Halifax 26 Dewsbury 13 - discussion, report, highlights

andyram

It will be tough and probably pivotal for both teams. With only 23 matches in the first phase neither side can really afford another loss if they have a realistic hope of a top four spot (hypothetical I know). Failing that then safety is the next objective, so league points will be far more important than a possible cup run.

I expect Town to put out the strongest side that they can (Wigan permitting) and it might be a long journey home for our boys if they do.

(This isn't negativity, just my honest assessment of the current position.)

Think realistically survival is the priority, can't see us making top four and stick with my pre-season prediction of anywhere between 5-8th. If we did fluke 4th place, we would get hammered every week by full time teams though I guess financially it would be good for the club.

Walking wounded out there in the last 15 minutes. Hyde left the pitch barely able to jog, but had to come back on when Pryce got injured and was forced back on - and we had no subs left.

Much like at Hunslet, we seemed to lose a lot when we didn't have Pryce marshalling things from the back. 

I think our failure to deal with Murrell's excellent chip over the top changed the game. Had we secured possession at that point I am confident we'd have gone on to win.

As it happened, they got a repeat set and we just didn't have enough in the tank to hold them at bay.

Don't think the score is a fair reflection of the contest and don't blame us for attempting the short drop-out. Bit of a freak try to concede and then the game was gone. No bonus points to play for, so we had to go for broke.

I though Jackson made a big impact in defence. He's extremely physical and wins the collision.

Caned on the penalty count again, and on days like today that's the difference between winning and lose. We need to tighten our discipline otherwise we're going to spend far too long tackling and losing energy - and that told today.

definitely agree on pryce the boo boys will say hes slow and lazy but he is dependable and solid in my eyes

Yes, but, if only......we lost, zero points in a tough league where we haven't yet played well ( including the Sheffield game).

We should be expecting much better from our expansive policy this season. It's time for this group to deliver - no excuses!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Think realistically survival is the priority, can't see us making top four and stick with my pre-season prediction of anywhere between 5-8th. If we did fluke 4th place, we would get hammered every week by full time teams though I guess financially it would be good for the club.

There is zero chance of a top four place and unfortunately I suspect this will be confirmed in the next few weeks.  We just arent playing well enough and as BSJ points out with only 23 games a loss on Wednesday and then again against Fev and safety will become the over riding priority. 

It might be that we arent quite firing on all cylinders. I still know we havent replaced Tommy G, but lets be honest this league is just so tight with no easy games.  Those teams we expected to be weaker are using DR to make it all very competitive.  Just look at the Rhinos reserve team, put plenty past Donny yesterday!

Lets hope things pick up when it gets warmer but I also worry that opposing coaches have worked out we always go right and that if you keep an eye on Thacks we struggle.

Nick, by the time it gets warmer it will be too late, judging by our current performances.

When Hyde got the drop goal yesterday I thought, just thought, we might show a bit if enterprise, but we seemed to close down. Perhaps the thought went around that we'd done enough then to win. We might have if Halifax had continued playing it down the middle where we were comfortable, but they chose a different method. Hyde's drop out was a good idea as we were only three points down then, but the execution was poor. I don't think ithe ball went ten metres when Tyrer picked up the ball to score, but did he encroach the ten and if so, should the try have been disallowed?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

In the group I were with yesterday we said dewsbury had gone too early for the drop goal and although we had struggled in attack all day it was clear that we looked to still have plenty in the tank where as Dewsbury looked to be flagging badly. I just thought Dewsbury should have tried to keep us pinned down in our own 20 at that point rather than take the one pointer.

From a Fax fan perspective I thought the first half was very poor, our pack is very, very good this year and once again got on top of their opposite numbers only to be let down by our lack of creativity in attack. We look solid in defence and apart from the gift try Dewsbury only really managed to break us down once and didnt really look to threaten us when they had us on our goal line. lots of side to side movement from Fax in attack but if we cant offload in the tackle to break play up we look like we struggle and have all season. We made plenty of half breaks but take the wrong option a lot. like the Potts break in the second half all he has to do is run straight and its a pretty easy try with a 2 on 1 with the FB but instead he runs towards the post and gets tackled by his own player.

It looks like we are in for a half back this week with the spare money now available and its clear on yesterdays performance we need someone who can pick apart a defence as we look pretty sound in other areas. Probably fair to mention Saltonstall as well who is really looking the part and even though Greenwood will be out for the season it looks like we have a ready made replacement in this young lad who has been class on the wing for us so far this season but looks pretty good at Fb as well.

Let's all take something from the positives

I'm positive we've lost another 2 valuable points

I'm positive our superstars are performing below expectations

I'm positive the standard of all championship referee's is poor

I'm positive the club are doing great things off the field

I'm positive well finish 7th

I'm positive over the easter weekend 2 games we will aquire zero points

Lots of positives there people :)

terrible pitch terrible referee yet again, he gave us 2 penaltys in the whole 80 minutes, I can take the getting beat if its fare and square but its not. I have been to all the games this season and not once have I seen a fair ref. The whole lot of them are $hite

So you think all referees have a vendetta against the Rams?

Why do you think that should be?

What have Dewsbury done to upset them all?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

speaking as a town fan , it looks like we ll have two tired teams on wednesday , both hit by injury and both carrying knocks . but i can promise you good weather  , an excellent playing surface , a very warm welcome , and an absolute ##### referee  !

If he gets to watch Tommy Saxton's dissallowed try he might think otherwise.

The ball was inches from the line and therefore it was the correct decision.

The Rams lost their way in the last 15 minutes and I think the score-line flattered Halifax. 

The ball was inches from the line and therefore it was the correct decision.

The Rams lost their way in the last 15 minutes and I think the score-line flattered Halifax. 

I think the Dewsbury players were just dead on their feet to be honest, as RM said after the game Dewsbury had been on the back foot for lengthy spells in the game and they thought fitness would pay later in the game and it did.

If he gets to watch Tommy Saxton's dissallowed try he might think otherwise.

Just seen the highlights baffled where the knock on was

Think Dews drop out was arguably the worst Ive ever seen.

Interesting that Bat Lad,did you just watch them 2 incidents? Did you not see Paul Jackson get the ball down over the try line or the same player have the ball knocked out of his hands? You've not seen many drop outs then if that's the worst you've seen,it was the tackling that upset me more than the drop out!!

The drop out was a tactical move that didn't pay off. It may look bad but could have paid dividends if it had come off.

The drop out was a tactical move that didn't pay off. It may look bad but could have paid dividends if it had come off.

I didnt think it was that bad, when it set off my first thought was that it could easily make touch giving Dewsbury the scrum. Tyrer chanced his arm and got a nice bounce making it look bad.

I didnt think it was that bad, when it set off my first thought was that it could easily make touch giving Dewsbury the scrum. Tyrer chanced his arm and got a nice bounce making it look bad.

That was my point. If the ball had reached touch before Tyrer collected it then it would have been Dewsbury's feed and after that who knows....?

Archived