Exercise4less at Wigan...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shag your team mates Mrs and you get sacked. If only Wigan had the stance against somebody who bottles a team mate (allegedly)

Wigan have sacked players for misconduct in the past, and should the situation warrant it I trust Lenegan to do it again. We're reacting off Twitter rumours here. Let the investigation take its course and when the truth comes out then we can decide if they take the right decision.

Unlike Leeds with Hardacre, Bateman isn't playing during the investigation. I fail to see what the issue is, things that can have legal implications take a long time.

pah, what are we meant to slate them for now?

Wearing cherry and white hoops?

The ###### pies in the stadium?

Uncle Joe's mintballs?

The banking crisis?

Global warming?

Warm beer?

Traffic jams on the M6?

James Anderton?

That's a very hefty fine; makes anything the RFL have ever dished out look like buttons. And 8 games at the heat of the season is no slap on the wrist either. Baring a police prosecution I don't see how they could have punished him more.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

That's a very hefty fine; makes anything the RFL have ever dished out look like buttons. And 8 games at the heat of the season is no slap on the wrist either. Baring a police prosecution I don't see how they could have punished him more.

Yup, taken seriously.

In terms of the comments about other players like Carney and Ferres being moved on, well tbh that is probably an issue for the Coach and whether he feels that the player can't be kept in the team due to squad morale issues. If Wane feels that Bateman can stay in the team and he can hold the changing roon together, then no issues.

We shouldn't just sack people for any mistake, but they are showing that they are taking this very seriously, which is commendable.

Yes, they do seem to have taken it seriously and had a resultant independent inquire.

Unable to say whether the punishment fits against what happened, as I have no idea of what happened. To be able to assess that one would need total transparency and hence what it was that actual happened and the circumstances.  I say that just from a logical perspective not from any malice towards the club.

I guess if one trusts the organisation making the decision then without the circumstances one will be confident the scale of punishment is appropriate. Their are no reasons not to trust the organisation, i.e. the club.

Yes, they do seem to have taken it seriously and had a resultant independent inquire.

Unable to say whether the punishment fits against what happened, as I have no idea of what happened. To be able to assess that one would need total transparency and hence what it was that actual happened and the circumstances.  I say that just from a logical perspective not from any malice towards the club.

I guess if one trusts the organisation making the decision then without the circumstances one will be confident the scale of punishment is appropriate. Their are no reasons not to trust the organisation, i.e. the club.

Ultimately, they don't have to punish him at all. It is completely up to them how they treat their employee, we have a justice system that should be dishing out punishments if there was anything illegal happening.

I quite like the way the club went about this (though they probably had no choice for legal reasons). Say little, but make it clear we are taking it seriously and looking into it. We have ended up with a decision which demonstrably goes against our best interest off the field, but which seems to have struck a balance between keeping John in the fold and making the punishment fit the crime. Tbh, as regards ill feelings in the squad, if McIllorum vouches for Bateman, and they appear to be friends, then that should be sufficient to keep everyone onside.

Are the Police no longer investigating the incident then?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Ultimately, they don't have to punish him at all. It is completely up to them how they treat their employee, we have a justice system that should be dishing out punishments if there was anything illegal happening.

Quite. A fair disciplinary system for employees doesn't involve broadcasting all the details of who is alleged to have done what etc when allegations are made for obvious reasons.

As I understand the incident took place where members of public could have been involved and people's safety could have been compromised, is it not in the interests of the public to see the culprit punished by the law courts rather than just his employers?

I will need to check this, but, while we do have jurisdiction over all matters that take place on the field of play involving the club, we cannot yet exercise the same control over the police as we do over referees. It can be merely a matter of time, of course. :)

Well, hurry up and check it then.

Of course, had this occurred with any other club's players, none of us would be interested and I would have serious misgivings about Bateman's absence from the Queen's honours list.

:whistle:

As I understand the incident took place where members of public could have been involved and people's safety could have been compromised, is it not in the interests of the public to see the culprit punished by the law courts rather than just his employers?

It's hardly an either/or.

I quite like the way the club went about this (though they probably had no choice for legal reasons). Say little, but make it clear we are taking it seriously and looking into it. We have ended up with a decision which demonstrably goes against our best interest off the field, but which seems to have struck a balance between keeping John in the fold and making the punishment fit the crime. Tbh, as regards ill feelings in the squad, if McIllorum vouches for Bateman, and they appear to be friends, then that should be sufficient to keep everyone onside.

I personally think theyhave made Bateman the scapegoat for it all. Well it looks like the other party has got off scot free which is wrong IMHO, the other party should have also been banned during the investigation and wasnt seems all the blame has been put on one person. Also whatever has been alledged to have happened you dont do what has been alledged without provocation

Archived