WCS Attendances

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me parky how do you get 37000 in a ground that holds 20000?

Tell me that the game sold out weeks ago with thousands disappointed.

Tell me you do not disagree crowds have gone down every year.

2005  Won   Elland Road    37,028

2008  Won   Elland Road    33,204

2009  Lost   Elland Road    32,569

2010  Lost   Elland Road    27,697

2012  Won   Headingley     21,062

2013  Lost    Headingley     20,400

2016  Lost    Headingley     19.778

And so in 2005 37,028 people bought a ticket to the game

And in 2016 19,778 people bought a ticket to the game.

So 17,250 less people bought tickets

Not because tickets ran out

Of course 17250 less people bought tickets the ground that can't hold 37000. Although that fact (and I know you love facts)appears to be above your comprehension.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

19778 is still very near capacity at Headingley .I think if the capacity was say 25k the crowd would have been about 23000 that is why Leeds should be thinking about having a capacity of 26000 for the new stadium

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Why is everyone so sure it a game wouldn't sell in Australia. Are they some sort of elite sports fan who won't even dream of attending a sporting event unless they are guaranteed a close scoreline

The NRL and SL are very small leagues with a comparatively small amount of clubs with very little chance to play different clubs year on year.

I think if the WCC game was held in Townsville after the Cowboys first premiership the crowd could have been great.

When Australia totally dominated England cricket wise what was the impact on crowds watching he Ashes.

I don't know but maybe, maybe not a little smaller and I guess my point is that maybe the Aussies a)love sport and b)even better when battering us.... c)unless we are doing the hammering and then they don't like watching their own losing... well at least the Aussie press anyway.

Not sure level of competition is a reason that many stay away... maybe no interest for other reasons. Hence my first question.

How many tickets were available to buy?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

There were 37k at Ellnad Rd because they weren't all Leeds fans. Whole RL community came out as like an England game. Very similar crowd to the 4 Nations final that was played about that time. Neutral grounds bring out the neutrals, and there were no other games that weekend.

When games are played at clubs stadiums, other fans don't tend to go. Look at the Exiles games. Very similar attendances to the clubs bigger crowds. At Headigley when England played the Exiles, Sam Tomkins got booed. Because it was a Leeds crowd.

Leeds wanted a partisan crowd so they played at Headingley (precedent set in Manly WCC game a few years before). There were 2 other WCS games this weekend, 2 in SL and a full program in Champ and League 1.

So you are comparing apples and oranges Parky. No further doom and gloom mongering please

When Australia totally dominated England cricket wise what was the impact on crowds watching he Ashes.

During the last OZ golden period - the Warne/McGrath/Gilchrist period - crowds increased for the first couple of years then declined once the winning became a formality. (In OZ anyway)

There were only a few hundred Western Terrace tickets left unsold on the morning of the game. More would have gone had there been more covered standing and more seats. I know a fair few casual fans who couldn't get in the South Stand so didn't bother. Either way, holding it at Headingley with 20k there makes the club more money than a decent crowd at ER. Plus they added a fiver on tickets. But I reckon 30k would have been about the most they'd have got at ER because the novelty is probably wearing off. 

You've clearly got no clue on how ticket marketing works.

Once you get within a few thousand of the capacity people stop marketing tickets. People start stating the game is a sell put, advertisement stops, people stop pushing sales ect.

Also the amount Leeds would of spent on marketing on the game to try and get the crowds in will be much lower. If Leeds are trying to get a 35,000 crowd in their marketing budget will be much much higher. If Leeds are playing at a 20k seater stadium they aren't going to set out a marketing budget to try and fill a 35k stadium are they?

The capacity of the ground was clearly the driving factor behind the crowd. Not the interest in the competition. There is much more to factor in crowds than fan interest.

The fact you're blatantly ignoring the fact the 2 games were at different grounds makes me think you're winding people up.

I'll accept corrections all day long and thank people for them if they actually make a valid correction and supported reasoning. Sounds to me like your taking the "oi you spilled my pint" approach as though I'm somehow having a go at your club.

Let's all see the issue, if TWIG won't post the facts.....

Leeds WCC/WCS attendances results and venues

2005 Won Elland Road 37,028

2008 Won Elland Road 33,204

2009 Lost Elland Road 32,569

2010 Lost Elland Road 27,697

2012 Won Headingley 21,062

2013 Lost Headingley 20,400

2016 Lost Headingley 19.778

Again corrections welcome, if I have got something wrong it's because I need to go do some work not treble check the facts for others who can't a bothered to do any of their own.

So seven matches, in which crowds have fallen every time by an average of 2,875 so maybe next time we could get 16,903

If anyone has played well in these games it's Leeds, and if anyone did their best this weekend it was Leeds with a standing ovation to be at 4-4 at half time.

But the fact is the novelty has been wearing off this last 10 years regardless of results and performances.

Saints 23,200 at the Reebok 2007

Saints at home 17,980 2015

Saints at home 14,008 2016

Wigan 24,268 in 2011

Wigan 20,842 in 2015

Wigan 19,103 in 2016

All attendances dropping significantly year on year.

Average attendance first time Leeds/Wigan/Saints played 28,165

Average attendance last time Leeds/Wigan/Saints played 17,030

Now let's depart from the facts and consider opinions, in my humble opinion Solly has squeezed a profit out of the concept by staging three games on a low profit margin. Well done.

But on the fact that attendances are rapidly declining in these games he may not be turning any profit next year, and if we are badly whitewashed again certainly not 2018.

Hence IMHO he shifts to a new market in Australia where they tested it out in 2014 and put 31,515 into the Allianze stadium Sydney.

But you tell me, if Solly gets two 30,000 crowds 2017 but two avalanche scores will he get two 30,000 crowds again???

He says "our review will be based on further growth of the series" a silly thing to say when the concept has shown year on year decline for a decade??

inaccurate! !!!!

You are counting and comparing games that weren't for the trophy!

Also for a one off game you would get more general support....now the floating support can see their team or choose from 3!

Tickets were in general full price (a positive) which di suave the bargain hunters, and all games were televised!

Finally all the games took place at the home grounds of the teams involved....it was widely reported that this would make the clubs more money than hiring a venue....

saints didnt make anythink from the reebok game, but made a profit last year with 5k less support!

The capacity of the ground was clearly the driving factor behind the crowd. Not the interest in the competition. There is much more to factor in crowds than fan interest.

The fact you're blatantly ignoring the fact the 2 games were at different grounds makes me think you're winding people up.

The thread isn't about me, it's about the WCS attendances.

Plenty of events in the entertainment industry which we are in have far more demand for tickets than the venue can hold.

Expect Springsteens concerts to be instant sell outs with thousands dissapponted.

Maybe he'll put on a second show at some venues.

Maybe Leeds should pay the Cowboys again soon given the massive demand and the 18,000 disappointed Leeds fans who couldn't get tickets.

inaccurate! !!!!

You are counting and comparing games that weren't for the trophy!

Well you may want to play this silly game as well but we agree to disagree,

The declining attendances for the our champions versus their champions have been posted for all on here to see, they can all make their minds up can't they?

No need to contrive silly arguments that in the end are trying to excuse a clear decline in interest in the match an interest that can only Wane (no pun intended) once fans realise every game is likely to be a thumping.

That it has waned is probably why Solly wants to get games off to Australia in the hope he'll turn another 30,000 crowd or two for Dacia.

People really must realise that Parksider is right and everyone else is wrong.

There is no doubt that Parksider should be running the RFL and could easily settle the Palestine question over a couple of beers and obviously should have his bosses job,which makes it all the more remarkable that in fact,he has achieved precisely nothing in his little life.Strange that.

There were 37k at Ellnad Rd because they weren't all Leeds fans. Whole RL community came out as like an England game. Very similar crowd to the 4 Nations final that was played about that time. Neutral grounds bring out the neutrals, and there were no other games that weekend.

When games are played at clubs stadiums, other fans don't tend to go. Look at the Exiles games. Very similar attendances to the clubs bigger crowds. At Headigley when England played the Exiles, Sam Tomkins got booed. Because it was a Leeds crowd.

Leeds wanted a partisan crowd so they played at Headingley (precedent set in Manly WCC game a few years before). There were 2 other WCS games this weekend, 2 in SL and a full program in Champ and League 1.

So you are comparing apples and oranges Parky. No further doom and gloom mongering please

wit was very partisan at Elland road 37k the ozzies were saying afterwards they never heard noise like it all singing Leeds songs ,maybe a lot of Leeds United fans

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived