Football

22 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Are York making a concerted effort to get back in the Football League then.

We beat champs Chesterfield today  , if the teenage Chairman gives Hinshelwood a go next season then maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

We beat champs Chesterfield today  , if the teenage Chairman gives Hinshelwood a go next season then maybe.

Yeah, I saw that, that was a good result, although it was a good time to play Chesterfield. Hopefully they can challenge for promotion next season.

• Like 1

Is the unthinkable a few weeks back going to happen? Leicester miss out on promotion? What has happened,  they were walking away with the title,  now collapse. What an amazing job McKenna is doing at Ipswich. When was the last time a team got promoted from L1 and Championship in consecutive seasons?

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Is the unthinkable a few weeks back going to happen? Leicester miss out on promotion? What has happened,  they were walking away with the title,  now collapse. What an amazing job McKenna is doing at Ipswich. When was the last time a team got promoted from L1 and Championship in consecutive seasons?

Norwich?.

16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I had a wander down Beverley Town Reserves v Reckitts in the Humber Premier League this afternoon with about 40 other diehards, and we were subjected to a horrendous display which saw the Beavers go down 1-5. 

One of my most memorable football matches (outside of seeing Liverpool do the double in 1986 at Wembley) was going to see Sheffield Utd reserves versus Blackpool reserves at Bramall Lane in the late 1990s.

I was a student at the time and one of my mates was best friends with Brett Ormerod (playing for Blackpool reserves) who later went on to play for Southampton in 2003 FA Cup final versus Arsenal.

That night against Sheffield Utd reserves he scored a goal and we ran to the front of the main stand and Ormerod ran over to celebrate with us haha!

Great times!

• Like 1

I won't be at this one but well done to Eastbourne Town (Division 9) for this:

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

My team, Emley, will be presented with the Northern Counties East League Premier Division title on Saturday when they host the "Huddersfield derby" against Golcar United, it's one thing winning the league with games to spare, it's even better when the trophy presentation is against the local rivals 🙂 

RK0aTHh.jpg

• Like 3

The Mid Sussex Football League Premier (Division 11) is a 14 team, 26 game division.

We're into April and because of the wetness of the winter, 7 teams could still win the title, including one who somehow have to fit in 11 games between now and the end of the year.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Mid Sussex Football League Premier (Division 11) is a 14 team, 26 game division.

We're into April and because of the wetness of the winter, 7 teams could still win the title, including one who somehow have to fit in 11 games between now and the end of the year.

Can they extend the season or is that a big no no. Also I see they have a few teams home and away neutral ground double points?. 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Can they extend the season or is that a big no no.

It's league committees and local FAs so have a guess at how accommodating they are likely to be.

I don't think double point games is likely but I have, in other leagues, seen one club surrender home advantage and they play a double header with a long-ish gap in the middle. The second game normally finishes 9-8 or something like that.

• Thanks 1

Harry Kane was built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Nothing else makes any sense at this point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watching a bit of Kosovo v Wales women and it highlighted something I truly admire and respect about football, something I think makes the game absolutely beautiful to follow, and that is that at any level of football, at any game, anywhere in the world you are almost certain to see travelling fans; there was a group of about a dozen Wales fans behind the Kosovo goal even when there were hardly any other fans in the ground. These guys are so passionate about football, they've travelled to Kosovo to watch their women play. I really admire and respect that about football. 

On 05/04/2024 at 20:34, gingerjon said:

Excellent stuff. Great array of club badges as well. 

Left to right we've got Oxted with a big football in the middle, which I always find very funny for a football club to use. Eastbourne, Balcombe and Ringmer (partially shown I had to look it up) also guilty.

Eastbourne it's giving Vauxhall logo vibes, Balcombe reminds me of silent film.

Reigate it's fine, they didn't get the circle/oval memo and went for a shield, it's boring but they're owning it. I'd moderate the gold to a yellow you've won nothing of note. 

Ringmer is an absolute disgrace of a badge it's got nothing of the place it's a few colours and a literal football.

Westfield is very Panathinaikos via Oak Furniture Land. I like it.

Lindfield I really like, a lot of character, I'd like if they had a bit more back story than "we're on a river with swans" but even then it's probably the pick of the bunch. 

• Like 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

On 05/04/2024 at 10:07, meast said:

My team, Emley, will be presented with the Northern Counties East League Premier Division title on Saturday when they host the "Huddersfield derby" against Golcar United, it's one thing winning the league with games to spare, it's even better when the trophy presentation is against the local rivals 🙂 

RK0aTHh.jpg

qkYQ1bVl.jpg

30VavyBl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Giving their performance of the season, Beverley Town beat close rivals for the title, Parkgate, 2-1 last night and secured at least a playoff place now. We're top with a couple of games in hand on Wakefield in second and a much easier run in than others also chasing the title. 

Yesterday's game was our last home game of the season and with a crowd of 345, it meant our average for the season is over 300, which for a division 10 team is fantastic! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Liverpool are on the verge of imploding this season… 

And if Arsenal lose as well as Liverpool  then that's City's title. 

10 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I never thought in my life I'd be cheering for Liverpool but I hope to God they can pull this back. I just don't want Man City to win the title again! 

City will win every game. Arsenal and Liverpool need to do the same.