Exercise4less at Wigan...

then John M commented, suggesting people shouldn't be discussing it.

You'll have to remind me of where I did that.

Yes, apologies, skim reading I was wrong, you didn't explicitly state that.

You do appear annoyed that people discuss rumours around your club's player's behaviour though.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Leeds responses to the Hardacre incidents similar. I.e. Let's get all the facts together then act (or not as the case more or less was). Wigan under Lenegan have generally handled things quite well. Using terms like whitewash etc is a bit premature, let's give it a week so all the people involved can have their say etc, or are we all presumed guilty now in trial by Twitter?

maybe but I thought with the Hardaker case the incident was in the media or at least out in the open and yep, Leeds wanted all the facts before deciding.

So as far as Wigan then of course they should be collating the information and facts and then taking action or not. Seems strange to me that the incident isn't out in the open.... unless no incident. 

maybe but I thought with the Hardaker case the incident was in the media or at least out in the open and yep, Leeds wanted all the facts before deciding.

So as far as Wigan then of course they should be collating the information and facts and then taking action or not. Seems strange to me that the incident isn't out in the open.... unless no incident. 

Wigan have pretty much confirmed there was an incident as they are conducting an inquiry.

If this was another sport this would have been all over the media - suppose we should be happy that the Daily Mail haven't decided to publish their annual RL coverage with a double page spread on this!

I think the comments on here have been fair and responsible from all sides. Some probably misplaced righteous indignation from Wiganers (myself included), some general debate, some relatively gentle digs. It's such early days with twitter, that I am not sure we quite know what weight to place on anything - perhaps over time we will find a balance and work out what is twitter tattle and what is the truth.

If it is -

- 2 players fighting, with one seemingly more at fault than the other,

- with no outside parties involved,

as seems to be the case from the police statement and the club's gnomic statement, then it seems to me to be within the realms of one of those things we have seen at every club at some stage.

I expect that Wigan will do what any club would in their position - fudge it if the players are good players.

Happily, it looks like the Brev's reputation is intact, so his poster can stay on the wall of my boy's bedroom in EW Towers.

I think the comments on here have been fair and responsible from all sides. Some probably misplaced righteous indignation from Wiganers (myself included), some general debate, some relatively gentle digs. It's such early days with twitter, that I am not sure we quite know what weight to place on anything - perhaps over time we will find a balance and work out what is twitter tattle and what is the truth.

If it is -

- 2 players fighting, with one seemingly more at fault than the other,

- with no outside parties involved,

as seems to be the case from the police statement and the club's gnomic statement, then it seems to me to be within the realms of one of those things we have seen at every club at some stage.

I expect that Wigan will do what any club would in their position - fudge it if the players are good players.

Happily, it looks like the Brev's reputation is intact, so his poster can stay on the wall of my boy's bedroom in EW Towers.

There is also the fact that if there is any guilt to be found with any investigation, I think the days of just sacking a player are gone. As we have seen, a rival club just picks them up free of charge, and I also think we have a duty of care to players even if they have sinned.

Of course, sacking a player should always remain an option, but I like the way we have softened on this as a game and tried to educate players rather than throwing them on a scrap heap.

I remember a few years ago when I was younger being outraged by a couple of players for drink driving. Adrian Morley during a Test series where we were sponsored by a Drink Drive government campaign, which was bloody stupid - but look how Morley grew up and developed to be a great role model.

Similarly Lee Briers had an issue at Warrington and the club worked with him, particularly Smith and he matured into the leadership role he held in the team and now holds in the backroom.

We shouldn't forget that often these lads are in their early twenties - were'nt we all douchebags then?

My stance has calmed down on this kind of thing - maybe I am just becoming more chilled as I get older?

My understanding of this from someone involved at Wigan is it was a team bonding day. Sarginson was being an ###### at the races and someone put him on he's ######. This caused the split in the camp which was followed up by the more serious incident at the gym. Wane wants Sarginson to go to the GC now and also wants Bateman out no matter how much it costs Wigan. Which would show how serious it is because of how good a player Bateman is.

Not unprecedented! Hardacre played while they were investigating him. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

It does throw cold water on the "Wane doesn't want Bateman to play for Wigan again" comments because being the coach he would have stood him down.

Yes, apologies, skim reading I was wrong, you didn't explicitly state that.

You do appear annoyed that people discuss rumours around your club's player's behaviour though.

I confess to preferring documented fact over unsubstantiated rumour. I also prefer to be responsive rather than annoyed. In any case, given the forum's intense interest in all things Wigan, it would hardly be fair to expect issues like this not to be aired.

It's put my mind at rest that's for sure.

I'd heard a terrible rumour that these lads had criticised a referee. Now that would have warranted posts about respect, role models and questions of the ethos running through the club. Thankfully it was just a massive scrap that needed police intervention, time to move on and stop slurring the great Wigan name

"I'd heard a terrible rumour that these lads had criticised a referee."

I must have missed that too. Is that as well-documented as the incident that is the subject of this thread?

My stance has calmed down on this kind of thing - maybe I am just becoming more chilled as I get older?

It might just be that you feel a natural sympathy towards anyone who kicks seven shades out of a Wigan player. Even if they are a Wigan player themselves.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I confess to preferring documented fact over unsubstantiated rumour. I also prefer to be responsive rather than annoyed. In any case, given the forum's intense interest in all things Wigan, it would hardly be fair to expect issues like this not to be aired.

Hey your club's not that interesting!

How do you think us Wire fans felt when Wendall was around banging on about glamour, or Salford fans now with MK and his daily headline?

It might just be that you feel a natural sympathy towards anyone who kicks seven shades out of a Wigan player. Even if they are a Wigan player themselves.

Light at the end of the tunnel. At least  you didn't bring in all Super League and Championship clubs, by saying kick seven shades of of players from Wigan.

My understanding of this from someone involved at Wigan is it was a team bonding day. Sarginson was being an ###### at the races and someone put him on he's ######. This caused the split in the camp which was followed up by the more serious incident at the gym. Wane wants Sarginson to go to the GC now and also wants Bateman out no matter how much it costs Wigan. Which would show how serious it is because of how good a player Bateman is.

This sounds a bit far fetched to me

"I'd heard a terrible rumour that these lads had criticised a referee."

I must have missed that too. Is that as well-documented as the incident that is the subject of this thread?

Twitter John, although I agree Wigan players or officials criticising a ref is far fetched.

Much more mileage in the lesser charge of bloodshed

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Twitter John, although I agree Wigan players or officials criticising a ref is far fetched.

No, Facebook said it all began when someone used Sam's new stick deoderant! It's all there in black and blue on Aunty Rugby League!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I guess that if you do or say something on camera, it might be more reliable evidence than ,well, for example, Twitter rumours and speculation. Me? I'll reserve my condemnation when the facts are presented.

I guess that if you do or say something on camera, it might be more reliable evidence than ,well, for example, Twitter rumours and speculation. Me? I'll reserve my condemnation when the facts are presented.

Come on, you were on the edge of the crowd shouting "Fight, fight, fight!" and "Hit him Sam, when a man's deoderant is not sacred, whatever next!"

If we'd brought back the biff incidents like this would only happen on the pitch!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Back on topic. What actually happened? When did it happen? Where did it happen? Who did it involve?

nothing,it didn't, nowhere,nobody ;)

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Archived