The crowds are coming back - League 1 record home attendance for Toulouse v York ?

The League 1 clubs voted in Toulouse unanimously. The same clubs voted in Toronto unanimously. Throwing the teddy out of the cot after the fact appears a little like sour grapes. These clubs have brought excitement and will bring crowds to the lowest tier of the professional game.

Quite right I think they understand the far reaching things that might come out of this better than all of us cos they were willing to take the risk.

I didn't want to post really Scubby I just ran out of quota on likes, again!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so when you say 'home crowd' you're referring to only fans of the home team, not neutrals (which excludes the Newcastle crowd) or away fans?

If so, honestly I'm still leaning towards the Crusaders v Oldham game. Whilst there wouldn't have been many York fans at TO, there was the FFRXIII election which I'm sure contributed a 100+ to the crowd.

I then also don't believe that more than 1,504 Oldham fans traveled to Bridgend on a Thursday night which is the difference between the two crowds.

As I said before, it's a solid crowd and I'm glad TO is continuing to draw decent crowds, but I don't feel they are at record breaking stage yet (outside of largest for and against differential)

The oldham v crusaders game was an Oldham home game, there was probably about 100 cru fans there that night.

The League 1 clubs voted in Toulouse unanimously. The same clubs voted in Toronto unanimously. Throwing the teddy out of the cot after the fact appears a little like sour grapes. These clubs have brought excitement and will bring crowds to the lowest tier of the professional game.

ha ha they won't bring a crowd to York cos in this cock eyed league York will probably go to Toulouse 3x but they don't come to us lol

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Essentially because there's no question.

The thread is......... The crowds are coming back - League 1 record home attendance for Toulouse v York ?

It is not "What I find very unfair and makes me cross by Deano" :D T O T O O!

Hillarious!!! Lol

ha ha they won't bring a crowd to York cos in this cock eyed league York will probably go to Toulouse 3x but they don't come to us lol

that statement is a bit presumptuous and only applies if York finish in top 3 in the regular rounds and 2 nd in the top 5. The point is it could happen

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

that statement is a bit presumptuous and only applies if York finish in top 3 in the regular rounds and 2 nd in the top 5. The point is it could happen

Are you having this tedious argument with yourself now?! Could you do it by PM?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Is the RFL going to pay for return flights and accomodation to Toronto?Its very kind if they are.

Aaaaaaaagh.

Here we go again. Do keep up.

For the record and the 8th million time on this forum alone.....

ALL travel and hotel bills will be FULLY FUNDED by the Toronto consortium.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

What is the crowd capacity at New River?

5,000 - I believe. I wonder what the record crowd for London Skolars is ?

( An old friend of mine and his kids are driving up from south of London to put some support behind Toulouse. That will make 3 extra ).

I'm very positive about the international expansion and it's ability to get large crowds.   Some are speculating Toulouse v Catalans will draw 20,000 in a few years time. Over time they may need to play this at an even larger venue.

The oldham v crusaders game was an Oldham home game, there was probably about 100 cru fans there that night.

Just goes to show, that plenty of fans are still lurking. If you give them something to get excited about.  Bring on Toulouse and Toronto !!

Is the RFL going to pay for return flights and accomodation to Toronto?Its very kind if they are.

You need to do your research properly.  Toulouse and Toronto pay for all of the English clubs to fly to France and Canada. Plus their own.

Where do some of you get your information from [ or don't ]?  The victims of vicious rumor and no hope society perhaps.

Maybe you're just p*ss*d off because Toronto and Toulouse will not be paying for supporters as well, and you get to miss out on a great holiday !!

And back to OT discussions ..... some of those crowds for other games are encouraging.

Yes, good point about it being on the up  - the social media is starting to spring, and as a full time squad they can do the regular hospital visits to sick kids, schools and draw in parents etc. It all helps work in the building of a local community.

This leads to bringing families along, which increases the crowd size.  The NRL have tried successfully to bring woman along and families. The image of the ocassional [ or regular ] Australian doing something totally anti social seems to be forgotten about quite quickly, or they sentence them to transportation back to Catalans etc for rehab under the cover of darkness.

I think Toronto seem to be showing signs of setting even more benchmarks which pro active clubs with self funding capability can use. I'm impressed with their marketing so far - but it seems to be focused on "rough and tough". They may need to finesse that a bit for family followings otherwise it may be a bit closer to boxing crowds. They'll sort it I'm sure.

Like boxing crowds?  I will have you know us boxing fans are noble intelligentsia. 

But, yes, I know what you mean.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Imagine when they get to the promised land that they would be allowed to spend 3x as much as the rest of the clubs

Hello mate!

A top tip for posting on forums!  Before clicking 'Post', ask yourself "Have I made this post so often that people cringe when they see my name and think I am a boring tosser?".

If no, then click away!

Happy posting and good luck :D

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Without wanting to take this too far off topic, is the arrangement with Toronto paying a permanent one or just contracted for a certain number of years? Will it continue even if they reach Super League and are playing pro clubs?

On crowds, it's difficult for clubs to build crowds because there is so much competition from other sports and activities. The RFL needs to be helping clubs with their marketing strategies. A lot of clubs outside SL rely on volunteers who have little or no expertise in areas like marketing and they could really do with some help. It's one thing giving out money but it would be better if the RFL really helped clubs in a more direct way. Surely it wouldn't be that expensive to have someone employed by the RFL going round visiting all the clubs in the Championship and League One and giving them direct help in this area? Could visit each club once a month and spend a couple of hours helping with promotional material and ideas on how to build crowds. If you add 100 people on every Championship club's average gate and 50 on L1 gates that's thousands more people watching the sport and I don't think it's unrealistic.

I don't think people at the top of the game realise how much clubs rely on volunteers who just need a bit of guidance and help to make their clubs better. They have passion for their clubs and some give up a ridiculous amount of time and money for the cause. Investing in training these people would be a solid investment for the sport.

Here's the video of the Toulouse v York game :

What do you need to market with:

Facebook

Twitter

A You Tube video

A local band playing

Free pass for school kids [ they'll bring their mates and families ]

A positive atmosphere

Happy sponsors

A club / community bonding visit o/seas

Here's a club air charter by Toulouse for their sponsors to visit Newcastle.  It's where it all starts:

It's not just about money - it's much more.

You'll get a sense of the buzz in Toulouse

"What do you need to market with:

Facebook

Twitter

A You Tube video

A local band playing

A positive atmosphere

Happy sponsors

A club / community bonding visit o/seas"

Good lessons for many in the game.

Exactly. You don't need a marketing degree for that or a visit from the RFL.  

I'm sure the Toronto boys will do it great to. C'mon English Clubs .... get creative.

In term of communication and crowd development, it seems that the clubs are the only ones to take this responsability (except maybe in SL). Has the RFL showned some support to League 1 or provided some mentoring to structure a communication or crowd-oriented strategy?   

before making to much positive statement on Toulouse crowd, i would wait 2 or 3 years. 

"Has the RFL showned some support to League 1 or provided some mentoring to structure a communication or crowd-oriented strategy?"

Pass        "C'est mon dernier mot Jean-Pierre!" :biggrin:

Here's the video of the Toulouse v York game :

What do you need to market with:

Facebook

Twitter

A You Tube video

A local band playing

A positive atmosphere

Happy sponsors

A club / community bonding visit o/seas

Here's a club air charter by Toulouse for their sponsors to visit Newcastle.  It's where it all starts:

It's not just about money - it's much more.

You'll get a sense of the buzz in Toulouse

Impressive - particularly impressed that one of their fans had a megaphone!

Archived