Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, in the end, as previously, Sky called out bluff. Fair enough business is business.

There is a difference here though. There was genuinely am alternative. Sky had to make sure the money was significantly higher than we could get elsewhere. You could argue we called their bluff - make us an offer we can't refuse or you could lose another sport. The facts suit either view.

I'm sure that could have been a factor. IMG didn't endear themselves to Sky, I understand, by rejecting their World Cup bid.

I have sympathy with IMG over the World Cup.

Hard to imagine now but the RFL's first job was to make sure that the World Cup did not lose money and IMG were a part of ensuring that. Next time we can look to maximise income from a position of knowledge and strength.

There is a difference here though. There was genuinely am alternative. Sky had to make sure the money was significantly higher than we could get elsewhere. You could argue we called their bluff - make us an offer we can't refuse or you could lose another sport. The facts suit either view.

I agree. Maybe it was a mutually advantageous deal.

are they? Or are they showing the play off games ( which everyone expected) and therefore only showing 2 currentxhchampionship clubs....both of whom have beenon sky in the cchallenge cup....

this is bad for the championship. ...no coverage on tv anymore....sad day

Before you can say it's a bad day for the Championship you have to believe that getting more money is worse than occasionally appearing on Premier Sports and getting no money. Hmmm, Money. No Money. Which is the better option?

ON A DIFFERENT TACK, THOUGHT IT MAY BE OF INTEREST THAT I HAVE JUST READ IN THE SCOTTISH PRESS THAT THE SFA HAVE JUST DONE A DEAL WITH SKY WORTH 56 M OVER 4 YEARS AND IT WAS DESCRIBED AS 'STUNNING'.

BEARING IN MIND TOTAL CROWDS, THE MASSIVELY BIGGER INTERNATIONAL PROFILE OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL COMPARED TO RUGBY LEAGUE AND THE SIZE OF THE TARTAN ARMY WE DON'T APPEAR TO HAVE DONE TOO BAD.

ON A DIFFERENT TACK, THOUGHT IT MAY BE OF INTEREST THAT I HAVE JUST READ IN THE SCOTTISH PRESS THAT THE SFA HAVE JUST DONE A DEAL WITH SKY WORTH 56 M OVER 4 YEARS AND IT WAS DESCRIBED AS 'STUNNING'.

BEARING IN MIND TOTAL CROWDS, THE MASSIVELY BIGGER INTERNATIONAL PROFILE OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL COMPARED TO RUGBY LEAGUE AND THE SIZE OF THE TARTAN ARMY WE DON'T APPEAR TO HAVE DONE TOO BAD.

That's just for Scottish internional friendlies at home and I think also the Scottish Cup. Plenty of other stuff for Scottish football to sell off.

(not saying the RL deal is guff by the way, it isn't!)

George Riley has written in his blog that Radio 5 Live will be covering more games than ever before plus podcasts and magazine shows.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/29408/george-rileys-superleaguecouk-blog

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Before you can say it's a bad day for the Championship you have to believe that getting more money is worse than occasionally appearing on Premier Sports and getting no money. Hmmm, Money. No Money. Which is the better option?

There's only one way to find out.....

FIGHT

more money for who?

Other than the current top 2, who else will get tv exposure? How much/coverage will be going to champ1??

On the money question, who offered more for the world cup? Sky....or bbc/premier. ....which was the better offer?

You see a lot of reference to the money which should always be the central issue. However, it also needs a look at the coverage not just in terms of matches but the magazine programmes which all need an overall and updating (modernising) as well as not completely disappearing during the off season! The market place is still there even when SL has finished the Grand Final! And related to all of this, when do those very programmes start, does anyone know? Be nice if Sky informed us with plenty of notice!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1. It is a clear endorsement of the new structures.

2. Its a Good deal and how anyone can seek to try and paint it any other way is beyond me.

1. No it's not, the deal has increased due to interest from other broadcasters but we do not know what that interest was, It appears that the interest didn't extend to anyone wanting to bid against SKY.

SKY bosses would be fools to swallow the "New Structures" when no money has been put to them because if the competition is loaded heavily in favour of SL clubs it will be a damp squib, which everyone has discussed and most agree on.

2. Nobody even knows what the deal is as Dave T. is sensibly pointing out. There is disparity of people's perception of the old deal which IIRC gave £90M over 5 years to distribute to clubs, yet SKY say that deal was markedly more. Derwent explains how SKY puff up the supposed value of these things.

Some of us on here are puffing up the deal

£200M over 5 years divide by 24 clubs = £1.66M a club over SL1 and SL2 or am I wishful thinking too that Swinton and Haven will be receiving that??

Maybe it only really equates to a 25% rise after inflation. Maybe it will all be swallowed up by raising the salary cap in SL to £2,000,000 and ensuring SL clubs get another £800K to meet it, and another £500K to properly run their academies and stay out of debt.

12 SL clubs x £2.5M a year = £30M a year??

I'm losing it again here. If it's a 7 year deal at £200M then that's less than £30M a year so maybe there's nowt left for the Championship clubs??

Pick a figure any figure, pick an argument any argument and mix and match??

more money for who?

Other than the current top 2, who else will get tv exposure? How much/coverage will be going to champ1??

On the money question, who offered more for the world cup? Sky....or bbc/premier. ....which was the better offer?

It's simple. Whatever figures are announced, the Championship clubs will be getting more money. Therefore its good for them.The deal is bad for Premier Sports, bad for you because you can watch less but better for Rugby League. As for Championship 1 I suspect the money will stay the same but perhaps more clubs can be brought in

Miseries will be miseries won't they?

Leaving aside back of fag packet maths, what "facts" do we have:

- 2 notably downbeat reporters writing very favourably about the deal;

- 200m plus being quoted for the new deal, referring specifically to the period after the existing one expires, together with an uplift for next year;

- Championship games on Sky;

- McManus, the sharpest business tool in the SL box, and a man with an eye on the wider prize (one day he'll run the whole game and we'll really kick on) really likes it. Hudgell and Marwan presented a fait accompli. Which makes perfect sense given how erratic and indiscreet they are. Inspired negotiation tactics;

- this follows hot on the heels of a new structure which can only work if there is a lot more money available for the mid ranking teams;

- policy document outlining clearly how the tapering will work.

Forgive me if I fail to conclude from this that they are paying us in washers in lieu of cash, or that the evil SL clubs will grab all the cash. From what we have been told it's virtually impossible to construct a bad news spin on this rationally. For mine, we just need Toulouse, London and North Wales to find a place in this structure, call it SL 1 and SL 2 and it'll be job done.

The challenge then becomes one for Fev and the rest - how good can they be?

This is brilliant. It completely endorses the things I believe, and is a kick in the face to those who disagree with me. Further proof that I've been right all along.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

Miseries will be miseries won't they?

Nobody is being "miseries" in seeking to get the fine detail and warning others not to count their chickens.

Can't think of anyone who won't be delighted with the deal in principle, there may be people less delighted once the divvy up takes place.

Money doesn't always equal happiness all round, you know that?

However good the news is,a few will always be critical because it doesn't suit their individual aims.I'm amazed how many have a detailed understanding of Sky's negociating rational,through their 'suspicions','beliefs','wouldn't be surprised','fears',all from their armchairs in St.Helens and Featherstone.

Lets just hope the money is used wisely and not frittered away.Personally,I would start by ensuring that any Club which goes into Administration,faces a punative penalty,say 10 points.So if owners/Board run a Club beyond it means,then they know they face virtual automatic relegation.Might also stop a few fans demanding that their Club spends money they don't have.

Lets just hope the money is used wisely and not frittered away.Personally,I would start by ensuring that any Club which goes into Administration,faces a punative penalty,say 10 points.So if owners/Board run a Club beyond it means,then they know they face virtual automatic relegation.Might also stop a few fans demanding that their Club spends money they don't have.

Completely agree with that; severe penalties would force clubs to genuinely think about how they are structured and operate. Frankly the current penalties are weak and don't discourage anything, especially when the game's hierarchy will attempt to protect clubs at all costs due to the lack of strength and quality below SL.

For once this gives us chance to plan for the future.With a fair distribution of the increased monies this will lead to more professional opportunities for lads in their late teens and early twenties. Some say we haven,t got enough players for 14 full-time teams-but I disagree with that.With the right opportunities at an amateur and pro level -bearing in mind the game is more national than it has ever been-the players will be there.

"Hudgell and Marwan presented a fait accompli. Which makes perfect sense given how erratic and indiscreet they are." Oh,dear! :shout:  " Somewhere, I've Heard that Song Before!"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

That's just for Scottish internional friendlies at home and I think also the Scottish Cup. Plenty of other stuff for Scottish football to sell off.

(not saying the RL deal is guff by the way, it isn't!)

Correct,

In an new four-year deal with the Scottish Football Association national governing body, from 2014-15 to 2017-18, Sky will show exclusive live coverage of Scotland national team home friendly matches plus the Scottish Cup and Scottish FA Youth Cup knockout tournaments. Sky will show up to nine games live from every round of the Scottish Cup, both semi-finals – one exclusively live – and the final live in the UK and Republic of Ireland

http://www.sportbusiness.com/tv-sports-markets/sky-unveils-new-rights-deals-profits-fall

- McManus, the sharpest business tool in the SL box, and a man with an eye on the wider prize (one day he'll run the whole game and we'll really kick on) really likes it. Hudgell and Marwan presented a fait accompli. Which makes perfect sense given how erratic and indiscreet they are. Inspired negotiation tactics;

Alternatively, The St Helens Chairman - who I have a lot of time for - is more financialy challenged at present than most people realise, which has coloured the way St Helens have voted over the restructure. Wheras Messrs Hudgell and Koukash are rightly concerned at signing a long term deal - not as good as most on here make out, at about 2 hours notice on a take it or leave it basis.

The BT Sport interest in Super League may have been a media beat up through using certain journalists, Such as Charles Sale's Sports Agenda column in the Daily Mail to create the impresssion of an imminent bid for SKY Sports Properties forcing SKY to commit resources to sports BT sport were not that keen on. See the attached link for BT Sports true position as opposed to il informed "bleeding to death" posts on here. 

http://www.goal.com/en-za/news/4633/soccerex/2014/01/31/4587018/financials-show-power-of-sports-rights-as-bt-and-sky-battle

Comparing with the value of Rugby Union deals in the UK, Ireland and France

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/16/the-breakdown-french-rugby-top14-tv

Judge for yourself

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived