Football

22 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Great advertising. 

Looking at buying a ticket now.

Really enjoyed the game but strange that a 6-0 victory seems like a defeat,about 16000 in hampden with around 3000 England, easy to get to from Glasgow central but shocking return waiting an hour for the train back 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Route66 said:

Really enjoyed the game but strange that a 6-0 victory seems like a defeat,about 16000 in hampden with around 3000 England, easy to get to from Glasgow central but shocking return waiting an hour for the train back 

it should have been about 300 nil.

When buying the tickets, given the full England allocation and 3 stands not available, i thought it was going to be more full, disappointed in the crowd as a result. A bit nippy mind.

Glasgow Central is one of the bleakest places in the UK. I bet you were glad of the delay.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

18 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

it should have been about 300 nil.

When buying the tickets, given the full England allocation and 3 stands not available, i thought it was going to be more full, disappointed in the crowd as a result. A bit nippy mind.

Glasgow Central is one of the bleakest places in the UK. I bet you were glad of the delay.

Scotland were always going to lose - and likely heavily - so even trying to hype it as a game against the Auld Enemy was never going to work. They could probably do with not playing at Hampden to be honest.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

Agree, but it'd have to be Aberdeen i suppose and then no one else can really go.

Hearts and Hibs grounds are the right size and accessible 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

True, but is it a bit controversial to choose one over the other for a Scotland game on some religious grounds?

I’m speculating and do not know.

Hopefully not.

Edit:  Just checked and they have played recently at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Tyncastle and Easter Road.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

29 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

True, but is it a bit controversial to choose one over the other for a Scotland game on some religious grounds?

I’m speculating and do not know.

Hopefully not.

Edit:  Just checked and they have played recently at Ibrox, Celtic Park, Tyncastle and Easter Road.

I don’t think anyone would have a problem. Hampden is just awful when empty.

43 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It'd be a hard push to play at 1 and not t'other

It's different gravy up here re mens football and it's slowly becoming more of a thing in Women's football, too.

Sadly.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

It'd be a hard push to play at 1 and not t'other

It's different gravy up here re mens football and it's slowly becoming more of a thing in Women's football, too.

Sadly.

I think you can *just* get past it but I do take your point.

Workington Town on a Wednesday it is then.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I think you can *just* get past it but I do take your point.

Workington Town on a Wednesday it is then.

Couldn't agree more - It has to start somewhere.

St Mirren would have been perfect last night, but maybe a stretch for non Weegies to get to. 2 trains and all that.

• Like 1

Well done to Mary Earps on winning SPOTY. It was coin toss between her and Broad for me but, in the end, my online vote went her way.

• Like 2

Sympathy for Steve Cooper getting sacked at Forest. He did an amazing job getting promotion then keeping them in the Premier League. However one win in 13 games really isn't good enough considering the talent they have.

Nuno Espirito Santo is back...not exactly inspiring if I was a Forest fan.

Edited by HawkMan

This is how you both announce the attendance and express concern about refereeing standards, both whilst avoiding a charge from the local FA.

That's Division 9 football (assuming Premier is Division 1).

Another despatch from Division 9 as 384 turn up to watch the Boxing Day game between Little Common and Bexhill United. The visitors coming back from 3-1 down to equalise from a free kick deep into second half injury time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Retford United took the honours in the Retford derby today, beating Retford FC 1-4 in front of 1,247 fans. 10th division football at its finest. 

My lot (Beverley Town) meanwhile made short work of Selby Town, beating them 0-2 at their place. 

A Division 10 game in Kent on the 23rd got 1,100. The team involved - Whitstable - are saying it's their highest crowd in at least 47 years. They don't have proper records after then but nothing else is even close.

And I do like it when clubs use my photos in the spirit in which they are taken (and also when they acknowledge)

On 26/11/2023 at 17:48, Route66 said:

Had a little wander up to Carlisle yesterday to witness the start of the new ownership, the American Piatek family, not the most inspiring 1-1 draw but a crowd of 10,500 and an extremely busy fanzone ,the yanks with their 'own the north' tagline may just be about to start something for the county 

I went up to that game, too. BP was buzzing. 

Yesterday, we fell to the foot of L1, five point from safety, after a draw at Fleetwood.

But despite that, I'm confident we'll stay up as the new owners are making funding available to strengthen.  The club broke its record signing fee last week in picking up Harrogate's Luke Armstrong. 

Good days ahead!

• Like 2