Football

Sunderland employed just eight managers from 1888 to 1972, and then onwards to 2013 it came to 28.

It would be interesting to see a league table of which clubs have got through the most managers in the last 50 years. Soccer's not really my thing but I always get the impression that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to get through managers at a rate of knots. I would guess Ferguson must be the longest serving premiership manager in recent times.

It would be interesting to see a league table of which clubs have got through the most managers in the last 50 years. Soccer's not really my thing but I always get the impression that Newcastle and Sunderland seem to get through managers at a rate of knots. I would guess Ferguson must be the longest serving premiership manager in recent times.

Queens Park Rangers have gone through quite a few managers over recent years.

West Ham have only had 14 managers, and the first one lasted for 30 years.  He did however commit suicide within months of his sacking due in part to rumours he was syphoning off funds from the club and the fact he was a massive alcoholic, but that was fine in the good old days, you'd probably not get away with it in these modern times.

Brian Clough was Nottingham Forest's 8th manager.

Since he left in 1993, they have had 14!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Interesting Major League Soccer TV rating in the NY Times .. I thought it was more popular..

Put into context, the America’s Cup races attracted more viewers for NBC Sports Group than for Major League Soccer games (111,000) but fewer than it received for its live Tour de France coverage (287,000) or its Formula One races (203,000 to date).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/sports/nbc-gets-far-more-than-it-expected-from-cup.html?_r=0

Interesting Major League Soccer TV rating in the NY Times .. I thought it was more popular..

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/sports/nbc-gets-far-more-than-it-expected-from-cup.html?_r=0

I believe that attendance figures are doing well but the big soccer audience is for the English Premier League - and that the ratings etc place it above NHL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

As an Aston Villa fan, I would like to offer a (Gloating) apology if any Man City fans are reading this thread today, not really.

Although you can console yourselves with the thought that the first Villa goal ight have been borderline offside, and the third goal was a route one kick from our Keeper to the City one, that flummoxed the City defence who are more usual to a more subtle attack and were confused.

However, we still won 3-2

To date I have contacted several football fanzines, local press, football forum, supporters federation, as well as sorting out some posters for local shops, and using  facebook in order to promote my book. If anyone can be of further assistance in any other way then it would be most appreciated. Although the margins for profit on e-books is small, I am hoping to raise money for Armed Services charity SSAFA and a local junior team I watch on Saturdays. 

Lewes will probably bring about half of that.  CSP got around 80 per game in the Spartan South Midlands and now they've been promoted they still get around 80 per game.  They got around 80 for their last Cup match against the Met Police.

Anyway, in the end Lewes strolled to a 1-0 win.  They scored in the third minute and with a bit of luck would have added several more.  Properly organised.

The crowd was somehow announced as 153.  The only way I can think they can have got this figure is if they added all the Season Ticket holders to the people who were in the ground.  And then added another 20 or so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ah, I see; so he is the victim in all this... what a total and utter steaming pile of Inverdale*. :rolleyes:

*see? you can bypass the sweary filter! :P

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wow! Now that's a strike!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just like Hot Shot-Hamish

:biggrin: I was thinking more of one of Bobby Charlton's thunderbolts, but yes, I think you nailed it!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fancy the Queen allowing her manicured lawns to be used for a football match, and a great occasion for the players and match officials.

Yes it's so unlike the Royal Family to get involved in positive PR stories.  Saying that, the Germans have a strong football tradition.

Edited by Larry the Leit

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

How some clubs battle on heaven knows! Up in Scotland, Gretna F.C. rose to the giddy heights of the Premiership on the back of being bankrolled, only then to freefall into oblivion. 

I watch a junior under elevens  side on Saturdays and get real enjoyment. Long may the hard work by dedicated people live on, although some clubs inevitably will fold.