Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• Please log in to reply
881 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,581 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getting quite panicky Darn Sarf at the moment as there COULD be UP TO 10cm of snow in London tonight/tomorrow morning. rolleyes.gif

Talk of sending people home early/working from home tomorrow for those who have to drive in. rolleyes.gif

No word however to those of us who face a 250 mile journey tomoorow though. dry.gif

That annoys the hell out of me. I remember in the 70s and 80s, gritters gritting every road around our way at the threat of snow, these days they only do A roads and bus routes after the snow has fallen yet there were three stories on breakfast news about the councils worrying about their grit supplies running out. FFS... they've had 10 months since our last snowfall to restock yet are now realising they haven't got enough. They'll do the same next year.

Go to any other country that gets snow in the winter and they just get on with it. In Britain, our investment in our transport infrastructure and maintenance is pathetic at best and closer to being outright criminally negligent.

Our local council is genuinely considering cutting back the money they spend on this sort of thing because they have to make 14% cuts across their entire budget due to government grant reductions; well, cuts on everything but education as that's been mandated as uncuttable by central government edict meaning that everything else has to put up with deeper cuts.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Dec 17 2009, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getting quite panicky Darn Sarf at the moment as there COULD be UP TO 10cm of snow in London tonight/tomorrow morning. rolleyes.gif

Talk of sending people home early/working from home tomorrow for those who have to drive in. rolleyes.gif

No word however to those of us who face a 250 mile journey tomoorow though. dry.gif

Excellent - let's hope it spreads to Hook (in Hampshire)
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#23 voteronniegibbs

voteronniegibbs
  • Coach
  • 11,136 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (Saint Rich @ Dec 17 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent. My work Christmas party tonight, so this is a useful coincidence.

excellent as in you've got an excuse not to go, or excellent as in you'll get snowed in and a lock in will ensue?? biggrin.gif

#24 Saint Rich

Saint Rich
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (voteronniegibbs @ Dec 17 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
excellent as in you've got an excuse not to go, or excellent as in you'll get snowed in and a lock in will ensue?? biggrin.gif

The latter. Won't be too late back tonight though as taxis cost a king's ransom to get to Kingston from town.

#25 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Dec 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That annoys the hell out of me. I remember in the 70s and 80s, gritters gritting every road around our way at the threat of snow, these days they only do A roads and bus routes after the snow has fallen yet there were three stories on breakfast news about the councils worrying about their grit supplies running out. FFS... they've had 10 months since our last snowfall to restock yet are now realising they haven't got enough. They'll do the same next year.

Go to any other country that gets snow in the winter and they just get on with it. In Britain, our investment in our transport infrastructure and maintenance is pathetic at best and closer to being outright criminally negligent.

Our local council is genuinely considering cutting back the money they spend on this sort of thing because they have to make 14% cuts across their entire budget due to government grant reductions; well, cuts on everything but education as that's been mandated as uncuttable by central government edict meaning that everything else has to put up with deeper cuts.

Meanwhile Boris has pledged to spend 60m of Londerners trasport budget on electric cars, so that's ok then. Linky
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Dec 17 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Th

what's the name of your local authority?

as I understand it, the Highways Agency looks after salting motorways and trunk roads.

here is what they do in Lincolnshire including precautionary salting.

These days, authorities use GPS and vehicle telematics to ensure that the right level of salt is spread on the right roads at the right times and that complete records are kept.

see here and here

#27 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 17 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as I understand it, the Highways Agency looks after salting motorways and trunk roads.

These days, authorities use GPS and vehicle telematics to ensure that the right level of salt is spread on the right roads at the right times and that complete records are kept.

see here and here

I think it is a bit of a lottery though depending on who your council happens to be. Where I live, in Merseyside they are usually very good, with the gritters out early gritting all but the most minor side streets. However just a couple of miles away you cross into West Lanacashire, where on the same day you will be lucky if the A roads have been done. This difference is not just occational but is what happens most of the time.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#28 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,581 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Dec 17 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

see here and here

Suffolk Council. Trunk roads are Highways agency, others are council.

Council priorities:
* Priority 1 – All A and B class roads, and the busiest bus and commuter routes on other roads. These are treated on any occasion ice or snow is forecast to be a hazard;
* Priority 2 - Other significant bus routes and other commuter routes. Treated if snow or ice is forecast to persist for much of the day, or shorter term conditions will be severe, e.g. rain turning to ice;
* Priority 3 – Other classified roads and busier unclassified roads. Only treated in prolonged severe conditions as resources permit; and
* Priority 4 – Remaining surfaced unclassified roads. Treated in conditions of severe and prolonged snow, as resources permit.

In reality, we'd have to have a new ice age before they grit priority 3 and 4 roads. It wasn't too many years ago that they'd do their best to grit every road and they'd have the stock levels to do it properly.

Also, do you REALLY trust a government computer project to get the gritting levels right? Really?

In Suffolk and Essex, I've seen some major A roads closed in weather that simply isn't that bad because the gritting and clearance is ######. There is no excuse for not gritting roads BEFORE a predicted heavy snowfall but it happens every year and will every year in future.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Dec 17 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, do you REALLY trust a government computer project to get the gritting levels right? Really?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

fortunately, they aren't govt computer projects!! In once case its a managed service run by the Salt Union, the company that puts the hole under Winsford.

I see though that Alastair, darling, has dropped the ID card part of the ED scheme, though it is not clear if the plan to continue with the huge database behind it.

#30 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Loads of snow in Queensbury biggrin.gif
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#31 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Dec 17 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loads of snow in Queensbury biggrin.gif

dry.gif

Just a light dusting here in north Leeds - which has already turned to ice on the pavements and roads. I've been doing that John Wayne walk that somehow makes you feel like you're less likely to fall on your backside..

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Rubber Schnib @ Dec 16 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No no no, sorry. I'm a little further afield than that, my apologies for the misunderstanding!

Lapland?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Dec 17 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lapland?

Definitely closer, but left and down a bit.
Posted Image

#34 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,981 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Rubber Schnib @ Dec 17 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely closer, but left and down a bit.

apland?

(I'll get my coat. Defo need one)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#35 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Dec 17 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
apland?

(I'll get my coat. Defo need one)

Took me a fair few seconds to figure that one out! biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#36 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Heavy snow in Copenhagen (with topical irony) and predicted to drop to -12oC.

Luckily, I am in tropical Brussels. Only a few inches of snow, a sweltering -5 and only predicted to go to -8oC at the weekend. I might top up my tan.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#37 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Bob8 @ Dec 17 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heavy snow in Copenhagen (with topical irony) and predicted to drop to -12oC.

Pretty, though.
Posted Image

#38 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,945 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Snowing quite heavily in Morley.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#39 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:34 AM

Light dusting last evening in Bridgend. No more since then but its bloody freezing. ph34r.gif

#40 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Light dusting in Stoke. However family in Neustadt, Canada have got 14 inches worth.

Beat that London biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users