Salford v Catalans in New York

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

This seems a bizarre choice of game to take to New York.... Surely Wigan or Leeds, Wire or Saints would be better.  

I agree but we have to eat what is on the table or go hungry over here in NA...it can be marketed though, they had better get started!

2 minutes ago, barnyia said:

It's a Salford home game not a Catalans home game 

Yep, the article makes it clear that this is Salford's home game on Good Friday that's potentially being moved - and it's waiting on financial guarantees from Ricky Wilby & co. to cover both clubs' costs. Also comments that it might not be fair on their Easter Monday opponents (Huddersfield) as Catalans won't have played on Good Friday and they will.

1 minute ago, barnyia said:

Is it not huddersfield who didn't play last good Friday or was it another team? 

Hudds/Catalans ended up being played on the Wednesday before didn't it? And the Dragons won (and won on Easter Monday too - pretty much the last time they looked a decent side.)

Just now, Scubby said:

I'm not sure that Salford or Catalans being in New York will trouble the England or NZ squads to be fair.

Nope. And it's likely to otherwise be the lowest attended SL match of the season, which to me makes it a good choice to experiment with.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

And Catalonia has certainly been world news recently albeit not in RL.

I seriously doubt it has been mentioned on tv news in the US :-)

English club vs a French club is potentially interesting for Mr. Wilby to try to market I suppose.

20 minutes ago, JonM said:

I seriously doubt it has been mentioned on tv news in the US :-)

English club vs a French club is potentially interesting for Mr. Wilby to try to market I suppose.

Oh yes, the bubble! Lol

It would be great if the game was used to officially launch the club in New York with dignitaries and sponsors etc. However, for that to take place 1. We would probably actually need a CEO in place at the RFL 2. It would need the powers that be to actually make a decision one way or the other. 

The track record on the latter leaves a lot to be desired.

Not the first time Salford have been involved in taking the game to new territories.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived