Rant thread

The ABC - our BBC  - has finally relented after a 2-year ban on public comments and decided to re-open comments on their main news site. Moderated, of course, and presumably moderated by the person sitting next to the one who wrote the article, just to ensure there's no thought deviation among the great unwashed.

My first 2 attempts to comment - on the article about the return of comments, ironically - produced the following error message:  It seems you're attempting to post malformed content. My posts contained no images, 4-letter words, HTML, ISIS recruitment and no foreign characters. (Even my spelling and punctuation were impeccable.) I am now waiting for them to define "malformed content."

Just an update for those who like a good rant but aren't afflicted by YouTube addiction:

• tankies descend on Xexizy to denounce his recent denunciation of Stalinism
  • Kraut and Tea returns from self-imposed hiatus to deliver his "ultimate takedown of Alt-Right" and fails miserably over his understanding of the use of r/K selection theory
  • cult leader Stefan Molyneux continues attempts to tie race realism into his Ancap theory - I presume someone has already asked the Dear Leader how an ethnostate could be maintained without the existence of the state, to which I presume he would have replied, "Not an argument!"
  • Dave Rubin walks back his atheism. Some commentators have suggested that, given his guest roster and audience base, his atheism may have been constricting the shekel flow to his channel. Ah, Dave! Driving Centrism to its ultimate conclusion where vapidity struggles with vacuity to hold the big stage. My favourite dig was Billy Bong calling Dave a "Porch Atheist."
  • In reaction to their declining YT revenues, many "libertarians" are now calling for Government action to regulate Google and YT. I hope my brain never gets that damaged. Black Pigeon even said that if anyone was contemplating commenting that Google was a private company, they could F*** Off! This is the wannabe intellectual equivalent of "Well it's my bat and ball so ....."
  • ...and lastly, speaking of "back from the dead," somebody made a video about prominent nose-picking advocate, Laurie Penny. What was it about? I don't know, I didn't watch it because it was about Laurie Penny.

Come on, Laurie, use the whole fist!

LauriePenny.JPG.03772f26b2cb17bca5892295c033ea15.JPG

PS: YT burn of the week, Mauritian Struggle on Armoured Skeptic™: "I won't say I don't like him but if I wanted to kill myself I would jump off the top of his ego down to his IQ."

Edited by Farmduck

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

HMRC are closing down the Bradford area offices and moving them to Leeds. 

Yes because ###### Leeds is so underfunded and deprived that it needs everything there. Leeds, what about ###### Bradford for a change?  Never mind the north-south divide, we have exactly that here.

Almost as bad are the people from Bradford who spend all their money in Leeds then complain that Bradford's dead. Of course it is, you're all in Leeds FFS. 

Want to see a corpse of a town John? Look at Rovrum.

Mines gone. Massive decline in steel production to next to nowt and employment from those industries not replaced.

Most of the pubs banks and shops in the town are gone. Replaced by "loan shops" And cheap shops.

The town became terminally ill on 4.9.1990 when on top of the social decline from closure of the industries the town waa built on, Meadowhall opened.  Folks whinging about the decline of the town centre were like disciples flocking to their new church.

This morning the memsahib is off to the hair dressers in town. I shall go to the market and use our local bakers for bread. My lad is a councillor in town.

I try and do my bit to resurrect some interest in shopping local bit it feels like I'm pizzin in t'wind 

I share your rant

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

HMRC are closing down the Bradford area offices and moving them to Leeds. 

Yes because ###### Leeds is so underfunded and deprived that it needs everything there. Leeds, what about ###### Bradford for a change?  Never mind the north-south divide, we have exactly that here.

Almost as bad are the people from Bradford who spend all their money in Leeds then complain that Bradford's dead. Of course it is, you're all in Leeds FFS. 

If only there was an international organisation that could provide funding to help.

Oh there is http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/15178171.District_lands___7m_EU_funding_boost_to_get_long_term_jobless_into_work/

Edited by Shadow

On 09/09/2017 at 6:34 AM, Farmduck said:

Just an update for those who like a good rant but aren't afflicted by YouTube addiction:

• tankies descend on Xexizy to denounce his recent denunciation of Stalinism
  • Kraut and Tea returns from self-imposed hiatus to deliver his "ultimate takedown of Alt-Right" and fails miserably over his understanding of the use of r/K selection theory
  • cult leader Stefan Molyneux continues attempts to tie race realism into his Ancap theory - I presume someone has already asked the Dear Leader how an ethnostate could be maintained without the existence of the state, to which I presume he would have replied, "Not an argument!"
  • Dave Rubin walks back his atheism. Some commentators have suggested that, given his guest roster and audience base, his atheism may have been constricting the shekel flow to his channel. Ah, Dave! Driving Centrism to its ultimate conclusion where vapidity struggles with vacuity to hold the big stage. My favourite dig was Billy Bong calling Dave a "Porch Atheist."
  • In reaction to their declining YT revenues, many "libertarians" are now calling for Government action to regulate Google and YT. I hope my brain never gets that damaged. Black Pigeon even said that if anyone was contemplating commenting that Google was a private company, they could F*** Off! This is the wannabe intellectual equivalent of "Well it's my bat and ball so ....."
  • ...and lastly, speaking of "back from the dead," somebody made a video about prominent nose-picking advocate, Laurie Penny. What was it about? I don't know, I didn't watch it because it was about Laurie Penny.

Come on, Laurie, use the whole fist!

LauriePenny.JPG.03772f26b2cb17bca5892295c033ea15.JPG

PS: YT burn of the week, Mauritian Struggle on Armoured Skeptic™: "I won't say I don't like him but if I wanted to kill myself I would jump off the top of his ego down to his IQ."

I used to like Dave Rubin a lot and felt he was representative of a movement that just wanted to promote discussion no matter what your opinion.

When it turns out that those discussions involve speaking to Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Paul Watson, Steven Crowder, Milo Yiannopolis and Sargon of Akkad with nobody from the other side of the debate I quickly lose interest.

Until you have discussions with Melody Hensley, Jessica Valenti, Cenk Uygur and Anita Sarkeesian as well you are just as much of an echo chamber as those you accuse.

Edited by Maximus Decimus

I woke up today to two news stories that infuriate me and signify so much wrong about the modern world.

First was a story of a guy who decided to play piano in a public park until his girlfriend took him back. Instead of being seen as a romantic gesture (however flawed) it was a gender issue about men thinking they can own women.

Second was the Paul Hollywood headline in the Sun. His crime? Going to a fancy dress party 14 years ago dressed as a Nazi. Why wasn't it an issue back then or when he first became famous? Because no-one cared then. This desperation to be offended at literally everything is a relatively recent phenomenon.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I woke up today to two news stories that infuriate me and signify so much wrong about the modern world.

First was a story of a guy who decided to play piano in a public park until his girlfriend took him back. Instead of being seen as a romantic gesture (however flawed) it was a gender issue about men thinking they can own women.

Second was the Paul Hollywood headline in the Sun. His crime? Going to a fancy dress party 14 years ago dressed as a Nazi. Why wasn't it an issue back then or when he first became famous? Because no-one cared then. This desperation to be offended at literally everything is a relatively recent phenomenon.

We've just had this conversation in the office. Army surplus stores were awash with (particularly) East German army gear at that time - it was really sought after. Loads of people made fancy dress out of that kind of stuff. It was even a bit trendy to wear the great overcoats, particularly for students.

58 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

We've just had this conversation in the office. Army surplus stores were awash with (particularly) East German army gear at that time - it was really sought after. Loads of people made fancy dress out of that kind of stuff. It was even a bit trendy to wear the great overcoats, particularly for students.

I used to have an East German tank-driver's jacket, which was the warmest winter garment I've ever had.

Swastika armbands, however, are another matter. While I don't think Paul Hollywood's politics are anywhere near those of the Nazi party, it was one of those stupid decisions that he may have thought would be funny at the time, but really wasn't... a bit like working with Noel Fielding, really.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Virgin Media

Three years after moving house and seeing the back of them I'd forgotten how useless and unhelpful the entire putrid organisation is.
They've just decided to start sending me the bills for the people that bought my old house with my new address.

Life is too short to sit on hold for this bunch of cretins, I may take a trip to the nearest shop tomorrow and have a hissy fit in the middle of their customers.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, Maximus Decimus said:

I used to like Dave Rubin a lot and felt he was representative of a movement that just wanted to promote discussion no matter what your opinion.

When it turns out that those discussions involve speaking to Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins, Paul Watson, Steven Crowder, Milo Yiannopolis and Sargon of Akkad with nobody from the other side of the debate I quickly lose interest.

Until you have discussions with Melody Hensley, Jessica Valenti, Cenk Uygur and Anita Sarkeesian as well you are just as much of an echo chamber as those you accuse.

Rubin currently collects $27,000/month from his Patreon account alone and his production costs consist mainly of him buying himself a bigger house for his "home studio." He always talks about "we" as if he's supporting a cast of thousands but I can't see it. I'd guess he's using 3 stationary cameras and an intern from some local film school (he is in LA after all) to do his editing. I don't usually watch Atheism is Unstoppable but I saw his long vid about the growth and development of Dave's "political beliefs" and career. He asserted that the turning point was when Dave met Milo and Milo explained that the Right pays infinitely better than the Left.

9 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Rubin currently collects $27,000/month from his Patreon account alone and his production costs consist mainly of him buying himself a bigger house for his "home studio." He always talks about "we" as if he's supporting a cast of thousands but I can't see it. I'd guess he's using 3 stationary cameras and an intern from some local film school (he is in LA after all) to do his editing. I don't usually watch Atheism is Unstoppable but I saw his long vid about the growth and development of Dave's "political beliefs" and career. He asserted that the turning point was when Dave met Milo and Milo explained that the Right pays infinitely better than the Left.

I think Mr DeFranco has a team of around 4-5? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 07/09/2017 at 8:11 PM, ckn said:

Wife's out at a friend's tonight so I decide on a quiet night in... I decided to have a soak in the bath and read my book.  Just got comfy when the phone rings, landline, only my gran and my wife's dad uses that so I thought it would be important after 8pm.  Ran to phone to hear "hello sirs, you in car accident, we help you money" with me dripping water on the bed.

As discussed earlier in this thread I usually am fairly polite or just hang up, this one got an "oh (fornicate) off" before I hung up.

I usually say, great. Let me get the paperwork, and leave them on hold. Then go and do something else for an hour then hang up if they're still there.

I managed to get to the age of 46 with my eyebrows happy as they were, nice and neat and tidy all on their own.  Today, I discovered I have a few that are just shy of 1 inch long.  Why?  Why does the human body get to that sort of age and go "oh, hold on, I think I need more hair over my eyes!  And while I'm at it, that nose hair could be doing with getting longer.  Hmmm, my ears got a bit cold last year, maybe a liberal sprouting of long hairs there will do as well."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 13/09/2017 at 6:18 PM, Billypop said:

smombies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone_zombie

Anyone want to plead guilty? I was given a smartphone by work and gave it back within 6 months. I saw what it did to people. 

The over use of a phone is something that bothers me a lot and I've certainly tried combatting my use (to mixed results) over the last couple of years. There is certainly an addictive element to it.

There was a Sam Harris podcast a few months ago where he invited ex Google Design Ethicist Tristram Harris. It was an eye opening account into this and how online platforms compete in an attention based economy. The result is that whatever works to keep people's attention best is usually then adopted universally. 

I've virtually stopped using Facebook altogether and turned off notifications. I've also got an app which measures my daily usage. It's had mixed results and if there is something I'm particularly interested in I might end up using my phone a lot. 

I say this of course whilst typing on my phone.

On 13/9/2017 at 10:03 PM, ckn said:

I managed to get to the age of 46 with my eyebrows happy as they were, nice and neat and tidy all on their own.  Today, I discovered I have a few that are just shy of 1 inch long.  Why?  Why does the human body get to that sort of age and go "oh, hold on, I think I need more hair over my eyes!  And while I'm at it, that nose hair could be doing with getting longer.  Hmmm, my ears got a bit cold last year, maybe a liberal sprouting of long hairs there will do as well."

I used to have long nasal hair.  Then I stopped getting it.  You know age is hitting you when even your nasal passage is balding.

59 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The over use of a phone is something that bothers me a lot and I've certainly tried combatting my use (to mixed results) over the last couple of years. There is certainly an addictive element to it.

There was a Sam Harris podcast a few months ago where he invited ex Google Design Ethicist Tristram Harris. It was an eye opening account into this and how online platforms compete in an attention based economy. The result is that whatever works to keep people's attention best is usually then adopted universally. 

I've virtually stopped using Facebook altogether and turned off notifications. I've also got an app which measures my daily usage. It's had mixed results and if there is something I'm particularly interested in I might end up using my phone a lot. 

I say this of course whilst typing on my phone.

What app is that? (and I do see the irony in it).

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I used to have long nasal hair.  Then I stopped getting it.  You know age is hitting you when even your nasal passage is balding.

What app is that? (and I do see the irony in it).

Quality time. It allows you to not count certain apps (like Audible, Kindle and Podcast addict).

I find the more tired I am the more likely I am to be on my phone.

• Like 1

Just now, Maximus Decimus said:

Quality time. It allows you to not count certain apps (like Audible, Kindle and Podcast addict).

I find the more tired I am the more likely I am to be on my phone.

Some things are like caffeine and keep you alert when you need sleep.   If you were trying to stay awake, rather than sitting quietly, you would look at your phone, watch TV etc.

Then there are things that clear the mind, exercise etc.

For me, I am realizing how important sleep is to my well being.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Some things are like caffeine and keep you alert when you need sleep.   If you were trying to stay awake, rather than sitting quietly, you would look at your phone, watch TV etc.

Then there are things that clear the mind, exercise etc.

For me, I am realizing how important sleep is to my well being.

Having children is a real life lesson for how sleep and food affects mood.

This is a perfect example of the worst of capitalism.

A previously modestly profitable and fairly robust company that was taken private through a buy-out funded by debt.  In other words, the buy-out leeches paid virtually nothing for the company, used the company's assets to secure the loans then used that money to buy the shares.  When it goes under, the leeches will have no liabilities because it's a limited organisation, they'll just have taken their pound or 10 of flesh and will move on to the next target having bankrupted the company and put 1600 stores worth of employees on the unemployment line.  Ah well, that's the free market for you after all...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

So, this rant is based on my post in Uninteresting Trivial Facts yesterday.  I had held this one back because it's hard not to make it seem like I want something others can't get.

It isn't aimed at any political party in particular as it's been in force for years and the governments of the day have been ignoring petitions and requests to fix it ever since I can remember and certainly since the first time I paid attention to it in 1995.

I receive a war disablement pension for my service in the army.  I get the non-taxable version that essentially means the army's medical board admitted it's an injury directly attributable to army service rather than simply being injured in service, if that makes sense.  That pension entitlement essentially means I over-earn as far as JobSeekers Allowance is concerned as it's "income from an employment".  Then my wife is on half-pay from her job so that means we're over the limit for any household benefits.

I really do grudge having paid all that tax over all those years and this is the first time in my adult life where I'd actually be eligible to claim unemployment benefits and I get nothing.  28 years worth of paying tax to be told by a snotty advisor that I should have known that I couldn't get any money and the tone said I was completely wasting her valuable time.  I checked with a separate independent advisor and they said that if I MAY be able to get about £10 per week if I pushed but that was unlikely in their experience and often overturned anyway on internal review.

So, I'm unemployed but I'm not officially "unemployed" for the stats as I was refused a payment and I refused to voluntarily sign-on without payment.  I CAN voluntarily sign on as unemployed and put myself through the ritual humiliations to get that status but why the hell should I?

It's things like this that make me really question my stance as a contractor for years making sure I was squeaky clean with my taxation while others were getting away with some extravagant excesses.  Why should I go out of my way to pay my dues when the government's goons treat me like a simpleton for daring to ask if I'm entitled to anything back.

My war pension isn't "income" as far as I'm concerned, it's my compensation for having to put up with a permanent injury incurred in my service in the army yet I seem to be the only one with that attitude towards it.

I remember reading a story back in 1995 (I remember the date because it was just after I left the army) about someone turning up at the Job Centre in their Bentley every fortnight claiming their non-means-tested Unemployment Benefit simply because they'd bloody well earned it.  I didn't understand that at the time, well, I now can completely understand it and I bloody well want my money back that I earned.

McVities have cut the number of Jaffa Cakes in their packs from 12 to 10 while keeping the price the same.  They say the price to consumers is up to retailers but their trade price hasn't changed.

And they're biscuits, not cakes.