Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Saints dummy spitters Graham and Wilkin

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Think James Graham and Jon Wilkin's antics were the black mark on the Grand Final, behaving like Soccer players in backchatting to ref and disputing decisions endlessly.

Next season the refs have got to spell it out, any continuous backchat and its 10 mins in the sin bin. We are heading down a path like Soccer when players are starting to gang up and show no respect for the officials.

It needs eradicating from out game.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

Totally agree.

Kevin Sinfield is one of the worst for it at the moment. In fact, most of the Leeds team are bad for it. There needs to be a rule (or an enforcement of a rule if there is one) that cuts this out. It's infuriating.
Posted Image

#3 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

Indeed. Anyone apart from the captain should not be able to question or talk to the ref unless pointing out an injury. Just like in the amateur game. And then he should be referred to as"sir". Bring back some manners into our game and show the rest of the sporting world how to behave.
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,918 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:30 PM

One thing we don't see these days is teams being marched back 10.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'll start by saying I think James Graham is a fantastic player,who has for the third year running been the forward who has gained most metres in SL. He would be a huge asset to any team he plays for, is not a dirty player and I'm pretty sure most fans on here wouldn't be too upset if he played for their own team.

However this backchatting to the ref for every decision he disagrees with, is an element creeping into his game which is both costly for the team and ugly to watch.
Opponents will have already taken notice that he's being rattled and will exploit it more often unless he can curb his temper. This is costing Saints in penalties conceded,and you could argue that whatever metres he makes going forward are nullified if he's giving metres away via the penalty count.

I hope the new coach can bring James back "online", and next year we see more of the old James Graham than the current angry one.

#6 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,440 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Oct 3 2010, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing we don't see these days is teams being marched back 10.

Happened in one of the playoff games,can't remember which one though. But, it is ideed very rare these days.

Bring back Steve Ganson, that's what I say. He never stood for back chat from anyone. cool.gif
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,962 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Oct 3 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring back Steve Ganson, that's what I say. He never stood for back chat from anyone. cool.gif

Isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?! ohmy.gif unsure.gif

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Graham should have seen where his team mates on the left of the field were when Sts kicked off just prior to his spat before mouthing off.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Oct 3 2010, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't that what got him in trouble in the first place?! ohmy.gif unsure.gif

Yeah but she was asking for it.

rldfsignature.jpg

#10 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:26 PM

In this case I think we need better refereeing. It was a final and some of the decisions Graham was livid over he had every right to be. I'm not saying the referee was biased because he wasn't and that would detract from a comprehensive Wigan victory, but this really needs to be addressed. Possession is everything in Rugby League.

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,827 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Happens at all levels of the game and its probably unfair to just single out the two players named in the thread title, we really don't need to see it, but its becoming more and more of a feature.

#12 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Oct 3 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happens at all levels of the game and its probably unfair to just single out the two players named in the thread title, we really don't need to see it, but its becoming more and more of a feature.

agree its unfair to single out 2 players

Wellens is a jumped up little gimp as well.

it needs sorting now and the Ref is in charge, stamp it out now.

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Oct 3 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happened in one of the playoff games,can't remember which one though. But, it is ideed very rare these days.

It happened to Halifax at the HJ last Sunday.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Oct 3 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In this case I think we need better refereeing. It was a final and some of the decisions Graham was livid over he had every right to be. I'm not saying the referee was biased because he wasn't and that would detract from a comprehensive Wigan victory, but this really needs to be addressed. Possession is everything in Rugby League.

Two or three Sts players were offside at the KO as they anticipated the short one. If the ref sees this then Graham has nothing to whinge about and Wigan have the vital possession.

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,604 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Oct 3 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
some of the decisions Graham was livid over he had every right to be.

No he didn't. He has to accept the refs decision.

#16 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Oct 3 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he didn't. He has to accept the refs decision.

He can be livid if he wants. But he has to keep it in his own head. Outwardly, accept the call and move on. IMO backchatting is a sign of weakness from a player.

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

I emailed Mr Cummins at RFL headquarters about this some time ago. Not surprisingly I am still awaiting a reply.

Maybe they just don't care!!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (PC @ Oct 3 2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He can be livid if he wants. But he has to keep it in his own head. Outwardly, accept the call and move on. IMO backchatting is a sign of weakness from a player.

Perhaps referees would do well to remember Robin Whitfield and Jeff Grayshon.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Oct 3 2010, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think James Graham and Jon Wilkin's antics were the black mark on the Grand Final, behaving like Soccer players in backchatting to ref and disputing decisions endlessly.

Next season the refs have got to spell it out, any continuous backchat and its 10 mins in the sin bin. We are heading down a path like Soccer when players are starting to gang up and show no respect for the officials.

It needs eradicating from out game.

First of all, I agree something needs to be done.That said, you always let yourself down by targeing the same players. rolleyes.gif

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#20 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 963 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Oct 3 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps referees would do well to remember Robin Whitfield and Jeff Grayshon.

Nobody wants to remember Robin Whitfield.

Not to excuse Jeff but Whitfield's performance that day was surely the worst in the history of the game.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left