2017 Featherstone Rovers squad.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was well known but Jack Ormondroyd has been confirmed by Leeds as having signed for them on a 3-year contract. More interesting is the last line: "We will be continuing our dual registration arrangement with Featherstone next season and that will allow Jack to continue his develop in games as well.” I'd take short odds that Jack plays more games for us than Leeds next year.

http://www.therhinos.co.uk/news/ormondroyd-gets-super-league-chance-with-rhinos-25941#.V_dSiMleTE0

On a minor note, Brad Hill who was a member of our first-team squad but barely played this year (though he made the 19-man squad a few times), has signed for Batley.

Kain signed for us again next year at first I thought he was past it but towards the end of the season he was playing well he's got some brilliant moves just needs some good runners off of him

It was against you (Rams) in June 2014 that I first saw glimpses of his future as a 7 rather than a 6. It was Briggsy's last game for us before he signed for Sheffield (did Briggs go on loan to Rams in between?) Anyway, Gaz Moore was first choice no. 7 back then but was out injured so Briggs played 7 (1st receiver) for probably the first ever time, and was having a nightmare.  We  were losing and clearly second best up 'til then so Andy Hay brought him off and never played him again. He brought Jack Bussey on at 6 and moved Kainy to scrum half where he had a blinder and turned the game around- why he didn't just swap their positions around I'll never know? Hay never learned his lesson from that day and never saw his potential to switch inside as he got older. Kain was released at the end of the season but he went on to Hunslet and then to Dewsbury to rebuild his career as a midfield organizer. There's a few years left in him in that position.

Andy kain wouldn't come back to Fev anyway so don't worry But as has been said we need better quality if we to try and kick on from this year

We also need top quality cover, but these need to be players who won't throw their teddy out if not in the team. I too am not too sure that Andy Kain fits the bill but I wish him all the best, and feel that he will get better as an organizer just like Thacks did later in his career.

Just reading again through JS's comments to the P&C Express last week, he talks of potentially making "some tough calls on people who have been really important for the club." Seems to suggest there might be a surprise departure or two amongst our existing players, though hard to guess who (if any); could just mean contract negotiations are still going on.

Tim Spears not been offered a new contract for next season

Yep, that's a "tough call". Tim isn't the most talented player to have represented us in recent years (though his defence has always been excellent), but few have been such honest and wholehearted servants to the club, and despite the brief early period of his career spent on the darkside, he is Featherstone through and through.

Looking at it objectively, you can see why this decision might have been made, and indeed it's perhaps an indication of JS' ambitions in terms of being unsentimental about wanting to get better, but it's always sad to see such a stalwart of the club depart.

Tims been a great servant, model proffesional attitude and awesome leader and grafter on the field. Jon sharpe stated hes looking for players with punch in attack, while its a tough call i think its the right 1, with what hes trying to build. Good luck to tim and thanks for your efforts. Sure he will serve anothet championship club well for a year or 2 if he decides to play on.

Tim has been great over the years at Fev but if we are to try and move to another level next year and get in the top four again certain players will need to leave Good luck to Tim wherever he ends up

Im sorry to see him go.His defence is very good and would have kept him as a squad player on a reduced contract to cover injuries.The player I would pay big money for is Mullaly at Leeds is it a possibility Leeds may sell him to us ?? I dont know.Anyway is there any news on Craven leaving or any more of the backs that didnt hack it for us IMO this is the area to dismantle and not the forwards who did good.

If Mullaly is on for example 50k a year and not playing first team rugby and we offer say 75 k on a two year contract playing first team for us and in the public eye I would believe it would be quite tempting dont you???.As for Spears at his age is he gonna get the same pay as Fev have paid him I think its highly unlikely thats why I would retain him on a reduced (that means less I think you struggled with this) contract to stay in a homely environment then everyones happy.

Ha ha yer money going to be gone by Xmas :lol:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Well weve earnt probably with home match takings and 370k from sky a decent amount of money so I am sure we can afford 75k on a top class player for two years who is a young big forward or do we go down the route of buying mediocre championship spec players that give their all but are average and dont have that extra bit to hack it in the middle 8s if we get there.

If Mullaly is on for example 50k a year and not playing first team rugby and we offer say 75 k on a two year contract playing first team for us and in the public eye I would believe it would be quite tempting dont you???.As for Spears at his age is he gonna get the same pay as Fev have paid him I think its highly unlikely thats why I would retain him on a reduced (that means less I think you struggled with this) contract to stay in a homely environment then everyones happy.

I think the responses on this thread sum up my thoughts on this far better than I could myself. Thanks for the English lesson, I was struggling with the meaning of the word reduced. Mind you, if what you quote as the kind of offers that Featherstone are clearly offering, I am sure Mr Spears would lap up a reduced offer from Fev! I wouldn't think even the most financially astute club in the Championship would match a Fev 'reduced contract.'

Oh and no, I wouldn't think Mullaly would be even the slightest bit interested in leaving Leeds to join you for a regular mention in the P and C Express, rather than almost weekly exposure on Sky and playing in front of 15000+ every week, 

I honestly think at Spears age he will be lucky to get a similar deal than the one that hes on and I would like to retain but you seem to know more than everyone else including Tim so there you go .I dont know which club you follow but as a Fev fan I want the money we have got is spent not to a degree which makes us skint but on quality players to take us to the next level which the club deserves.Incidentaly I asked my six year old Grand daughter and she knew that reduced meant less.

Well weve earnt probably with home match takings and 370k from sky a decent amount of money so I am sure we can afford 75k on a top class player for two years who is a young big forward or do we go down the route of buying mediocre championship spec players that give their all but are average and dont have that extra bit to hack it in the middle 8s if we get there.

pikey lad.... 75k at championship level is never going to happen unless a derek like gadgy is floating a wad about

Our highest earner wouldn't earn half that.

Look at the numbers pikey.... 75k is way above any championship squad and way above many at SL clubs

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

pikey lad.... 75k at championship level is never going to happen unless a derek like gadgy is floating a wad about

Our highest earner wouldn't earn half that.

Look at the numbers pikey.... 75k is way above any championship squad and way above many at SL clubs

I got told off a close friend to zak that he was on 150 k a year at Leeds so 75 k on a better player IMO is probably the guessable contract

Archived