The TV Thread

54 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I try never to watch telly programmes that have adverts in .They’re so annoying and on sky channels endless . Record them , or watch on catch up . Or wait till about 15 minutes in then can FF them .If it’s unavoidable during a sports prog or something knock onto another channel or go and do summat else for a few minutes .

Also , on a diversion here , I’ve stopped watching the news in recent times . I use to watch the news channels a fair bit but they were annoying me so much I ignore them now and the news in general . I feel a lot better for it , I don’t know what’s going on as much but heh they’re you go , it was all doomy anyway 

My tactics also, if I can.

My follow-on point is that, if I tune in to a BBC programme slightly early or I  watch two programmes in a row, the internal advertising and similar filler fluff is now as irritating as commercial tv ad breaks. Muting the BBC between programmes is something I’d never thought I’d have to do.

17 hours ago, JCO said:

My tactics also, if I can.

My follow-on point is that, if I tune in to a BBC programme slightly early or I  watch two programmes in a row, the internal advertising and similar filler fluff is now as irritating as commercial tv ad breaks. Muting the BBC between programmes is something I’d never thought I’d have to do.

...yep , and previewing a prog that is just about to start ?. BBC 1 idents are bloody awfull yet BBC2 are always innovative and clever , winning awards for some. It has been this way for years , shirley they do not have TWO different companies producing idents , or is this just another '' we have all the license fees in the bank and will spend it on owt we want ''.

3 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

...yep , and previewing a prog that is just about to start ?. BBC 1 idents are bloody awfull yet BBC2 are always innovative and clever , winning awards for some. It has been this way for years , shirley they do not have TWO different companies producing idents , or is this just another '' we have all the license fees in the bank and will spend it on owt we want ''.

The BBC 2 ones were done by a bunch of different animators as part of a competition.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know what’s going on as much but heh they’re you go , it was all doomy anyway 

Just listen to a single news catch up on the World Service per day. Seriously, it's better than any number of alternatives.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve stopped watching the news in recent times . I use to watch the news channels a fair bit but they were annoying me so much I ignore them now and the news in general . I feel a lot better for it , I don’t know what’s going on as much but heh they’re you go , it was all doomy anyway 

I've also discovered ignorance is bliss 😀

• Like 1
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

On 31/01/2021 at 22:33, Futtocks said:

Email TPTV - they have an ever-growing list of requests, but the stumbling block is always licencing. If Champion the Wonder Horse is easy to get the rights to, it could get shown some time soon. That they've got Zorro, Flash Gordon etc. suggests that old serials may be do-able.

Just going back to this as champion the wonder horse is actually on now. I’d like to claim it was me emailing them but I just think their main man must be a member on here. Either way series record is set. 

My TV went on the fritz this morning, so I have had to get the old, non-HD, non-Smart, small-screen set out of storage. :kolobok_mad:

Thankfully, the old one still works, after several years of neglect, and it will show HD from an external source. Lots of unplugging and plugging later, I am back in business.

Very glad that it didn't happen just before yesterday's CC ties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/04/2021 at 13:38, Futtocks said:

I've heard things about the sequel and why a lot of people don't like it, so I'm staying clear. The first was a whole lot of fun, and maybe the franchise can be revived if they make a third one as clever and fun as the original.

I'm a bit late but the third is already made, a prequel called The King's Man, due out this year (probably delayed from last year).

The first was really good, the second was naff.

digital tv has certainly been everything it set out to be - adverts adverts averts padded out by the same garbage on a loop day in day out week in week out 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

30 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

Inside no 9 trailer is available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/mWw7XiHdjJU

The link won't automatically show the video for some reason.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I watch little TV other than factual stuff, docs, natural world stuff and sport....

I've never seen line of duty.... I felt like the only one in the universe who hasn't watched it.

My mam joins you ...  don’t get her started on yorkshire farm and antiques roadshow though she’ll talk your ear off 

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

The memsahib loves Yorkshire farm. Owd Clive did well there didn't he?😍

He sure did . Unsurprisingly he looks worn out . I must admit I find it rather compelling viewing 

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 11:06, graveyard johnny said:

digital tv has certainly been everything it set out to be - adverts adverts averts padded out by the same garbage on a loop day in day out week in week out 

Despite there being about 130 Freeview channels available to me at last scan, what do I actually watch? 10 channels at most, and many of those sparingly (some for just one particular programme a week).

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I watch little TV other than factual stuff, docs, natural world stuff and sport....

I've never seen line of duty.... I felt like the only one in the universe who hasn't watched it.

i have watched bits of it - found it boring

18 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

Inside no 9 trailer is available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/mWw7XiHdjJU

The link won't automatically show the video for some reason.

one of the few things worth watching these days- mainly due to shearsmith and pembertons sheer genius 

On 21/04/2021 at 17:23, graveyard johnny said:

one of the few things worth watching these days- mainly due to shearsmith and pembertons sheer genius 

Some reading material: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/apr/24/inside-no-9-bbc-steve-pemberton-reece-shearsmith-inspirations 

Ralph Waldo Emerson