Football

One of the Coventry City companies...apparently the structure is somewhat complicated.

It was explained to me a while ago. Bent as a nine bob note.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There is a team in the Polish Football league called Podbeskidzie Bielsko-Biala, I hope they never play an English side & Ray French is chosen to commentate!

The 3 rows in front of him would need a towel & a warm shower

James Alexander Gordon's replacement as reader of the Football scores? It's Charlotte Green!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

James Alexander Gordon's replacement as reader of the Football scores? It's Charlotte Green!

My word! Lord Reith and the guy who started Sports Report (Angus somebody?) will be spinning in their graves!

Oh well. There's always the FA Cup for the Bradford City fans.

The FA Cup starts on August 16th.  Worksop Parramore vs AFC Blackpool is the first listed fixture in the Extra Preliminary Round.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The FA Cup starts on August 16th.  Worksop Parramore vs AFC Blackpool is the first listed fixture in the Extra Preliminary Round.

I'm off to AFC Emley v Wigan Robin Park on the 18th in the Extra Preliminery Round, moved from Saturday the 17th due to a clash with Emley Cricket Club, unknown at this stage if it was shared facilities or playing resources that caused the issue!

Watched Mainz 05 vs VFB Stuttgart and FC Schalke 04 vs SV Hamburg on BT Sports. The Bundesliga is great! First time since the 90's I've enjoyed a football match (well 2 actually) that didn't involve either Swindon Town or my lad.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Watched Mainz 05 vs VFB Stuttgart and FC Schalke 04 vs SV Hamburg on BT Sports. The Bundesliga is great! First time since the 90's I've enjoyed a football match (well 2 actually) that didn't involve either Swindon Town or my lad.

I've been a very casual Werder Bremen fan since I went there on a German exchange and the boys in green did the decent thing and won the Cup-Winners Cup - so it was nice to be flicking between the channels on the weekend just in time to see them score a rather splendid goal against the run of play against Braunshweig.

Also on Saturday for the first time in a very long time I actually made it to a game and stayed for the whole time.  Chalfont Wasps kicked off their Hellenic League season against Maidenhead United Reserves.  One of those games that came close to having pretty much everything - although two late goals made it look easier than it was.  Maidenhead winning 3-1.

Here's a photie:

9486774663_a22b71cfa4_z.jpg

The rest are here.

The FA's new "respect" campaign.  Very good :D

I think that referees in all sports should be given teddy bears to hand out to players who lose theirs on the field.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I followed a  bus in Leeds today with a poster on the back that read "let's forget about the past and be United"  it also had the LUFC logo on it. Presumably someone somewhere feels they need to apologise!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Don't usually watch a lot of football but I really enjoyed to others friendly against Scotland. Bit more niggle than most friendlies.

The good thing was that the ref was far more tolerant than a non-UK ref usually is.  He clearly did his research and understood that the game would have more bite than the typical international friendly.

Quite enjoyable for a football match...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The good thing was that the ref was far more tolerant than a non-UK ref usually is.  He clearly did his research and understood that the game would have more bite than the typical international friendly.

Quite enjoyable for a football match...

It was enjoyable (apart from the obvious :) ) - now for the eternal problem of getting Scotland to show that much commitment and belief in a world cup or Euro qualification match, in some remote eastern European country, on a wet Wednesday in February!

Interesting to see that Darren Bent has gone to Fulham on loan when, according to the Times, his first preference was Newcastle, who also wanted him.

Joe Kinnear, Newcastle's Director of Football,  allegedly asked him to hang on until the end of the transfer window in the hope that the price would drop ( presumably that would also allow the club to meet Bent's salary demands.)

Newcastle are  looking for two new strikers for the season. They have reportedly already signed one ...  Loic Remy ... but he is out for up to a month with injury.

Alan Pardew must be fuming because the club is seemingly more interested in saving £2million than doing everything possible to win its first four or five games.

Come the back end of September, the club could be flailing around trying to get a striker who is available, rather than one that the manager wants.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

With regards to England I have been on about home nations over a two year period for "friendlies" for some time. To give us that bit of competitve practise as opposed to playing Hungary, Slovenia etc. Litter that with games against the continents best, Germany, France, Ghana, Brazil.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah