Advice please - World Cup 2017

Lucky for me I have mates an hour south of Sydney in the Southern Highlands for accomodation.

20 minutes up the escarpment from Wollongong so handy if they play a game there again.

Thing is he is planning to get married early in 2017 so it could be a double trip downunder for me.

Last year I did a month for the NRL play offs and final and hired a car for around 400 euro for the whole period.

Brisbane is a nice 12/14 hour and worth splitting the journey with an overnight stop.

Also if your budget is tight you can get Bondi Beach twin rooms for under 40 pounds a night..Plenty of backpackers hostels around.

Make it an adventure with the WC thrown in and explore the country..its amazing.

Internal flights are cheap enough if they go up to Cairns or Townsville and nipping over to Kiwi is reasonable.

PNG never looked into that and hoping England dont get sent up there.

Depends what you want.

Believe it or not it was cheaper for me to book my own flights with a three night stop over in Singapore (direct homeward flight) than it was going straight downunder.

Look around,check and compare flights, you can find some good deals and dont believe the airline you fly with.

I booked BA from Amsterdam via Heathrow to Singapore then BA from Singapore to Sydney.

The second leg was actually on a Quantas flight with passengers also booked through Southern China Airlines which were cheaper than BA yet we were all on the same areoplane.

Granted I had free digs but my month cost well under 4000 euro and I had enough left over that I went straight to Lanzerote for 7 days on my "Aussie" budget.So you dont have to break the bank unless you want 4 star treatment.

Last but not least...people bang on about the price of a pint but I never paid more than 7 bucks which is around 3.30/3.50 quid....in the village it was 5 bucks which is a lot cheaper than the Netherlands.Now if you smoke then your in trouble  :drag:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Beer prices will reflect where the Beer is bought like anywhere.

A fancy joint will charge as much as they can.

The Schooner is the standard large glass of beer in Australia 425ml (15 fl oz)

A Pub will charge depending on the style of Pub, a workers Pub in the outer suburbs will be cheaper than a Pub at Manly or Bondi with a fancy views, it reflects the establishments overheads like all things.

RSL or Leagues clubs will be cheaper again in most cases particularly RSL's where they are non profit community Clubs.

Take out Beer from a Off License is about  £20.00  for a carton of 24 cans or bottles 375ml, a 6 pack would be around £7.00.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I did the full trip in 08,booked it all my self,stayed in either hostals(single room) or budget hotels..

Did a week in in townsville,a week in melbourne,10 days in sydney (got the train up to newscastle for the NZ game,stayed over night then came back to sydney..then i planned on staying in brisbane for 2 weeks for the semi & final..but changed my mind..did 1 week in brisbane taking in the semi and the last week,with the money i saved cancelling that 2nd week i got a apartment down in surfers paradise and just jumped on a train back to brisbane for the final..

All in all i spent about £6000...i think lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Im thinking about doing only New Zealand (we've been to Oz) and seeing what I can see in 4 weeks. Could be great.

4 Weeks is about Right (I've been here 6 years and still only scratched the surface). Chances are you'll land in Auckland, so before you head south, make a point of driving up to the Bay of Islands. I've no love of Auckland, as it strikes me as just another big city, but there's the Sky Tower, which if you're feeling brave you can Jump off. Once you head south, you have a choice of routes. Turn Left and you'll head towards Hawkes bay taking in the Thermal mud pools and Geysers at Rotarua, maybe stopping for Lunch at Lake Taupo before arriving on the East Coast which is pretty much the Sunniest place in the country. There is a longer route (12hrs) that takes in some spectacular scenery, but I'd go the first way. Next up I'd head south to Palmerston North where you can then decide if you want to head west towards new Plymouth or north to the parkes, before heading south to Wellington. There's plenty to see and do there and if it's your thing, then Weta Workshops is a must see.

Ferries to the south Island are regular, but I recommend getting the early AM sailings or early evening, because the Marlborough Sounds are a spectacular sight first or last thing in the day. Things to do and see in the south include Nelson, the Abel Tasman Park (water taxis to beaches and camp sites), Queenstown, from where you can do a day trip to Milford Sound...you really haven't seen NZ until youve been to the Milford Sound. Then the the Fox Glacier, Shark diving on Stewart Island and on the drive back up the East Coast, a visit to Christchurch where you'll see the scale of the earthquake destruction......

I'd recommend bringing a go-pro or similar camera and using it as a dashboard camera when driving as the scenery is truly breathtaking, especially in the south.

Most of the games at RLWC 2017 in NZ will probably be based in the northern half of the North Island as that's where League is at its strongest, but Even if you find yourself in the south island when there's a game you really want to see on in say Auckland, when booked in advance, a return trip from Christchurch can be as cheap as $40 NZ each way......

Thanks for all comments it's been really helpful. I will wait and see what this forum has to offer before deciding how to book things. I'm really hoping England get to play in Brisbane as i've heard good reviews about that city. Can't wait till next year but I got a lot of saving to do 1st

Thanks for all comments it's been really helpful. I will wait and see what this forum has to offer before deciding how to book things. I'm really hoping England get to play in Brisbane as i've heard good reviews about that city. Can't wait till next year but I got a lot of saving to do 1st

Nice city, watch out for the bats.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

One thing I would stress, and it may have been covered elsewhere, is that it is so beautiful and warm outdoors that time of year in NSW and Qland that there is very little point spending much money on your accommodation as you just need a place to sleep.

When I first went to Oz 5 of us stayed 4 nights by a beach in Queensland in the oldest caravan in the world for pennies each, and had the most fantastic time (there was a nearby bottle shop).

One thing I would stress, and it may have been covered elsewhere, is that it is so beautiful and warm outdoors that time of year in NSW and Qland that there is very little point spending much money on your accommodation as you just need a place to sleep.

When I first went to Oz 5 of us stayed 4 nights by a beach in Queensland in the oldest caravan in the world for pennies each, and had the most fantastic time (there was a nearby bottle shop).

Yesterday was a balmy 41° here but fortunately we then had a storm that knocked out power to 80,000 homes.

remember travel tip No # 34........ in Australia no one drinks Foster's

Do they even still sell it there anymore?

I thought it had died the death there decades ago.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Ufffff.... news just in... my cricket club have been invited to participate in the Australian Inter-Services competition in 2017... it looks like that may be Nov/Dec 17... likely to be based in Sydney and Canberra... oh go on then Rugby League World Cup Final 2017... I will attend if you wish! :D:biggrin: :D :D :D :D

At the last World Cup in OZ in 2008 we stayed at the Travelodge at Garden City at 8 Mile Plains, Brisbane.    Bus stop right outside the hotel and then straight on to the bus motorway straight in to the city centre with only 1 stop.    After the game bus right from the ground back to the hotel and match ticket got us free travel on the buses.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Ufffff.... news just in... my cricket club have been invited to participate in the Australian Inter-Services competition in 2017... it looks like that may be Nov/Dec 17... likely to be based in Sydney and Canberra... oh go on then Rugby League World Cup Final 2017... I will attend if you wish! :D:biggrin:  :D :D :D :D

Devastated for you mate!

Archived