dont blame him going to Oz ,but he got a couple of rings with us .great player and nice lad 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

23 hours ago, eclecticsheep said:

In the lower echelons of the sport at ORLFC I was gutted when Michael Ward went to the dogs, and we had a fantastic shortly burning star in Mr George Tyson, who for a spell looked as good as Goodway! high praise indeed!

I for one was glad he did.

On 12/05/2024 at 19:07, Fly-By-TheWire said:

Briers joined because we were broke and lost our best developing talent, so he probably wouldn't have happened if were strong financially.  

As bargain basement buys go though, what an influence he turned out to be.   A great shame that he didn't really mature until late on, when we saw the massive amount of rugby intelligence he has.   Nice to see him getting big coaching raps in Aus though.

I'd add to this, Great Britain (at the time) biggest travesty is not developing an attacking team around this incredible playmaker, and instead playing it safe with players either out of position or otherwise. Briers was 100% a GB great in the making. Sadly, we never got to see it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I remember Gary Mercer telling me and a few of my mates at a junior rugby camp he wasn't going anywhere -and then he signed for Leeds. That was gutting.

But like others have stated, Sculthorpe and Harris leaving Warrington was a big deal, but the club was in a mess and I dont think Scully or Harris's leaving remarks were complimentary at the time due to the running of the club. The what if's!

Edited by The British Lion

As an 11 year old back in 1949 I cried myself to sleep for a few nights after Bruce Ryan an Aus winger left Hull for Leeds. Had heard from my Aus relatives before he came in 1947 that he was a very good player. Was one of a crowd between 4-5 thousand who were there to greet him when he arrived in Hull by train.

Idolised him and went to every match he played in Hull. If someone asked me today who was the best winger I had seen play for Hull I would answer Bruce Ryan.

• Like 3

On 12/05/2024 at 21:17, eclecticsheep said:

As well I was disappointed that Danny langtree went to barrow and also the loss of liam bent, he was a tackling machine. Oh and obviously Tyler dupree.

No great star I admit but I was disappointed when we let Kyle Evans go and resigned Lee Kershaw instead. 

Whatever happened to Evans after he joined Fev?  Wiki shows just one appearance.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

On a more personal level, I was devastated when John Woods left us for Rochdale. I was young and it was harder to follow the game, but when the news came up on Granada Reports I was gutted. As a young lad I loved watching him play and he was my favourite player in his couple of years at Wire. 

On 14/05/2024 at 08:40, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

No great star I admit but I was disappointed when we let Kyle Evans go and resigned Lee Kershaw instead. 

Whatever happened to Evans after he joined Fev?  Wiki shows just one appearance.

Played a couple of games. Took his chances, ran straight, and impressed. 

Next thing we heard he was on loan at Broncos (did nothing) and was then back in union(?).

• Thanks 1

Another fan-favourite at Wire was Welsh convert Rowland Phillips. He often struggled to make it into the first team despite being a favourite with supporters (in reality he was a touch lazy and a bit of a defensive liability), and I remember the Warrington Guardian running a campaign against his transfer to Workington - you had to call the phone number and say something like "We love Roly" down the phone to have your vote logged. 🤣

• Like 1

For me guys like Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell and Sam Tomkins spring to mind but in more recent times and still now, I was really disappointed to lose Matty Nicholson to Wire. I don't think he's scratched the surface of his talent yet and when I've mentioned that to other Wigan fans, some will come back and say it's ok because we had KPP or we've now got Nsemba and Walters but I see Nicholson as the sort of player you build a pack around. He's rock solid, has a great work rate and will only get better and better. I'm a huge fan of Nsemba and loved what I saw in Walters last year for Leeds but they're very different to Farrell and Isa and in Nicholson, I saw a really natural replacement for those two or a natural replacement for Morgan Smithies long term.