Oldham Game

andyram

Yes Spicer and Hale are our best second row combination currently and Hale is set to play his 100th game foe Dewsbury.

I too would rest Crookes; he has worked hard this season, but lately has given awsy some penalties of late.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

We dont need Oldham signing Loan players to make it interesting, our lads will do that...I fully expect a lamentable follow up to last weeks hurrah. Its what we do....

from what I've seen of Oldham this season and the same goes for Swinton too, neither team is particularly fit, and it depends on how much they are allowed to slow the game down. I remember us, batley, once getting penalised at Doncaster for time-wasting, but that was at tattersfield, so tells you how long ago that was, but since then I've not seen any other team pulled up for it. This season both the aforementioned teams have taken it to an art form. I don't blame either side for doing it, after all you play to the whistle, but the refs have to be stronger and stop them from negating teams with better fitness. Every time they are defending, watch how many head injuries are feigned, or a sudden attack of cramp has 2 or 3 of them cynically laying down for treatment. Having said that does the time-wasting rule still exist? I reckon if they are made to play at any sort of pace you'll blow them away. Best of luck lads

When a player goes down saying he is injured or has cramp, the ref normally just stops the clock to allow the physio to attend to him.  In todays day and age I don't think any ref would take it upon themselves to penalise a team if a player goes down believing they are time wasting just in case it is a genuine injury and they would get blasted for not being sympathetic.

When a player goes down saying he is injured or has cramp, the ref normally just stops the clock to allow the physio to attend to him.  In todays day and age I don't think any ref would take it upon themselves to penalise a team if a player goes down believing they are time wasting just in case it is a genuine injury and they would get blasted for not being sympathetic.

I believe that you're confusing soccer and RL Fred. If you go down with cramp in league the play will only be stopped if you are obstructing the game, otherwise the physio will simpy come on and treat you whilst the game goes on. Only where the ref fears it may be a serious injury or where play has been stopped anyway will he call a halt.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Yes, but a lot of the times the ref doesn't know if it is only cramp that he has gone down with, is what I meant to infer.  Therefore they stop the game as they are unsure as to the extent of the injury.  And if the player is trying to gain time by having cramp, he is hardly likely to be shouting to the ref "carry on, its only cramp."

Rams by 10.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

We dont need Oldham signing Loan players to make it interesting, our lads will do that...I fully expect a lamentable follow up to last weeks hurrah.  Its what we do....

That performance must have really disappointed you Nick.

:tongue:

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

That performance must have really disappointed you Nick.

:tongue:

Indeed BSJ. My prediction of relegation and the potential new lease of life that might mean bring well and truly battered now.

Looks like 2017 will bring at least one more year of the predictable unpredictability and the ups and downs that supporting this lot means.

Am I too early to get a confident prediction of 8th for next year?

Can only play what's infront of us, and Oldham to be fair were probably poorest team we've played at home allyear, along with Sheffield. That said they fully deserved to beat us at there place but the lads look to be hitting some form now these last 2! 2 from 2, roll on fax! Weldone lads and to Morro too. Had alot of stick over last month or so but fair play to him and all the lads who are clearly playing for him!!

Can only play what's infront of us, and Oldham to be fair were probably poorest team we've played at home allyear, along with Sheffield. That said they fully deserved to beat us at there place but the lads look to be hitting some form now these last 2! 2 from 2, roll on fax! Weldone lads and to Morro too. Had alot of stick over last month or so but fair play to him and all the lads who are clearly playing for him!!

Looks like the family wedding I had to attend daahn saarf on Saturday was badly planned - missed the game I'm afraid. Well done to the Rams.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Dare I suggest that in some ways we looked better without Farrell? His boundless energy and commitment are admirable but sometimes I do wonder if he is playing to a gameplan or just his own. The pack looked quite cohesive yesterday and we were clearly playing a number of planned moves, many of which came off. I do like the Speakman/Conroy combination at hooker, although we did look a little light at times - Trout played OK but could never be described as a prop, somewhere that we are still weak in numbers if not skill.

I can honestly say that no-one had a poor game yesterday and Sykes looks like a new player with another top performance. Next week will be a different challenge altogether and Halifax's result at Whitehaven will have given them a kick up the backside, so expect a fully committed performance from them too. Bring it on!

Maybe GOR should organise another family commitment if we play so well without him?

When Farrell plays he gives we supporters an element of surprise; one minute he is playing to the game plan, the next, something of his own and sometimes this turns out to be a negative aspect of his game. We now have some games without him and will find out if we play more as a cohesive unit minus his ebullience.

I am pleased that we have our two main second-rowers, Spicer and Hale, together again (cue for a song?). I think we play better with those two on the field; it might only be my perception, but I am content with that.

I think most will agree that Sykes has begun to show that he has class and he seems settled at 6. I would have liked to have seen Teanby playing last Sunday as I have no doubt that he and Groat would have caused Oldham further trouble. Perhaps next Sunday against Halifax we will find out.

With regard to the planned moves BSJ mentioned above, I want us to perfect them (one notable version nearly worked) and use them sparingly so as not to be predictable and thus known to the opposition.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived