Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

Just been on the BBC food website, and found all my saved recipes have been deleted. I am horrified.

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

Currently watching 'The Final Table', and wondering what guest judge Julio Cesar Chavez would do if he didn't like your food. ?

Edited by Futtocks

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

'The Final Table' on Netflix is master chefs being professional. The BBC's 'Masterchef: The Professionals' is so far behind this level that it's unreal and a little embarrassing.

And TFT doesn't have a shouty Mockney grocer yelling all the time either.

• Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

On 11/20/2018 at 8:16 PM, Futtocks said:

Currently watching 'The Final Table', and wondering what guest judge Julio Cesar Chavez would do if he didn't like your food. ?

If he straps on his headband then watch out ...

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If he straps on his headband then watch out ...

He turned out to be a fun and enthusiastic judge. Not many dead.

31 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

'The Final Table' on Netflix is master chefs being professional. The BBC's 'Masterchef: The Professionals' is so far behind this level that it's unreal and a little embarrassing.

Behind in what way? The quality of the chefs?

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Behind in what way? The quality of the chefs?

Quality of chefs, quality of judges, absence of Gregg Wallace.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

With Christmas around the corner - anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

I’ve already picked up the obligatory Black Friday purchase of Laurent Perrier NV Cuvee Rose (£42, usually £60) which seems to please most people.

Next up, I’m thinking of picking up some of Sainsbury’s own brand Demi Sec champagne at £19.  It’s not something I’ve bought before and am pretty unfamiliar with demi sec champagne generally other than the history of it.  Not sure whether I should start here or with a more recognisable brand?

Would be all ears to any other suggestions and the only other thing I would throw out there is to try Camel Valley English Sparkling wine.  The Cornish vineyard has recently become by royal appointment, if it’s good enough for them it is good enough for you! ?

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

With Christmas around the corner - anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

I’ve already picked up the obligatory Black Friday purchase of Laurent Perrier NV Cuvee Rose (£42, usually £60) which seems to please most people.

Next up, I’m thinking of picking up some of Sainsbury’s own brand Demi Sec champagne at £19.  It’s not something I’ve bought before and am pretty unfamiliar with demi sec champagne generally other than the history of it.  Not sure whether I should start here or with a more recognisable brand?

Would be all ears to any other suggestions and the only other thing I would throw out there is to try Camel Valley English Sparkling wine.  The Cornish vineyard has recently become by royal appointment, if it’s good enough for them it is good enough for you! ?

I don't buy fizz often enough to have a regular favourite, but some of the English sparkling wines are world class.

Morrisons seems to be the place to go: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/nov/24/english-sparkling-wine-tops-which-taste-test-of-non-champagne-fizz

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't buy fizz often enough to have a regular favourite, but some of the English sparkling wines are world class.

Morrisons seems to be the place to go: https://www.theguardian.com/food/2018/nov/24/english-sparkling-wine-tops-which-taste-test-of-non-champagne-fizz

I’m a big believer in English sparkling wine and would strongly recommend trying what is on offer.

There’s a growing range and we benefit from certain parts of the country sharing a similar type of subsoil composition as the Champagne region in France.

Although £25-£35 per bottle of English sparkling wine might seem pricey compared to say Prosecco or Cava, you are essentially picking up a vintage bottle of wine made in the champagne method which would be starting at least at £50-£60 if it were French produced.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

anyone fancy recommending some champagne/other sparkling wine?

Whenever I think about this I go straight to Blanquette de Limoux tends to be cheaper, made with a better tasting grape and doesn't smell like cat's pee!

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m a big believer in English sparkling wine and would strongly recommend trying what is on offer.

There’s a growing range and we benefit from certain parts of the country sharing a similar type of subsoil composition as the Champagne region in France.

Although £25-£35 per bottle of English sparkling wine might seem pricey compared to say Prosecco or Cava, you are essentially picking up a vintage bottle of wine made in the champagne method which would be starting at least at £50-£60 if it were French produced.

Southern England shares the geology of the Champagne region, just as Western Croatia shares the geology of Tuscany. They can't use the prestigious name, but they can make the same sort of wine.

On 11/23/2018 at 8:19 PM, Futtocks said:

I came across the programme a few years back, watched a short segment and switched over, 'professionals' can only describe the fact they are employed/paid for what they are doing because from what little I did see they were lacking in some pretty basic skills/knowledge.

The last cooking programme I watched was Raymond Blanc's 'kitchen Secrets'.but generally I wouldn't even't be bothered with most of the garbage that's been knocked out on TV over the years, it's insulting and cringeworthy.

On 11/25/2018 at 9:04 PM, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I came across the programme a few years back, watched a short segment and switched over, 'professionals' can only describe the fact they are employed/paid for what they are doing because from what little I did see they were lacking in some pretty basic skills/knowledge.

The last cooking programme I watched was Raymond Blanc's 'kitchen Secrets'.but generally I wouldn't even't be bothered with most of the garbage that's been knocked out on TV over the years, it's insulting and cringeworthy.

The first ever episode was in November 2018. Whatever you were watching, it wasn't that programme.

XO Sauce - blimey! Bought a jar today from the oriental supermarket, and used it in a pork rib dish.

Blimmin' fabulous!

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The first ever episode was in November 2018. Whatever you were watching, it wasn't that programme.

Kitchen Secrets started back in 2010, you must have missed the first 7.5 years ...

Capture.JPG

Edited by Denton Rovers RLFC

31 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Kitchen Secrets started back in 2010, you must have missed the first 7.5 years ...

Capture.JPG

You didn't make that claim about 'Kitchen Secrets', though. You made it about 'The Final Table'.

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You didn't make that claim about 'Kitchen Secrets', though. You made it about 'The Final Table'.

No I didn't. Reread what I said, I'm clearly referring to the UK prog masterchef the 'professionals', the one that I state isn't very 'professional' hence my criticism and in agreement with the person I quoted.

What I said isn't ambiguous, it's obvious what programme I'm referring to.

1 minute ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

No I didn't. Reread what I said, I'm clearly referring to the UK prog masterchef the 'professionals', the one that I state isn't very 'professional' hence my criticism and in agreement with the person I quoted. 

What I said isn't ambiguous, it's obvious what programme I'm referring to.

It is ambiguous, as it was responding to my post about 'The Final Table', and you did not specify which programme you were talking about. You used the exact words "I came across the programme a few years back", so you didn't name the programme you were criticising. You then made a post about when 'Kitchen Secrets' was first broadcast, which further muddied the waters.

However, I have to agree with you about the lack of professionalism from some of the 'Masterchef' contenders in the early rounds. The ones who go to the final couple of weeks are usually pretty impressive, though.

I took today off work, as I had a delivery arriving. I could have got it delivered to work, but it was a case of wine, and I didn't fancy lugging something that heavy home.

Anyhoo, with the delivery stashed, I went to Borough Market after the NRL All-Stars games were over and had the first proper scran-splurge since I re-entered the world of work. Lots of delicious things went into the bag, including a morcilla (Spanish black pudding) paté, a wild rabbit, a couple of very stinky cheeses, some smoked eel, iberico bellota ham, black garlic, dressed crab and a game pie.

What with all that and the wine, I think I've got the weekend sorted.