21-23 Apr: Ladbrokes Challenge Cup - Round Five Match Thread

Discuss all this weekend's Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Round Five games here.

FRIDAY 21st APRIL
Leeds Rhinos v Doncaster KO 8pm

SATURDAY 22nd APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 3pm

SUNDAY 23rd APRIL
Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs KO 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Oldham KO 3pm
Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions KO 12.30pm
Salford Red Devils v Toronto Wolfpack KO 12.15pm
Whitehaven v Halifax KO 3pm
York City Knights v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the light of day and the priority being SL survival do I want the distraction of a Challenge cup run, I don't know, do I want to beat Hull KR and get that psychological advantage for what is to come, absolutely.

FWIW I believe the club will be working overtime to get some of the injured bodies fit and ready for Saturday, I will be there and cheering them on as usual.

If both teams can field better teams than they put out on Monday, I will go for a home victory, not by many mind, I think that the Robins will want to prove a point to themselves and the rest of the yet to named middle 8 teams.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Fairly strong squad from Leeds - think id maybe go with the below

• Handley

• Briscoe, Watkins, Walters, Hall

• Lilley, Moon

• Singleton, Burrow, Galloway

• Baldwinson, Delaney
  • Cuthbo

• Garbutt, Oledzki, Hallas, Ormondroyd

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Discuss all this weekend's Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Round Five games here.

FRIDAY 21st APRIL
Leeds Rhinos v Doncaster KO 8pm

SATURDAY 22nd APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Hull Kingston Rovers KO 3pm

SUNDAY 23rd APRIL
Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs KO 3pm
Featherstone Rovers v Oldham KO 3pm
Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions KO 12.30pm
Salford Red Devils v Toronto Wolfpack KO 12.15pm
Whitehaven v Halifax KO 3pm
York City Knights v Barrow Raiders KO 3pm

My predictions:

Leeds

Leigh

Dewsbury

Featherstone

Huddersfield

Salford

Halifax

Barrow

Leeds Rhino v Doncaste

Leigh Centurions v Hull Kingston Rovers 

Dewsbury Rams v Batley Bulldogs 
Featherstone Rovers v Oldham 
Huddersfield Giants v Swinton Lions

Salford Red Devils v Toronto Wolfpack
Whitehaven v Halifax 
York City Knights v Barrow Raiders 

On 4/19/2017 at 6:14 AM, Moc said:

Leeds & Salford will be happy with this - while rest of SL have another tough match they should be able to put out a weak side and have a rest

You think Salford will have an easy time of it?!?! I guarantee they won't.

Also if you play Walters in the centre and Baldwinson as a wide back rower on the same side Donny will probably win.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Just now, Tex Evans Thigh said:

You think Salford will have an easy time of it?!?! I guarantee they won't.

Also if you play Walters in the centre and Baldwinson as a wide back rower on the same side Donny will probably win.

Leeds by 50, Salford by 30 - easy peasy

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, GaryO said:

In the light of day and the priority being SL survival do I want the distraction of a Challenge cup run, I don't know, do I want to beat Hull KR and get that psychological advantage for what is to come, absolutely.

FWIW I believe the club will be working overtime to get some of the injured bodies fit and ready for Saturday, I will be there and cheering them on as usual.

If both teams can field better teams than they put out on Monday, I will go for a home victory, not by many mind, I think that the Robins will want to prove a point to themselves and the rest of the yet to named middle 8 teams.

From what I saw of Hull KR on Good Friday, Leigh should beat them handily.  They really struggled against a weakened Fev side, and won courtesy of an interception and a couple of favourable 50/50 decisions.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

16 hours ago, Moc said:

Leeds by 50, Salford by 30 - easy peasy

Those scorelines may come about. However, I very much doubt either will be "easy-peasy". If they do, they will probably turn out to be second-half blowouts after two real battles.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

20 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Those scorelines may come about. However, I very much doubt either will be "easy-peasy". If they do, they will probably turn out to be second-half blowouts after two real battles.

Toronto may put up a first half fight but assuming Salford dont rest too many it'll be comfortable for Salford

Dons are going to get battered, theyve only managed 2 tried in 2 games and already had 80 pts put on them - all they can hope is Leeds get up to 40pts quickly and run with kids for rest of game

If Rowley does one thing, it is have his charges playing a type of football that is foreign to the game employed by SL clubs, he will have them playing an expansive game, what would be acheived by a Championship club trying to take on a SL club down the middle channel, like he did with Leigh surprise will have a modicum of success.

I expect TWP to come out throwing the ball around and it may give them some early rewards, but given Salford play a strong team I expect them to have to much pace, to much guile, and to much power as the game progresses.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

17 hours ago, Trojan said:

From what I saw of Hull KR on Good Friday, Leigh should beat them handily.  They really struggled against a weakened Fev side, and won courtesy of an interception and a couple of favourable 50/50 decisions.

Good god are you trying to make Steve blow a gasket!

If we play as we did against Fev then the likelihood is we will get beaten. Saying that it was one of our worst performances of the season and if we play as we have in our better performances we can hopefully give them a game.

Until I see a number of those poor performances I am willing to take the game in isolation as an overconfident side that got out-enthused by committed opposition. If it becomes the norm, then I will maybe be a bit more panicked.

The Leigh game gives us a marker of whether the current squad can compete with one of our likely middle 8s opponents. From what I have seen we lack the size to do so, but we shall see!

2 hours ago, Moc said:

Toronto may put up a first half fight but assuming Salford dont rest too many it'll be comfortable for Salford

Dons are going to get battered, theyve only managed 2 tried in 2 games and already had 80 pts put on them - all they can hope is Leeds get up to 40pts quickly and run with kids for rest of game

Fair enough. I bow to better knowledge.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

With Brierley in the side and Salford possibly looking to lay down a marker I would suggest Salford by 30 or if the TWP forwards actually have another gear then a lot closer

I don't think all the walk overs they have had will prepare them for this but the will be healthier and the one thing Brierley has is pace off the mark so looking forward to an expansive game plan plenty of offloads and hopefully some nice play by Salford down the middle as well from Lui & co around the likes of Fui who has the negative of not being a great defender in the middle of the park out of a tackle

Sneaky feeling it will be a lot closer than people think

I also thing Swinton will have a good 60 minutes against the Giants - so a bet on the half time score might be worthwhile

Leeds will destroy Donny

Tie of the round is Leigh v KR - why that isn't on TV let alone being streamed is beyond me - a grudge match if ever there was one and KR will be desperate to get the early bragging rights on a team they will meet in the middle 8's.

On 4/20/2017 at 5:12 PM, Trojan said:

:blink: :ohmy:

7 hours ago, HKRBob said:

Good god are you trying to make Steve blow a gasket!

:D

Beat me to it.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Wolfpack announce international streaming option for their Round 5 cup tie.

Geoblocked in the UK, for legal reasons, but anyone with the will can easily find the way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Futtocks could you do a little memo list on what to do to view in the UK.    Be grateful for that

What operating system and what browser are you using?

Google information about VPNs, anyway.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived