Sign in to follow this  
slowdive

Ed Miliband

we don't live in 'many other countries' we live here. If something is bad, the fact that it is so much worse elsewhere is no defence of it.

But we should be able to learn from other countries, particularly our nearest neighbours.

In France it is virtually impossible to terminate an employment contract, and Hollande raised the top rate of tax to 75%.

The result is massive youth unemployment and the flight of the wealthy out of France, with a lack of investment and economic stagnation as a result.

All too often politicians' efforts to equalise the wealth end up equalising poverty.

The problem with Miliband's latest speech is that it doesn't seem to recognise aspiration, while characterising British society as being pretty bloody awful. I don't see that as a strong card to play.

But we should be able to learn from other countries, particularly our nearest neighbours.

In France it is virtually impossible to terminate an employment contract, and Hollande raised the top rate of tax to 75%.

The result is massive youth unemployment and the flight of the wealthy out of France, with a lack of investment and economic stagnation as a result.

All too often politicians' efforts to equalise the wealth end up equalising poverty.

The problem with Miliband's latest speech is that it doesn't seem to recognise aspiration, while characterising British society as being pretty bloody awful. I don't see that as a strong card to play.

I agree with your first comment: but because things are worse in other countries isn't a justification for them being bad here.

It isn't a question of equalisation rather equitability. 

I was uninspired by Milliband's speech also.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Looks like Wallace, not got the sense of Gromit.

yet another deeply considered, eloquent and insightful contribution. I am in awe.

Keeping it local

On his speech yesterday; it's one thing talking about inequality in pay, it's completely different in doing something about it. I haven't seen the whole speech but did he outline any sort of plan of what Labour would do to address this. Just upping the top rate of tax is not the answer on it's own. Personally I'd like to see more profit reinvested in companies rather than be doled out to the executives and shareholders, the Germans (yes them again) seem to have a much better model for running businesses and have a name, which escapes me right now, for this type of business reinvestment. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

On his speech yesterday; it's one thing talking about inequality in pay, it's completely different in doing something about it. I haven't seen the whole speech but did he outline any sort of plan of what Labour would do to address this. Just upping the top rate of tax is not the answer on it's own. Personally I'd like to see more profit reinvested in companies rather than be doled out to the executives and shareholders, the Germans (yes them again) seem to have a much better model for running businesses and have a name, which escapes me right now, for this type of business reinvestment. 

absolutely, because; 'we should be willing to learn from other countries, particularly our neighbours'.

Keeping it local

I come from a family of staunch labour voters but the party just seems so unattractive with ed milliband at the helm.....he just seems like such a weasel, I know that sounds shallow but there it is...

1. The Labour leader called it (Sports Direct)  a "terrible place to work" and pledged to ban "the exploitation" of such contracts.

2. Freedom of Information inquiries show that in 2013, Derby Council employed 1,333 people on the contracts, Gateshead 1,285 and Bury 3,418. 

Four legs good - two legs bad

Ed is currently on 'The Agenda', a lighter weight question time on ITV.  He's being grilled by Myleene Klass....

He's not exactly landing knock out blows....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Ed is currently on 'The Agenda', a lighter weight question time on ITV.  He's being grilled by Myleene Klass....

He's not exactly landing knock out blows....

He's been put in a really ridiculous position by his advisors - once again showing the lack of nous in the Labour hierarchy - by going on that show. Myleene Klaas is a very attractive woman but she's not exactly a political/broadcasting heavyweight. If Miliband takes her apart then he looks like a bully taking on a lightweight, if he plays nicely then he looks weak. He should never have been on that show, the people behind him are useless.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

He's been put in a really ridiculous position by his advisors - once again showing the lack of nous in the Labour hierarchy - by going on that show. Myleene Klaas is a very attractive woman but she's not exactly a political/broadcasting heavyweight. If Miliband takes her apart then he looks like a bully taking on a lightweight, if he plays nicely then he looks weak. He should never have been on that show, the people behind him are useless.

She thought the massion tax was wrong (millionaire against massion tax shocker) but he looked weak in replying. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I agree he seems badly advised, with this proviso: I think you may be underestimating Klass somewhat. She is far from daft and in any case, if Miliband can't cope with her, how is he going to manage if he ever became PM?

I agree he seems badly advised, with this proviso: I think you may be underestimating Klass somewhat. She is far from daft and in any case, if Miliband can't cope with her, how is he going to manage if he ever became PM?

That was my main thought.  I disagree with Klass on some of her points (a garage can cost 2 million in london...) but he should be able to cope and strongly reply.

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

Even The Guardian had it. see http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/20/tweet-emily-thornberry-labour-rochester-byelection-ukip-tories

Seems she lives ins a £2,000,000 -plus  house in Islington. There's a good labour role model

During the course of a campaign run by Thornberry on the subject of social housing, the Islington Tribune, a local newspaper, discovered that her husband had bought ex-social housing stock for over half a million pounds and receives rental income from the property. It also emerged that the new residents are Labour Party activists

In April 2005 it emerged that Thornberry had sent her son to the selective Dame Alice Owen's School fourteen miles away from her home and outside her constituency

Edited by JohnM

I couldn't give a monkeys.

Anyway, he wouuldn't make anything of them until he'd consulted the Labour Party focus group with special responsibility for policies relating to the working class.

Obviously, all its members went to public schools and Oxbridge.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Emily Thornberry has resigned from the shadow cabinet.

Shows how fragile they are if something like this can topple a shadow cabinet member.

Shows how fragile they are if something like this can topple a shadow cabinet member.

Yet you can lie about not reorganising the NHS or on one of your primary manifesto pledges and you can bat it off as being "realistic".

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Just looks weak. 

He can only cope with debates, not conversational arguments.

isn't that what a debate is?

Keeping it local

Big story tomorrow should be Tories (likely) defeat.  Now Labour just handed out some get of jail cards.

Labour hypocrisy is actually very robust...or quite a few would have resigned.

Yet you can lie about not reorganising the NHS or on one of your primary manifesto pledges and you can bat it off as being "realistic".

" the government claimed to have ended the health service's financial worries"

see here

Doesn't look good for Labour at the moment. Tbh I didn't think the tweet was that bad, although in hindsight ill advised. We all poke fun at people with poor taste and it's a bit of a stretch to equate a raised eyebrow at a few St George's flags and a white **** van with an attack on the working class. Edited by Severus

Fides invicta triumphat