Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#161 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

That will do.

*shudder* something very sinister about that response!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#162 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

*shudder* something very sinister about that response!

B) Water.

#163 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Had six wood pigeons bathing in the pond yesterday.
Never seen anything like it before - they were spreading out their wings and floating around like ducks! The and almighty scrap broke out

The good news is that we have lots of frogs and spawn, a lot more than the one clump last year when the pond was only six months old.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#164 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

was really happy to see a pair of Song Thrushes in the garden the other morning,it's been a long while
we've got a pair of Dunnocks in the conifers at the bottom and there's a Robin that has taken a shine to the food we put out,the friendly Blackbird has brought a pal with him,and the Starlings are here half a dozen at a time,2 or 3 Jackdaws have been on the garage roof along with the Collared Doves that are nesting nearby,there's a 3rd Wood Pigeon that's arrived which turns up occasionally with the other 2,I thought they might have seen him off.
The friendly Blackbird came down onto the fence whilst I was putting some fruit out and actually caught my ear with his wing,he sat on 1 edge of the feed tray as I had my hand on the other side a matter of inches away

there's something very relaxing about seeing a good crowd of them in the garden at the same time style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Over the years, I have seen a pheasant, ducks, mice, rats, owls, bats, fox, frogs, toads, heron and much more wildlife in my garden, and including my favourite bird....robin redbreast, who once sat on my boot. Of course, I do have moles as well. :(

#165 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:05 PM

i put a bluetit box out about three years ago have we had a bluetit in it? no, but the tiniest of wrens has been using it for the last two years and brought up two broods.

Edited by my missus, 17 March 2013 - 08:07 PM.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#166 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Watching two sparrows build in the bluetit nest box at the bottom of the garden this morning. First time ever.
He seems to be doing all the work, hunting in the snow for material. She pops in now and again for a look.
It's a very tight squeeze for them both.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

#167 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Just to add the pond is frozen solid and covered in snow. Keep removing some snow as best I can to let the light in so hope the frog spawn and the wee beasts are okay.

#168 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Spotted this little chap by the River Hull yesterday. Didn't have my father's gun with me though.

Posted Image

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#169 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Just to add the pond is frozen solid and covered in snow. Keep removing some snow as best I can to let the light in so hope the frog spawn and the wee beasts are okay.

yeah i just spotted a heap of frog spawn in a large puddle made from melting snow :(

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#170 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,813 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

a greenfinch has nested in a bush near our living room window. It's really busy right now: more interesting watching it than atching the telly.
The foxes wo live in the corner of the field nxet to our house seem to have made it thrugh the winter ok, but one of them looks a little lame.

in recent weeks seen a kingfisher a couple of times near Adel beck close by the old flax work weir.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#171 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

A couple of pied wagtails bounce around the car park at work.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#172 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

Our BlueTits have fledged but I have spotted frogs in the gardne but we don't have a pond.

#173 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Our BlueTits have fledged but I have spotted frogs in the gardne but we don't have a pond.

Lil bro spotted a frog on our driveway a month or so ago. It wasn't until he was closing the gates he's spotted he'd driven over it. :(

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#174 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Frogs spend much of their time away from ponds, streams etc, like many other amphibians. I get them in my garden and I don't have a pond. We can help frogs by providing food sources and shelter in our gardens, as well as accessible ponds with native plants.

#175 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

The Welsh Harp reservoir near where I live in Hendon is usually teeming with birds. There's a nice winding path round the North half of the lake which I take once in a while.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#176 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

The Welsh Harp reservoir near where I live in Hendon is usually teeming with birds. There's a nice winding path round the North half of the lake which I take once in a while.

You should leave it for others to enjoy too.

Selfish bleeder.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#177 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,795 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

We've just had a far too rare visit from our local Jay in our garden.  A lovely bird but very shy.  He doesn't seem to like squirrels very much though given by the crawing he was giving one that was too close to him,

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#178 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I went to my regular egg farm last week! On the track there and back there must have been 30 partridges blocking the way!
I drove through slowly but they wern't that bothered about moving.
When I was a kid there were loads of partridges around here but these were the first I have seen for about 50 years.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#179 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

We've just had a far too rare visit from our local Jay in our garden.  A lovely bird but very shy.  He doesn't seem to like squirrels very much though given by the crawing he was giving one that was too close to him,

Amazingly timid birds given their size. 

#180 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,003 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

It seems there has been a bumper crop of apples everywhere in Bradford this year.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users