WCS Attendances

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the figures weren't bad at all. Had intended to do the 360 mile round trip to Wigan but instead went to that London Richmond on Thames to a surprise * 50th birthday party for a long standing friend and former colleague. We all have to set our own priorities within limited resources.

* The surprise was that the posh pub they'd chosen didn't sell beer, only imported lager muck.

Parky wants to know why 37,000 weren't at Headingley. Stop dodging the issue.

mm I don't know but I would have thought one factor may be that then their was only one game. Thus more people travelling from area's where games where this time.

They had a choice of x3 rather than one and only one if they wanted to see a NRL team. 

Does anyone think it'll take place in Australia next year?

I think there's very little chance the Aussies will give our teams the same sort of financial guarantees that we afford their teams. And if the Australian public think the games will be one sided they'll vote with their feet. I'll be very surprised if there are two games in Australia next year.

rldfsignature.jpg

Does anyone think it'll take place in Australia next year?

If it's going to continue then I think it needs to. I could see the WCC game pulling a crowd, depending on the NRL team involved, but I can't see any justification for expanding to 4 games, just to have 2 in UK and 2 in OZ/NZ.

Provided the proposed expansion of the WCS goes ahead then Australia will definitely host 2x games in 2017.

For the Grand Final winners, the opportunity to collect another piece of silverware is enough to draw a crowd, as shown by the Roosters a few years back against a weakened Wigan side.

If next year's GF winner is outside of Sydney then honestly it wouldn't matter who that team played it would be a sell out. Clubs like Brisbane and North Queensland have already said as such.

For markets like Auckland and Melbourne there is an added novelty factor which will only help.

The fact coaches like Robinson and Bennett are big supporters of the concept, plus tge Rabbitohs, Broncos, Warriors and Dragons management there is enough vocal support for the WCS to continue for a while.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

General public fearing mismatches.

Leeds attendance was 18,000 down on their best World club challenge attendance.

Ask the 18,000 perhaps??

if it was 19000 at Headingley that is very nearly a sellout

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Innacurate again Parky.

I'll accept corrections all day long and thank people for them if they actually make a valid correction and supported reasoning. Sounds to me like your taking the "oi you spilled my pint" approach as though I'm somehow having a go at your club.

Parky wants to know why 37,000 weren't at Headingley. Stop dodging the issue.

Let's all see the issue, if TWIG won't post the facts.....

Leeds WCC/WCS attendances results and venues

2005  Won   Elland Road    37,028

2008  Won   Elland Road    33,204

2009  Lost   Elland Road    32,569

2010  Lost   Elland Road    27,697

2012  Won   Headingley     21,062

2013  Lost    Headingley     20,400

2016  Lost    Headingley     19.778

Again corrections welcome, if I have got something wrong it's because I need to go do some work not treble check the facts for others who can't a bothered to do any of their own.

So seven matches, in which crowds have fallen every time by an average of 2,875 so maybe next time we could get 16,903

If anyone has played well in these games it's Leeds, and if anyone did their best this weekend it was Leeds with a standing ovation to be at 4-4 at half time.

But the fact is the novelty has been wearing off this last 10 years regardless of results and performances.

Saints 23,200 at the Reebok 2007

Saints at home 17,980 2015

Saints at home 14,008 2016

Wigan 24,268 in 2011

Wigan 20,842 in 2015

Wigan 19,103 in 2016

All attendances dropping significantly year on year.

Average attendance first time Leeds/Wigan/Saints played  28,165

Average attendance last time Leeds/Wigan/Saints played  17,030

Now let's depart from the facts and consider opinions, in my humble opinion Solly has squeezed a profit out of the concept by staging three games on a low profit margin. Well done.

But on the fact that attendances are rapidly declining in these games he may not be turning any profit next year, and if we are badly whitewashed again certainly not 2018.

Hence IMHO he shifts to a new market in Australia where they tested it out in 2014 and put 31,515 into the Allianze stadium Sydney.

But you tell me, if Solly gets two 30,000 crowds 2017 but two avalanche scores will he get two 30,000 crowds again???

He says "our review will be based on further growth of the series" a silly thing to say when the concept has shown year on year decline for a decade??

The only sensible like for like would be the 2 3 game series, where Saints got more than Wire, Wigan got less than 10% fewer (the St George comparison is of course entirely spurious) and Leeds got more than Saints but less than 10% fewer than their last "like for like". A tapering off at worst I'd say. Next years' will be interesting, though I expect the KC will be full.

The games were played at a ground with a smaller capacity party. Stop trying to force controversy where there isn't any. Yet you posted that the attendance was 18000 down on their highest capacity WITHOUT stating a change of ground and you complain that I don't post facts.That's why I posted what I did and not, as you usually assume that it was a dig at Leeds.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

The only sensible like for like.......

Wow your really spinning here.

10 years of the concept of our best clubs against their best clubs and ever decreasing attendances right across the board isn't enough for you.

By all means cherry pick a bit of the figures to suit........

Why not like for like Leeds.v.their best 2005

Leeds.v.their best 2016

Archived