Rant thread

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Ideally, people should use the ad break to get a little excercise by standing up, walking round, on the spot marching and deep breathing. 👍

If you watch any late films on film 4 there would be plenty of time for that , after midnight the ad count goes up to about 9 for each break. Watching a Jap film last thursday one break contained 12 ads , original shoot time of 1 hour 40 mins , with ad breaks the film runs for 2 hours 5 mins , boils my ****.

• Haha 1

As if spam emails and heaps of scam emails aren't bad enough, at least they put in some effort. I've been getting these ones, with minor variations in wording, for about a week:

Fantastic congratulations on your reward, a bonus in digital money has been credited to your account. Head over to the website and submit precise information to verification. Best of luck.

or this one from earlier today

Big announcement: Your account received a new addition with a extra boost in crypto! Make sure to verify your information on the site. Heres to your success!

What website? There's nothing clickable and no website name. I wonder if they are just training new spammers. I have received this from at least 10 different email addresses so I can't add them all to my filters - and why bother when each email is only used once.

I can't see any possible scenario where an email like this could produce a good result for the spammer. There are roughly 350,000 people out there who were literally born yesterday but I don't think they'd be using the internet yet.

My last post is only 1 minute old and I've got another one:

Receive the mandatory money promptly by easily selecting the enclosed URL. Act without hesitation, there are only a few hours remaining.

What URL?

2 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

As if spam emails and heaps of scam emails aren't bad enough, at least they put in some effort. I've been getting these ones, with minor variations in wording, for about a week:

or this one from earlier today

What website? There's nothing clickable and no website name. I wonder if they are just training new spammers. I have received this from at least 10 different email addresses so I can't add them all to my filters - and why bother when each email is only used once.

I can't see any possible scenario where an email like this could produce a good result for the spammer. There are roughly 350,000 people out there who were literally born yesterday but I don't think they'd be using the internet yet.

Probably just AI bot testing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...

On Monday I was expecting a phone call. Didn't get it. Finally rung the person myself on Wednesday and they sincerely apologised for not ringing me and we conducted our business. The person then promised to ring me again on Thursday afternoon. Didn't ring me. I tried ringing them a couple of times yesterday, one time even being informed the individual I'm trying to get hold of was going to ring me right after a meeting. Friday lunchtime and I'm still waiting. I'm getting really, really annoyed. 

Switched bank accounts twice in the last couple of years because the high street branch has closed . Been in this new account less than 6 months and  now received a letter to say the branch is closing .Absolute pack of b######s .Wouldn`t it be nice that when you open an account and get their usual reams of terms and conditions , you could have a clause added that the branch would not close for x number of years or they would have to pay a penalty for a change .It`s all one way for these multi billion pound  companies , inconveniencing customers and dumping staff .......stupid thing is any time you use the place it`s quite busy !

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Switched bank accounts twice in the last couple of years because the high street branch has closed . Been in this new account less than 6 months and  now received a letter to say the branch is closing .Absolute pack of b######s .Wouldn`t it be nice that when you open an account and get their usual reams of terms and conditions , you could have a clause added that the branch would not close for x number of years or they would have to pay a penalty for a change .It`s all one way for these multi billion pound  companies , inconveniencing customers and dumping staff .......stupid thing is any time you use the place it`s quite busy !

I rarely need to visit an actual branch, and the last few times I've seen closure notices at two of the branches currently nearest to me. The actually local ones were shut down years ago, and I have to travel further and further.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

First world problem but it boils my ######. You are in a queue at a well known drive thru. For their ease the lane splits into two. You sit patiently and someone arrives minutes after you then goes to the other lane and gets served before you.

I have to admit if I see them ordering I drive through to order at the window to beat them. Yes immature I know.

On 14/12/2023 at 17:39, Midlands hobo said:

First world problem but it boils my ######. You are in a queue at a well known drive thru. For their ease the lane splits into two. You sit patiently and someone arrives minutes after you then goes to the other lane and gets served before you.

I have to admit if I see them ordering I drive through to order at the window to beat them. Yes immature I know.

QQ or QQQ never works , with Post Office being the worst , though in your situation Qing for scran I would do the same.

On 14/12/2023 at 17:39, Midlands hobo said:

Next time you drive through to order at the window, tell them you are blind and ask them to read you the menu.

• Haha 1

People parking in disabled bays with no blue badge. 

I blocked in rangey yesterday no badge put mine in the window. The Karen gobbed off for blocking her in I said it's a disabled spot she said I was only picking up a few bits I wasn't long....

On 15/12/2023 at 20:31, Stirlin said:

QQ or QQQ never works , with Post Office being the worst , though in your situation Qing for scran I would do the same.

I am 73, which may or may not be relevant.  Is there a translation service available to go with this?

Compared to my journey from Malton to London in October, I did the reverse journey 30 minutes quicker today.

That's still six and a half hours, though.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 month later...

Citrus Beer!!!!:kolobok_bad:

We managed perfectly well in this country. We brewed proper beer for a thousand years before the first citrus fruit turned up.

I can't stand it. How can you have a sweet bitter?

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Citrus Beer!!!!:kolobok_bad:

We managed perfectly well in this country. We brewed proper beer for a thousand years before the first citrus fruit turned up.

I can't stand it. How can you have a sweet bitter?

Fully agree can’t stand the stuff and don’t know what the obsession is

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that languages develop and change over time.  However, I do feel that where two words have related, but definitely different, meanings, we should not be so lazy or stupid that we assume them to be interchangeable. 

The BBC (of all people), in at least some of their reports, are stating that tonight's Southampton -v- Preston North End soccer match has been 'cancelled' due to a major fire at an industrial unit next to the football ground.

No it hasn't; it's been postponed.

• Like 2