The crowds are coming back - League 1 record home attendance for Toulouse v York ?

RL is ripe for gentrification and I think Skolars will be the epicenter of the hipster takeover!

You know, I have argued that for a few years with a straight face!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RL is ripe for gentrification and I think Skolars will be the epicenter of the hipster takeover!

There's some keen truth in this.   If you look at the exodus from the old towns to the new, with progressive people responding to change, it speaks volumes.

Go to where the growth and excitement is.   Some of the old timers may be converted.

I've seen it in the city I live in, Sydney. When tourists started to trickle, then flood,  it came with a progressive change in the attitudes and services on offer.  Food, fashion, nightlife, something to strive for, something to entertain with, events etc  - it became limitless. 12 years later, the Olympics were held here - unthinkable a generation before. The city moved from being insular to one of becoming a multicultural World class city with it's hosts promoting all within it, very proudly.

The RLWC was a sensational success with all the foreign players bringing a sparkle to the heartlands.  Just look how the English people responded.  This is what the game needs more of.   And that type of thing can be built around.

Toulouse wear pink shirts on their away games. simply they come from the "pink" city, famous for it's pink architecture.  The Tourism industry is working alongside Toulouse to raise it's profile.  Small beginnings, but that's the seed of things.

There are ways, and the RFL / Clubs should be encouraged with good ideas from all those involved and find ways to be working together better.

Look at that Newcastle video above for example. It's a start. 

Look at how London Skolars are talking and thinking. It's a start.

Toulouse, Toronto, Montreal, USA, Carcasonne, Hong Kong,   If folks start talking positively, things will happen, ideas will form.

just to clear up a few "records"

3,441 was the 3rd tier record when celtic crusaders played oldham at bridgend on friday 4th may 2007,the night before the first magic weekend..cracking game too

in the return fixture on thursday 30th august 4,327 turned up at boundary park...thats still the 3rd tier  record

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

There's some keen truth in this.   If you look at the exodus from the old towns to the new, with progressive people responding to change, it speaks volumes.

Go to where the growth and excitement is.   Some of the old timers may be converted.

I've seen it in the city I live in, Sydney. When tourists started to trickle, then flood,  it came with a progressive change in the attitudes and services on offer.  Food, fashion, nightlife, something to strive for, something to entertain with, events etc  - it became limitless. 12 years later, the Olympics were held here - unthinkable a generation before. The city moved from being insular to one of becoming a multicultural World class city with it's hosts promoting all within it, very proudly.

The RLWC was a sensational success with all the foreign players bringing a sparkle to the heartlands.  Just look how the English people responded.  This is what the game needs more of.   And that type of thing can be built around.

Toulouse wear pink shirts on their away games. simply they come from the "pink" city, famous for it's pink architecture.  The Tourism industry is working alongside Toulouse to raise it's profile.  Small beginnings, but that's the seed of things.

There are ways, and the RFL / Clubs should be encouraged with good ideas from all those involved and find ways to be working together better.

Look at that Newcastle video above for example. It's a start. 

Look at how London Skolars are talking and thinking. It's a start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzQdxpryiaU

Toulouse, Toronto, Montreal, USA, Carcasonne, Hong Kong,   If folks start talking positively, things will happen, ideas will form.

Gosh Hector with hair and a reminder why the 4G pitch was needed!

just to clear up a few "records"

3,441 was the 3rd tier record when celtic crusaders played oldham at bridgend on friday 4th may 2007,the night before the first magic weekend..cracking game too

in the return fixture on thursday 30th august 4,327 turned up at boundary park...thats still the 3rd tier  record

That's something to work towards. Good crowd.  Did anything in particular spark the numbers?

Good to see 550 at Skolars last Sat. There were 450 when we played Doncaster a couple of weeks previously so hoping we can continue to build. Rather depressingly just realised we had 20 more than Broncos.

Good to see 550 at Skolars last Sat. There were 450 when we played Doncaster a couple of weeks previously so hoping we can continue to build. Rather depressingly just realised we had 20 more than Broncos.

That's good to hear.  You can include my friend and his 2 kids in that total who drove up from Surrey. I couldn't make it - sorry, I'm based in Sydney !!

Something's gotta be done about the London Bronco's support and interest in London. Surely the RFL can help with a strategy to build that crowd with the Super 8's coming up.

Unfortunately the Broncos have never been well supported even when they were fast tracked to the promised land and kept afloat in there. What more can the rfl do?

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Unfortunately the Broncos have never been well supported even when they were fast tracked to the promised land and kept afloat in there. What more can the rfl do?

That is the a really pertinent question to all that we talk about on here: What more can they do, what more should they do, and what more must they do?

As the center of TGG in the UK it's their job to find the answers to those questions..

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I dont want to turn this into what to do about Broncos but...

It sounds like Ealing as a ground is working well and there appears to be some local media interest and community outreach which, over time, could build locally based support. As things stand most London fans travel a considerable distance and the problem is Trailblazers is a long haul particularly on Sunday when the station is shut. The last two seasons a group of us (7) travelled to Barnet for a couple of games - a long enough trip but one that did involve too many changes. This season we have not bothered. A Sunday trip from east London would involve:

Train

Tube x1

Tube x2

Train

Bus

Probably three hours each way (a trip to Wakefield would take less time). I am sure I am not the only RL fan in the capital who struggle with the journey.

I dont want to turn this into what to do about Broncos but...

It sounds like Ealing as a ground is working well and there appears to be some local media interest and community outreach which, over time, could build locally based support. As things stand most London fans travel a considerable distance and the problem is Trailblazers is a long haul particularly on Sunday when the station is shut. The last two seasons a group of us (7) travelled to Barnet for a couple of games - a long enough trip but one that did involve too many changes. This season we have not bothered. A Sunday trip from east London would involve:

Train

Tube x1

Tube x2

Train

Bus

Probably three hours each way (a trip to Wakefield would take less time). I am sure I am not the only RL fan in the capital who struggle with the journey.

Where are you coming in from?

Just realised that Ealing Broadway is on the night tube which starts on 19th Aug

no. Just stating facts

The thing is your not, you are just quoting your opinion!

As the skolars are showing if you stay in the same place and engage in the community you can grow! When they were perennial wooden spoonist's at the foot of the table (and gatehead) there were calls for them to pack it in but the short term pain seems to be turning into long term gain!

If the skolars keep going in the right direction they will be the top London club! Maybe Lewis's plan of two top London clubs wasn't as much a dream as people thought!

I totally admire the scholars. Fantastic club not nomadic and always stood on their own two feet. Fact the Broncos have always been poorly supported and fact that they were fast tracked to super league. Me thinks they were kept afloat too

I totally admire the skolars. Fantastic club not nomadic and always stood on their own two feet. Fact the Broncos have always been poorly supported and fact that they were fast tracked to super league. Me thinks they were kept afloat too

I agree about the skolars too. But how is it that you never mention that having the Broncos has had a huge beneficial influence on a lot of aspects of the game,not just the number of London born players in SL but the development of a lot RL in London is due to their existence in SL.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

They've been around 35 years. How many good players have they developed?

What are York doing to develop young players? What work do they do in the community?

Broncos and Skolars are working at developing the game in and around London.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

What are York doing to develop young players? What work do they do in the community?

Broncos and Skolars are working at developing the game in and around London.

more than half of Yorks players are from local amateur sides or came through the reserves when we had a reserve team

Archived