Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I took today off work, as I had a delivery arriving. I could have got it delivered to work, but it was a case of wine, and I didn't fancy lugging something that heavy home.

Anyhoo, with the delivery stashed, I went to Borough Market after the NRL All-Stars games were over and had the first proper scran-splurge since I re-entered the world of work. Lots of delicious things went into the bag, including a morcilla (Spanish black pudding) paté, a wild rabbit, a couple of very stinky cheeses, some smoked eel, iberico bellota ham, black garlic, dressed crab and a game pie.

What with all that and the wine, I think I've got the weekend sorted.

Do you know that on the Brexit thread, being a support of a posh Super League team is a sign of elitism. If supporting Cas makes you dodgy, then you are really playing with fire!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

9 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Do you know that on the Brexit thread, being a support of a posh Super League team is a sign of elitism. If supporting Cas makes you dodgy, then you are really playing with fire!

Ah, the Brexit thread. If the first casualty of war is truth, then the first casualty of political discussion is a sense of humour.

And truth.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Fish and chips tonight.

The haddock measured almost half a yard (17” )in length was about 4 inches wide at its max point. With firm snow white flesh.

I have the smallest chips they do which is a cone and that is enough for two of us normally. My wife went to the theatre with my daughters so I had to eat them all myself!

2BE3B71B-B4FF-4323-BC4C-1A74F1B481B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Food of the Gods Bearman, looks fantastic.

We're lucky to have an excellent chippy just round the corner. Still outstandingly good value for money in this day and age.

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

Fish and chips tonight.

The haddock measured almost half a yard (17” )in length was about 4 inches wide at its max point. With firm snow white flesh.

I have the smallest chips they do which is a cone and that is enough for two of us normally. My wife went to the theatre with my daughters so I had to eat them all myself!

The pub in my dad's village doubles up as a fish'n'chip takeaway, and their portions are similarly ridiculous. Their children's portions are at least the size of an average chippy's regular serving. I like to think I have a healthy appetite, but a regular portion defeated me with sheer size.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Banh Mi for lunch today - a good one too! A Vietnamese rice flour baguette, filled with three kinds of pork (paté, ham and spicy roast), shredded carrot and daikon, mayonnaise, chilli sauce, coriander and cucumber.

Don’t know if my taste buds are deserting me in my dotage or Jersey Royal new potatoes have lost their unique taste, this years crop taste no better than the much cheaper varieties from Cyprus, Egypt etc. 

Getting more and more adventurous in my advancing years, pity my fluxing kitchen sockets are on the blink, trying to balance 3 meals (my wife is a nurse, hardly eats at work and finishes at 9pm whilst I start at 5am currently) is hard without a microwave. Going to invest in a slow cooker soon when up and running. Got 3 gammon joints, 1 on the bone and a whole duck to use up. The gammon was 9lb in weight and cost £4.50!! Whilst the Duck cost £2.50!! The luck of working in a supermarket.

Anyhoo, has anyone got or heard of a mustard glaze recipe for the ham on the bone?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Moose said:

Don’t know if my taste buds are deserting me in my dotage or Jersey Royal new potatoes have lost their unique taste, this years crop taste no better than the much cheaper varieties from Cyprus, Egypt etc. 

Funny you mention it; I bought some last week and, while they were nice, they didn't seem as tasty as I remembered either.

Edited by Futtocks

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/why-screw-caps-on-wine-bottles-can-be-better-than-corks-according-to-a-sommelier/ar-AABRGCi?ocid=spartanntp

Screw tops v Corks in wine bottles? Who cares as long as it is chilled and drinkable? I will even buy boxes.

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/why-screw-caps-on-wine-bottles-can-be-better-than-corks-according-to-a-sommelier/ar-AABRGCi?ocid=spartanntp

Screw tops v Corks in wine bottles? Who cares as long as it is chilled and drinkable? I will even buy boxes.

I have no problem with screw tops; it seemed a little odd when they first started appearing, but that was just because I was used to corks.

Wine boxes seem to be having a resurgence in the last couple of years, and some quite decent brands have begun to offer the option, although not that many yet. Mind you, those black plastic spigots do look a little odd when dangling from an Australian's hat.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Met some friends at the weekend in a restaurant i`ve never heard of before .Main course cost an arm and a leg , and as i guessed a few bits of meat and veg came on a huge plate . Tried to make me pay as much for a dessert  , wasn`t having that , pints cost nearly six quid ...........it`s the fish shop and down the working mens for me next week !

• Like 1

There's a good deal at Asda, £7 for 2 Pizza Express pizzas, a side (mozzarella sticks, loaded potato skins, garlic mushrooms, etc) and a 1.75l bottle of Coca Cola. Each pizza by itself is £4.

I have adorned my margherita pizza with marmite and mint. Pretty tasty!

40 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I have adorned my margherita pizza with marmite and mint. Pretty tasty!

You are a barbarian.  

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

41 minutes ago, Steve May said:

You are a barbarian.  

No pineapple, which is a small mercy at least.

On 03/03/2019 at 08:00, Bearman said:

Fish and chips tonight.

Spent a few days in Cornwall, got back  Thursday and fish & chips seemed to be almost every restaurant that didn't belong to Rick Stein

In fact we didn't know whether to call it Padstein or Rickstow on our visit, and it's between him and HRH who owns most.

One other thing did occur to us we tried mussels twice once whilst out to eat and once where we were staying. At first we thought it was the cooking at the restaurant but when we did our own it became obvious that the quality of Cornish Mussels was far better than those in France.

Edited by Oxford

“Thank you Salford & Eccles!”    

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Spent a few days in Cornwall, got back  Thursday and fish & chips seemed to be almost every restaurant that didn't belong to Rick Stein

In fact we didn't whether to call it Padstein or Rickstow on our visit, and it's between him and HRH who owns most.

One other thing did occur to us we tried mussels twice once whilst out to eat and once where we were staying. At first we thought it was the cooking at the restaurant but when we did our own it became obvious that the quality of Cornish Mussels was far better than those in France.

You can't do much to mussels without ruining them, so the quality of the central ingredient shows through. I love a big bowl of mussels with bread and butter to mop up the sauce afterwards. Too much British-caught seafood gets sold abroad, because we have some of the best produce around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

You can't do much to mussels without ruining them, so the quality of the central ingredient shows through. I love a big bowl of mussels with bread and butter to mop up the sauce afterwards. Too much British-caught seafood gets sold abroad, because we have some of the best produce around.

The fish in general in Cornwall was excellent but I had a fun moment where my wife was given Fondant Tatties that were under cooked in the middle and the restaurant manage tried to tell her they came like that al dente in the middle. I did my best and sent up warning flares and lit the neon danger sings and flashed interdit at her but she insisted on carrying on.

Eventually I made the Missus laugh by telling her she needs to realise that's how they come and she'd got it wrong all these years.

And yes too much fish goes abroad because our marine traditions mean we don't eat fish!

I love mussels too but prefer the bread without butter.

And all winter I dream of plateau de fruits de mer and we have booked a gite as part of the plan.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

And all winter I dream of plateau de fruits de mer and we have booked a gite as part of the plan.

I'm not one for posting pics of my meals but I found this online

image.png.1fac7c1d28641c2e02e92fd643d70964.png

When I'm in Perignan for a match this is dinner (with Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscat Sec from down the road)then a late huge salad for tea.

Edited by Oxford

And for dinner today (when the prawns arrive)

image.png.bd46ed15390f5b0cb25704ad2b747738.png

25 minutes ago, Oxford said:

And for dinner today (when the prawns arrive)

image.png.bd46ed15390f5b0cb25704ad2b747738.png

With a rose, of course!

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm not one for posting pics of my meals but I found this online

image.png.1fac7c1d28641c2e02e92fd643d70964.png

When I'm in Perignan for a match this is dinner (with Picpoul de Pinet or a Muscat Sec from down the road)then a late huge salad for tea.

Caught most of the stuff on that plate , people would be surprised whats swimming about of the Yorkshire coast 

18 minutes ago, henage said:

Caught most of the stuff on that plate , people would be surprised whats swimming about of the Yorkshire coast 

There used to be a Japanese restaurant in Scarborough, and the fish was fresh off the boat. I only ate there once, but it was really good.

Scarborough was also where I had my first oyster. Wonderful.

• Like 1