we always make sure we catch the first 5 mins of the chase so we can do our customary 

"WHAT?-he's only 48?

"NEVER!"- she says she's only 50!

"CHUFF!"- that bloke in the blue shirt said he was only 41!

etc etc 

• Haha 1

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watched the final episode of Years and Years tonight. Then straight away watched the news. I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't the same programme. 

Straight outta compote 

Edited for accuracy 

Posted Images

On 14/02/2021 at 07:48, JohnM said:

Or even how they qualify (for quiz shows). Surely there has to be some contestant selection criteria. 

Couple of good ones on yesterday. On Tipping Point the question was " What genre of books did John Le Carre write? Were they about Farming, Spying or Sailing?"

Contestant, "Well I've never heard of him, but  he sounds posh, so I'll guess at Spies."

And on Richard Osman's House of Games, question "Which US state is the Devils Tower in, that featured in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"

Contestant "Never heard of Devils Tower or that Close Encounters thing... is it a film or a book or something?"

1 hour ago, Jasper said:

Couple of good ones on yesterday. On Tipping Point the question was " What genre of books did John Le Carre write? Were they about Farming, Spying or Sailing?"

Contestant, "Well I've never heard of him, but  he sounds posh, so I'll guess at Spies."

And on Richard Osman's House of Games, question "Which US state is the Devils Tower in, that featured in Close Encounters of the Third Kind?"

Contestant "Never heard of Devils Tower or that Close Encounters thing... is it a film or a book or something?"

Only Connect had a team last night that had never heard of the film Barbarella

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Only Connect had a team last night that had never heard of the film Barbarella

they couldn't identify johnny cash on university challege- saddos 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

My God I wanted to punch that cocky little s**t! Blonde captain with glasses, forgot what uni it was. 

village of the damned university i think

Some of the stupidest people I’ve met were at university . Folk often think it automatically means you’re dead clever but a lot of times they know a lot about a little but nowt about general stuff

Something that really bugs me on quiz shows and particularly pointless these days is how they offer extra info on top of the question. Like today on pointless the question was please and thank you in different languages, they gave you the words but then the first initial of the language, very unnecessary, made it far too easy. The question after, children's books set in London, gave a description of the book but then the author and initials of the title, far too easy and somehow, even with all this info, some of the 100 people they ask still can't get the answers. The British public are getting generally thicker. 

I'm watching Indoor Athletics on the iPlayer, and the venue's mascot is a piece of toast!

You don't believe me?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

its come down to watching repeats of "one foot in the grave" on a saturday night- richard wilson was only 54 in the first series! "i don't believe it"

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Watching Lupin on Netflix. Enjoying it so much I spent a whole 99p on Kindle to buy the collection of novels. 

I just put that on my watchlist, but haven't started it yet. What are the books like?

My only experience of the Lupin character is an early Hayao Miyazaki anime, which is pretty good fun.

Edited by Futtocks

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What are the books like?

I've only read the first few chapters of the first book but I'm enjoying it. They seem to be written so younger readers can enjoy them too but I'm enjoying getting back in touch with my younger self. 😀

2014 Challenged Cup Winner
10 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Watching Lupin on Netflix. Enjoying it so much I spent a whole 99p on Kindle to buy the collection of novels. 

It's tremendous fun, isn't it?

Like if they made Sherlock but had a clue what they were going to do with all the narrative arcs they kept setting up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Is the full Lupin series now available?  I was enjoying the first episodes.

Netflix are promising to email me when 'part two' is available. So I think it's still the first five.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Deutschland 89 starts this Friday on More 4. The final  follow up to Deutschland 83 , which was excellent, and Deutschland 86 , which was ok but spread the story a bit too thinly over the episodes. 

Yep, really looking forward to it, Deutschland 83 is one of my favourite series of all time. Absolutely brilliant. Agree 86 wasn't quite as good but still very enjoyable. 👍

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I just put that on my watchlist, but haven't started it yet. What are the books like?

My only experience of the Lupin character is an early Hayao Miyazaki anime, which is pretty good fun.

Just started episode 1 about 10 minutes ago. I think this one's worth following for the whole series. There's a charm and light-footed sense of fun that you don't see all that often in this era of over-padded series of gruff, over-acted earnestness.

I caught twenty minutes of an episode of The Avengers yesterday morning, I hadn't realised quite how surreal the later series were. Contract killers dressed as clowns killing people with custard pies laced with glue to suffocate their victims?