Book thread: what are you reading?

3 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Half of the people on here can't read or write

And the other half shouldn't. :kolobok_biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Half way through the third book in the "Century" trilogy by Ken Follett.Second time reading the almost 3,000 pages but I am enjoying it as much as the first.

After the Sharpe novels I have the Kingsbridge quartet and the Century trilogy of Ken Follett's pencilled in to read. Almost 7,000 pages, should take me a year or so. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

After the Sharpe novels I have the Kingsbridge quartet and the Century trilogy of Ken Follett's pencilled in to read. Almost 7,000 pages, should take me a year or so. 

I've read the Kingsbridge novels a couple of times over the years.I only remember 3,so I'll have to look into that.

45 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I've read the Kingsbridge novels a couple of times over the years.I only remember 3,so I'll have to look into that.

Yeah there was,

The Pillars of the Earth (1989)

World Without End (2007)

A Column of Fire (2017)

The Evening and the Morning (2020) (prequel to Pillars of the Earth) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah there was,

World Without End (2007)

A Column of Fire (2017)

Did'nt know about the 4th one you mention.Thanks for that ,I'll have a look for it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Exit Stage Left: The curious Afterlife of Pop Stars by Nick Duerden. Basically, potted biographies, plus interviews about what happens when you're not troubling the charts any more.
It is a mixed bag; some have settled down and accepted things, some are soldiering on at a lower level and many have espoused various fashionably "lite"! versions of mysticism and yoga. And some are still convinced that it was the world that got it wrong, not them.

For instance, quondam Prince wannabe Terence Trent d'Arby has changed his name (like Prince) and is self-releasing very lengthy albums with only himself as quality control (like Prince).

The author mostly manages to keep an objective distance between himself and his subjects, but not always. He can't help getting a little swoony over Lloyd Cole, for instance.

However, there's plenty to discover and enjoy.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2022 at 13:47, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yeah there was,

World Without End (2007)

A Column of Fire (2017)

I managed to get a copy from Amazon books(only £4.50) .A very enjoyable read.Thanks again for the info.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2022 at 08:39, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Already read it and the sequel set in 16th century Brugge. 

Thanks for saying 'Brugge', THG.  I have never understood the logic of the tendency in this country to use the city's French name, given its position in the heart of Flemish-speaking Belgium.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for saying 'Brugge', THG.  I have never understood the logic of the tendency in this country to use the city's French name, given its position in the heart of Flemish-speaking Belgium.

I agree. It's a bit of a Brugge, really.

• Haha 2

I have read “Ordeal By Hunger : The Story Of The Donner Party by George Stewart” it was a cracking read. I do find the story quite amazing and the hard graft & toil they went through. 
But i have bought another book on the Donner Party which is said to be even better “The Donner Party Chronicles : A Day Account Of The Doomed Wagon Train, 1846-1847” by Frank Mullen. So i will have to see if it’s as good or even better. 

23 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I have read “Ordeal By Hunger : The Story Of The Donner Party by George Stewart” it was a cracking read. I do find the story quite amazing and the hard graft & toil they went through. 
But i have bought another book on the Donner Party which is said to be even better “The Donner Party Chronicles : A Day Account Of The Doomed Wagon Train, 1846-1847” by Frank Mullen. So i will have to see if it’s as good or even better. 

I do love a Donner kebab! 🥙

• Haha 1

On 29/01/2021 at 13:17, Gerrumonside ref said:

Just ordered three books to try and chase away the lockdown blues:

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

The Mixer by Michael Cox

######, Yeah, Video Games by Daniel Hardcastle 

I didn’t expect to but I liked the Richard Osman one and the man who died twice the next in the series. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I do love a Donner kebab! 🥙

Ain't no party like a Donner party! 🥳

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 3 weeks later...

I just read Alan Garner's latest book Treacle Walker, which is nominated for this year's Booker Prize. It is a short but memorable book, coming from Garner's sense of magic being just a hair's breadth away from normal life. The dialogue is remarkable, as is the imagination. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I loved the Kem Follet novels quoted above. ( in fact Follet novels in general) Like HG I could not get enough of Sharpe and the naval series of Chris Durban, Julian Stockwin,David Donachie and of course Hornblower.

One of the authors that surprised me was Jeffrey Archer. I didn't want to like them but I did.

All Bernard Cornwells novels are good. I would also recommend Nelson DeMille's John Corey series.

I am now catching up on some Charles Dickens books ( I have a compendium of 10 books to read/ reread. I have just read Martin Chuzzlewitt and have almost finished a Tale of Two Cities. 

Disclaimer... when I say read quite a lot of the books quoted above I have listened to on Audible. I listen them everyday whilst driving around and when I am on my exercise bike..

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Re-read Sharpes enemy while on holiday in mallorca and left it as a present in the hotel international library. Just finished Irvine Welshs Long knives, absolutely fantastic, not everyone's cup of tea but the way he portrays the flaws in his   characters is spot on. Now onto another favourite writer of mine Stuart maconie and "the Nanny state made me', a real champion for a fairer society with a nostalgic look at our recent past